TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Owners of 2016 Shelby GT 350 tech package and Ford

All of us have a car that can't be tracked and is less desirable than the 2017 or 2018 for resale.

Ford doesn't have a solution that works.

Having spent hours on the phone with Ford, Shelby, SVT I have gotten no were.

Just finished a meeting with a Law Firm that gets it.

Class action more desirable

If you are in the same boat, let me know

apndx@aol.com

Ha! I'd suggest you check out what they cost and how much you'll net out. If you don't like it you'll be better off just selling the car and moving on. It'll be a pile of rusty bolts before you ever get anything out of it and you'll have to sell it for less then than now.

The only ones that make out when lawyers get involved ... is the lawyers.

+1

Understandably confused with you as to why Ford would build a new GT350 that can't be tracked but the tech pack cars weren't meant for track use because not everyone tracks their cars. Most likely won't get anywhere with that. Don't waste your money on a lawyer. Recommend selling for a Track Pack car or 2017-up GT350 if you have the $$. Another option is installing the Shelby designed transmission cooler, see link and description below. It looks to be a cost-effective solution:

2015-2017 GT350 TRANSMISSION COOLER SCOOP

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/shelby-30.htm

Applications

2015-2017 Shelby GT350

Developed by Shelby's R&D team and track tested, the GT350 transmission air cooler is designed to not only bring cold air up directly on the vehicle's transmission, but to also isolate the transmission from the heat of the catalytic converters to improve cooling and maintain performance.

Guest markham51

+1

Understandably confused with you as to why Ford would build a new GT350 that can't be tracked but the tech pack cars weren't meant for track use because not everyone tracks their cars. Most likely won't get anywhere with that. Don't waste your money on a lawyer. Recommend selling for a Track Pack car or 2017-up GT350 if you have the $$. Another option is installing the Shelby designed transmission cooler, see link and description below. It looks to be a cost-effective solution:

2015-2017 GT350 TRANSMISSION COOLER SCOOP

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/shelby-30.htm

Applications

2015-2017 Shelby GT350

Developed by Shelby's R&D team and track tested, the GT350 transmission air cooler is designed to not only bring cold air up directly on the vehicle's transmission, but to also isolate the transmission from the heat of the catalytic converters to improve cooling and maintain performance.

+1

I don't track my car but if I wanted to I would look to aftermarket solutions long before I considered hiring lawyers.

Secondo, you are incorrect in your assessment. No where did Ford ever state that Tech cars couldn't be tracked or would go into limp mode if they were tracked. None of the the GT350 marketing hype about their most capable track car mentioned it only applied to R models or track cars.

But, I do agree with twoshelbys, the only winners will be the lawyers and years and years in litigation. One more suit against Ford won't bother them a bit.

Secondo, you are incorrect in your assessment. No where did Ford ever state that Tech cars couldn't be tracked or would go into limp mode if they were tracked. None of the the GT350 marketing hype about their most capable track car mentioned it only applied to R models or track cars.

But, I do agree with twoshelbys, the only winners will be the lawyers and years and years in litigation. One more suit against Ford won't bother them a bit.

Taken directly from page 25 of the 2016 GT350 owner's manual supplement:

Operating at High Speeds and on Track Days

Your vehicle is capable of sustained high speeds and track day driving if equipped with powertrain coolers (Track, R model).

Note: Obey all traffic laws and only operate your vehicle at locations designed to do so safely.

Before operating your vehicle at high speeds, follow these guidelines.

• Verify your tires have the correct tire pressures (see Tires in this supplement).

• Inspect wheels and tires for wear and damage. Replace any damaged wheels or tires.

• Do not operate your vehicle at high speeds with more than two passengers or while carrying cargo.

For sustained high speeds or track day use with a Base or Tech model, we recommend that transmission and differential coolers are added. Your vehicle has electronic controls to reduce power and/or limit RPM to reduce powertrain temperatures if required.

Link:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2015-2016-Mustang-Shelby-GT350-Supplement-version-1_su_EN-US_07_2015.pdf

Edit: Taken directly from the 2015-2016 GT350 owner's manual supplement.

Edited by Secondo

Taken directly from page 25 of the 2016 GT350 owner's manual supplement:

Operating at High Speeds and on Track Days

Your vehicle is capable of sustained high speeds and track day driving if equipped with powertrain coolers (Track, R model).

Note: Obey all traffic laws and only operate your vehicle at locations designed to do so safely.

Before operating your vehicle at high speeds, follow these guidelines.

• Verify your tires have the correct tire pressures (see Tires in this supplement).

• Inspect wheels and tires for wear and damage. Replace any damaged wheels or tires.

• Do not operate your vehicle at high speeds with more than two passengers or while carrying cargo.

For sustained high speeds or track day use with a Base or Tech model, we recommend that transmission and differential coolers are added. Your vehicle has electronic controls to reduce power and/or limit RPM to reduce powertrain temperatures if required.

