TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is anyone interested in upgrading to Shelby Super Snake hood and trunk struts?

****THESE STRUTS HAVE BEEN SOLD****

I found a new set of Shelby/Redline Elite Super Snake hood struts and matching trunk struts when I was going through some of my parts today. I forgot I had them. All four struts are Shelby logo'ed and are still in their original shipping tubes with hardware and instructions.

The hood struts are Super Snake specific. The trunk struts are not shown currently on the Shelby Perf. Parts website, so they may be discontinued/obsolete?

These are the upgrade Billet Aluminum colored Elites, not the standard Black Redlines.

SPP shows $119.95 for the Elite hood struts and Redline shows $79.95 for the generic (not Shelby logo'ed) trunk Elites plus shipping on the four struts.

If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.

Thanks, Robert

Edited by Robert M

When I picked up my '13 they told me that hood struts were a bad idea for the fiberglass molded hood, said it would warp over time. Heard anything similar?

There are quite a few 2007-2012 Super Snake owners over on the other side, including the 2007 owner who first installed the Redlines when they were first offered back in 2009 or so, his car was the test car for Redline, no mention of this from him or others. I have had struts on my 2008 Super Snake hood for about 6 years, no issues so far.

I would trust/hope that if these Redline Super Snake specific struts cause damage over time to a Shelby Super Snake fiberglass hood that Shelby would not sell them through Shelby Performance Parts for install on the Shelby Super Snake hood? There have been plenty of Super Snakes built since 2007 and many have added these Super Snake specific struts since the time they were first offered for a documented record of warp issues/damage if there are issues.

There are also quite a few non-Super Snake owners with Super Snake hoods and struts, I haven't read about warp complaints on the forums I frequent.

The only reason why I first offered these struts on the 2013/14 forum is because it seems like the traffic has slowed on the other side.

R

Edited by Robert M

It was expressed by the Shelby folks when I picked up my last car that there had been issues. I installed them on my wide body and there were no issues(other than getting the correct cup connector). I did have to talk with the owner of Red line as the kit for the struts did not come with a connector that allowed enough relief when closing. Maybe some people put them on with the part that would not work, and that could cause a bow. I have not installed them on my sig edition, but I do have them.

I wish SAI had a better hood option for the 13-14 SS. Mine doesn't match the color of my car and wobbles like its about to fly off at speed. I am looking at some other brands of the same style hood, just so I can get the paint matched, get hood struts, some hood pins, and maybe a nice radiator cover for a little more swag. I can say that the prop rod is incredibly annoying, especially at car shows and at the track when you have the hood open for long periods of time.

I wish SAI had a better hood option for the 13-14 SS. Mine doesn't match the color of my car and wobbles like its about to fly off at speed. I am looking at some other brands of the same style hood, just so I can get the paint matched, get hood struts, some hood pins, and maybe a nice radiator cover for a little more swag. I can say that the prop rod is incredibly annoying, especially at car shows and at the track when you have the hood open for long periods of time.

My car was sent new directly from its original dealership (1000 miles from me) to Las Vegas so I had never seen my car except in pictures before I got it back from Shelby. Once I received my car and when I first started taking it to car shows, it quickly became apparent to me that a "Mustang II (Pinto)" prop rod was not going to "get it" when I opened the hood of my Super Snake at a car show, it was somewhat of an embarrassment to have to put a prop rod up on a $100K (or so) Mustang!! <<Especially as people would gather around the car.

Even when the car was new and original for $50K or so, a prop rod????? Come on bean counters!!!......................and on a Mustang at the Super Snake level.................it had to go...........

I have never looked back and would never go back to a prop rod for any reason.

Now, if I had a V6 Mustang? the prop rod would not even be an issue, but I am wayyyyy beyond V6.

R

Edited by Robert M

How much do you want for both Robert?

$180 plus shipping.and I will absorb the PayPal fee.

004_zpsfpv5cswo.jpg

Like I mentioned above, I don't see the Shelby trunk Elites on the SPP site, so they may be discontinued.

R

Edited by Robert M

Disregard my question I looked it up, they are specific.

It's my understanding that they are only specific in that they have specific valving/pressure for the weight of a specific hood. The SS hood is heavy compared to the OEM hood. So, these should work on any S197. Just expect them to be very stiff compared to what you can get elsewhere.

I felt the same Robert. The prop looked cheap and in the way. The struts really cleaned up the appearance factor.

Plus it is nice to pull the hood release inside the car, walk out and put the hood up, instead of opening the hood with one hand and then unclipping the prop rod with the other hand and putting it in place. I had a 2009 Challenger SRT-8 Track Pack, it did not have a prop rod, I don't think the 2010-up Camaro's do either?

Like I said, it is pretty cheesy having a top of the line Mustang (production GT500) with a prop rod.................not to mention a $100K Mustang........

R

Like I said, it is pretty cheesy having a top of the line Mustang (production GT500) with a prop rod.................not to mention a $100K Mustang........

R

Completely agree. Just another one of those details that Ford/SAI leave to us to help polish up the quality of their brand.

Completely agree. Just another one of those details that Ford/SAI leave to us to help polish up the quality of their brand.

Even Black struts would have been nice from Ford..........................and then the "Polished upgrade" from Shelby of course.

R

Hey Robert!
Been away from the forums for awhile enjoying my widened 50th anniversary wheels, and taking care of two quickly growing little girls. These struts caught my eye and I'm interested. However I just have the stock '11 GT500 hood. It looks like the supersnake hood struts won't work for that purpose. Would you be willing to see the trunk struts separately, if so how much?

Thanks,
Jason

Hey Robert!

Been away from the forums for awhile enjoying my widened 50th anniversary wheels, and taking care of two quickly growing little girls. These struts caught my eye and I'm interested. However I just have the stock '11 GT500 hood. It looks like the supersnake hood struts won't work for that purpose. Would you be willing to see the trunk struts separately, if so how much?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason - I replied down in the For Sale section.

R