TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Shelby Ford Mustang being unveiled on 1-19-2017 at B-J Scottsdale

mhr1961

This picture below was posted on a couple of other sites. It appears to be an unveiling of a new Shelby Ford Mustang and was announced on the Shelby American’s Facebook Page. This topic is also being discussed in other Mustang Forums. For those of us who “don’t do Facebook” , I thought I would post it as a topic on TS for discussion/thoughts on what it might be.

15895223_1407705409254046_63880554306656

This may be a long shot, but SA continued the SS builds on GTs since Ford stopped making GT500s, it is possible they would resurrect the KR and put it on the 2018 Mustang GT?

There has been some great conversations and forum posts on how people feel (good/bad/indifferent) on the SS, and I wonder how KR owners and enthusiasts would feel if such a thing happened.

If I remember a conversation I had with Gary P. about the GT350 the agreement with Ford was that SAI would not do anything for the GT350, meaning nothing. I am not holding him to the exact comment but I understood that SAI won't touch the GT350 as long as Ford is building them.

How can it be a KR if there is no GT500? Somehow I can't see SAI unveiling a new GT500KR before Ford unveils a new GT500

Article states Legendary Shelby Mustang name so that is very limited to what it can be if not a GT350 or GT500?? The Super Snake is already being done so I have 2 idea's, either an R version of the Shelby GT meaning a track ready car or a King Cobra Mustang but that name was on the Mustang II so who knows its alphabet soup right now

If I remember a conversation I had with Gary P. about the GT350 the agreement with Ford was that SAI would not do anything for the GT350, meaning nothing. I am not holding him to the exact comment but I understood that SAI won't touch the GT350 as long as Ford is building them.

How can it be a KR if there is no GT500? Somehow I can't see SAI unveiling a new GT500KR before Ford unveils a new GT500

Article states Legendary Shelby Mustang name so that is very limited to what it can be if not a GT350 or GT500?? The Super Snake is already being done so I have 2 idea's, either an R version of the Shelby GT meaning a track ready car or a King Cobra Mustang but that name was on the Mustang II so who knows its alphabet soup right now

I thought there was already a GT-R.............

I would love a new KR but they have to wait until 2018.

Well on Shelby American's facebook page they also used the hashtag #50years. So that would lead me to believe it is the new GT500. But I do find it weird that it would be at Barrett-Jackson and with SA and not at a major auto show being unveiled from Ford. So I guess all we can do is wait and see.

The '15 GT350 was unveiled in Gardena. Not a major auto show.

My assumption is that this will be made on 2018, which 50yrs would equate to 1968. What was introduced in '68 other than the KR? '68 is when Shelby entered Trans Am with the coupes, right? That lead to the TRT?

Edited by EL SHELBY