Link:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2015-2016-Mustang-Shelby-GT350-Supplement-version-1_su_EN-US_07_2015.pdf

Edit: Taken directly from the 2015-2016 GT350 owner's manual supplement.

Exactly. This suite will go no where. If wanted a track car, why would you buy a tech car? Black and white right in the owners manual supplement. Move on or modify the car for track. It's not that difficult. I have a few friends who bought the tech pack because they will never do track days and love the car.

Yes Secondo, we all know about the one sentence in the owner's manual. Nothing new there. But, there was tons of hype, and advertisements by Ford bragging about this great track car. I will say, granted, if you planned on tracking the car often, coolers and a track pack car was the way to go to protect your car's vitals. There are also reports of these cars going into limp mode while not racing which is never a good thing. Personally, I feel that having the cats on both sides of the transmission definitely exacerbates the overheating of the tranny - especially in the summer.

I'm not here to debate it, it has been beaten to death already.

Here is Ford's first commercial for the car.

Edited by springer

In 1987 I was flying from Detroit to LA and reading some Ford Tech manuals on the plane.

The guy sitting next to me asked who I worked for and I told him Ford Division.

Well, for the next 2 1/2 hours I had to hear all about how his Crown Vic wouldn't stop leaking oil and that he was going to sue Ford and the selling dealer.

I tried to be polite and explain the Lemon Law rules to him and that Ford always works through their dealers.

He didn't want to hear any of it.

My closing comments as we exited the plane, "if you think your lawyer can beat my 150 lawyers, I wish you luck."

I left Ford in May 1988 but from that day forward whenever I was asked on a plane who I worked for, the answer was always 'Morton Salt.'

In 1987 I was flying from Detroit to LA and reading some Ford Tech manuals on the plane.

The guy sitting next to me asked who I worked for and I told him Ford Division.

Well, for the next 2 1/2 hours I had to hear all about how his Crown Vic wouldn't stop leaking oil and that he was going to sue Ford and the selling dealer.

I tried to be polite and explain the Lemon Law rules to him and that Ford always works through their dealers.

He didn't want to hear any of it.

My closing comments as we exited the plane, "if you think your lawyer can beat my 150 lawyers, I wish you luck."

I left Ford in May 1988 but from that day forward whenever I was asked on a plane who I worked for, the answer was always 'Morton Salt.'

Ha! If you truly want to be left alone on an airplane, tell the person you sell life insurance... because I do sell life insurance and this is the fastest way to get someone to go in the opposite direction. ;)

Yes Secondo, we all know about the one sentence in the owner's manual. Nothing new there. But, there was tons of hype, and advertisements by Ford bragging about this great track car. I will say, granted, if you planned on tracking the car often, coolers and a track pack car was the way to go to protect your car's vitals. There are also reports of these cars going into limp mode while not racing which is never a good thing. Personally, I feel that having the cats on both sides of the transmission definitely exacerbates the overheating of the tranny - especially in the summer.

I'm not here to debate it, it has been beaten to death already.

Here is Ford's first commercial for the car.

+1, Not here to debate it either, just posting some additional info:

Yes, as stated above , the owner’s manual does make some delineation about which models are intended for Track use. However, some of the complaints people are making are born of Ford’s Marketing and Media Releases and on the surface it does appear misleading. Just take for example on Ford’s Media pages. Here is quote from a Ford Media Page that has been in existence since near the beginning of the “marketing hype” surrounding the 2015+ GT350 and it still quite boldly makes the following statement and it does not delineate models for track or street.

Cut and pasted from Ford Media Page:

SHELBY GT350 MUSTANG

The all-new Shelby GT350 Mustang, featuring the most powerful naturally aspirated Ford production engine ever, is a world-class performance vehicle, designed to tackle the planet’s most challenging roads – an all-day track car that’s also street legal.

Here is the link:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/products/cars/mustang/shelby-gt350-mustang.html

wow, most of you guys who don't want to talk on an airplane and go to extra effort to not do so I bet are the same type of guys that if somebody on the plane asked you what kind of car you drove.......... you would proceed to bore them to tears for an entire flight talking about your Shelbys............

I was also very surprised and critical of Ford here for even creating a GT350 that wasn't track capable. It seems to be a huge oxymoron or a contradiction! In any case, simply adding the necessary mods can resolve the issue, and they are cost-effective. The rest of the car is track capable, especially the suspension and engine. Here is a very interesting thread about a person who added his own custom transmission cooler to his Tech car.

http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=8852

You guys have a good point, though, the guys that bought the car to track had no idea they couldn't until they read the manual or tried to track it. Ford should have their dealers install coolers for them.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, most of you guys who don't want to talk on an airplane and go to extra effort to not do so I bet are the same type of guys that if somebody on the plane asked you what kind of car you drove.......... you would proceed to bore them to tears for an entire flight talking about your Shelbys............

:hysterical2: