TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Shelby Ford Mustang being unveiled on 1-19-2017 at B-J Scottsdale

mhr1961

Well on Shelby American's facebook page they also used the hashtag #50years. So that would lead me to believe it is the new GT500. But I do find it weird that it would be at Barrett-Jackson and with SA and not at a major auto show being unveiled from Ford. So I guess all we can do is wait and see.

From what I understand, it's a new SAI Car and not a Ford Car being unveiled. BUT...........It could be BOTH........The GT 500 by Ford converted to a KR by SAI. The Prototype, built on a 2017 Mustang. maybe going to be Auctioned off at B-J Las Vegas.

The '15 GT350 was unveiled in Gardena. Not a major auto show.

My assumption is that this will be made on 2018, which 50yrs would equate to 1968. What was introduced in '68 other than the KR? '68 is when Shelby entered Trans Am with the coupes, right? That lead to the TRT?

I thought Shelby entered Trans Am in 1966 with the Coupes and the Terlingua started in 1967.

(See Side Scoops)

jerry-titus-1967-ford-mustang a.jpg

SA did offer a free "King of the Road" pin with any purchase over CS's birthday. I got mine. My bet is it will be a KR on Ford's new GT500.

KRpin.pdf

Edited by ShelbyKR664

I thought Shelby entered Trans Am in 1966 with the Coupes and the Terlingua started in 1967.

(See Side Scoops)

After consultation with this new gadget called google, you are correct. I was thinking Trans Am was born out of another series and 'Trans Am' didn't take until '68. I know the cars used by TRT were '67s, but again I was thinking they didn't appear on the track until '68. I'm likely incorrect, and wouldn't be my 1st time.

Edit: Yes, after another google inquiry, I am indeed incorrect.

Edited by EL SHELBY

Keith posted this on Mustang6g

A lot of passion on this forum, which I appreciate!
A couple things I'd like to point out. Most important is that Shelby is partnered solely with Ford for our vehicles. In order to modify such an outstanding base platform, everything we do now is with cooperation and approval with them. This is why we get to unveil cars in their booths! The new vehicle features a few nice first-to-market products and I know there are going to be a few parts on this car that members on the forum will wish to purchase. Parts that we designed that are exclusive to our company. We even use a few OE manufacturing partners on this forum that you guys know and love. The new car in Ford's booth is also a strong exercise in bringing back a competitive offering in parts support for Shelby Performance Parts. We're not restricting as many production vehicle parts from distribution and also, the emphasis is offering pricing that is competitive in the market. Our market, now, is worldwide and we sell (and build) Shelbys in the UK, Germany, Australia, South Africa, Canada and China. The embargo for the new car is lifted next Thurs, 19th at 11am PST. Mustang 6g admins have been added to press list. I know I'm not on these forums often but will always happily answer questions (that I can) directly by email keithc@shelby.com I know there will be lots after the car is unveiled. Thanks so much for the enthusiasm and support!

If I remember a conversation I had with Gary P. about the GT350 the agreement with Ford was that SAI would not do anything for the GT350, meaning nothing. I am not holding him to the exact comment but I understood that SAI won't touch the GT350 as long as Ford is building them.

How can it be a KR if there is no GT500? Somehow I can't see SAI unveiling a new GT500KR before Ford unveils a new GT500

Article states Legendary Shelby Mustang name so that is very limited to what it can be if not a GT350 or GT500?? The Super Snake is already being done so I have 2 idea's, either an R version of the Shelby GT meaning a track ready car or a King Cobra Mustang but that name was on the Mustang II so who knows its alphabet soup right now

The folks at Shelby and other select people already saw the 2018 Mustang months ago (which i know for a fact, but they wouldnt tell me the changes :cry: ). There is an embargo on the information for the 2018 Mustang, which i believe Ford had a private news conference on the 10th, but the media had to sign a waiver or something that they couldnt release any information till a certain date (which i believe is early next week). So if Ford debuts a GT500, maybe the car one Thursday is a GT500KR. Who knows, could be an exciting week next week

Edited by ShelbyEra08

Interesting additional info. I just didn't/don't expect Ford to offer a GT350 and a GT500 in the same model year. However, they would be foolish to not acknowledge the KR on its 50th.

Additionally, who says Ford and Shelby cannot introduce a GT500 and a GT500KR at the same time?

Interesting additional info. I just didn't/don't expect Ford to offer a GT350 and a GT500 in the same model year. However, they would be foolish to not acknowledge the KR on its 50th.

Additionally, who says Ford and Shelby cannot introduce a GT500 and a GT500KR at the same time?

Could be a Limited Production Run like the Cobra Jet is........only 50 Built? :whistling:

The new 2017 Yenko Corvette was just unveiled (ahead of the B-J debut). They must of heard about what Shelby was doing

http://www.motortrend.com/news/800-hp-yenko-2017-chevy-corvette-unveiled-ahead-of-barrett-jackson-debut/

Edited by tesgt350

The folks at Shelby and other select people already saw the 2018 Mustang months ago (which i know for a fact, but they wouldnt tell me the changes :cry: ). There is an embargo on the information for the 2018 Mustang, which i believe Ford had a private news conference on the 10th, but the media had to sign a waiver or something that they couldnt release any information till a certain date (which i believe is early next week). So if Ford debuts a GT500, maybe the car one Thursday is a GT500KR. Who knows, could be an exciting week next week

I sure hope one of the changes is the whole front end.....Can't wait and see what they unveil on the 19th.

The new 2017 Yenko Corvette was just unveiled (ahead of the B-J debut). They must of heard about what Shelby was doing

http://www.motortrend.com/news/800-hp-yenko-2017-chevy-corvette-unveiled-ahead-of-barrett-jackson-debut/

Yenko Vette!!....800hp!!....Nice!!...............I just hope they fix the poor paint quality it looks like the surface of the moon.

15994583_1410644702293450_11708144522772

I want to say it could be a new KR

Anyone can clearly see the KR scoops through the car cover so a KR is the likely choice, but again unless Ford is unveiling a GT500 at the same time how can SAI unveil a KR without the GT500?

I am very curious as rumor was that Ford would finally offer an Automatic in the next GT500 so I am waiting to see. And sitting next to my 2008 GT500KR a new one would be great

I change my prediction on the car and now say it will be a 50th Annv. Super Snake limited to 50 cars

SAI cannot do anything with the GT350 per agreement with Ford and how can it be a KR without a GT500 and no way do I see SAI unveiling a new GT500KR before Ford unveils a new GT500. It could be an R track ready version of a Shelby GT, but two key words Legendary Shelby Mustang and #50 therefore I am saying it will be a 50th Annv. Super Snake

They have to save the KR for 2018 and hopefully 2019.

I want matching CSM #s.

Edit.

While I would prefer a KR be based on a GT500 I would gladly take one based on the GT over not having one at all. To interest me I would also expect it to have many unique parts.

Hopefully I would be able to afford it. ?

Edited by sheppd01

The Shelby GT came after the Hertz, but since there is already the GTE that is essentially a Hertz with color options that takes that off the table. I honestly don't see room for another car with the current power plant unless it is an Eco-Boost option. They already have too many options that are very similar and share many parts, they certainly don't need another one. I hope it's different in every way then the current options, that would be a great move in my opinion.

No one thought there would be a 2015 Super Snake, till SAI rolled one out based on a Mustang GT.....(the SS community got over it, kinda )

....................Using SAI's thought process, a KR based on a GT makes perfect sense..

...Only question for me, will it be a pre or post title conversion ??

I may be completely alone on this, but I just can't get into all the excitement and hype of a "release" when there are only 50 cars produced. Or even 500. Low production numbers make the car near 100% unattainable, regardless of you affluence and enthusiasm. Outside of bragging rights for the builder (and 50 or less lucky SOG's), it does ZERO for the consumer. I really, really hope there isn't some ultra low production cap on whatever it is that's coming.

What especially gets me upset is stupid stuff like this quote from the linked article... "Move over, Hellcat. There’s a new horsepower king in town." ...Um, no, there isn't. Practically no one will ever see one because of how few there are, vs. there are about 30,000+ Hellcats on the road that basically demolish 99.9% of the vehicles on the road. When it come to numbers of cars produced and performance, the only stock car that comes close to the Hellcat is the 13/14 GT500 and in most cases, its a driver's race.

I may be completely alone on this, but I just can't get into all the excitement and hype of a "release" when there are only 50 cars produced. Or even 500. Low production numbers make the car near 100% unattainable, regardless of you affluence and enthusiasm. Outside of bragging rights for the builder (and 50 or less lucky SOG's), it does ZERO for the consumer. I really, really hope there isn't some ultra low production cap on whatever it is that's coming.

What especially gets me upset is stupid stuff like this quote from the linked article... "Move over, Hellcat. There’s a new horsepower king in town." ...Um, no, there isn't. Practically no one will ever see one because of how few there are, vs. there are about 30,000+ Hellcats on the road that basically demolish 99.9% of the vehicles on the road. When it come to numbers of cars produced and performance, the only stock car that comes close to the Hellcat is the 13/14 GT500 and in most cases, its a driver's race.

Well said and I agree...build it so that many people can and will enjoy it.