TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What's a 1968 Worth?

I found a 1968 Shelby GT 500 # 517 all in pieces and the guy wants to sell it because of his divorce. How much would this be worth if it was missing the engine, hood and grille. All other parts are accounted for. Does anyone have an idea what this would be worth?

1) People get the big money with original parts

2) Engine, hood and grille (if you are going to rebuild with original parts and not aftermarket parts or "restomod" it) are going to be very pricey!

3) You may think you have "All other parts are accounted for", but you'll find many small ones that will be missing. Again, these small parts are what get old Shelby's the big money. If you need to find them, see #2.

If you're just buying to have an original Shelby, and don't care about originality, then go for it. Just pointing out some key things to think about.

Plus, you may just be buying someone else's problems... there are tons of stories!

He said he doesn't want his wife to get the car in their divorce. I have called a local guy that's an expert on Shelby's and he said he would check it out for me to make sure it has everything.

Cool. Let us know how it goes.

Post some pics if you can before you buy it.

He said he doesn't want his wife to get the car in their divorce. I have called a local guy that's an expert on Shelby's and he said he would check it out for me to make sure it has everything.

I saw one go just last year for 40k in the condition you describe. Your expert may try to deal out from underneath you. If you are not interested, PM me

The only difference in the K.R was the heads & cam I don`t think it willbe any cheaper finding original parts for either engine. Make sure you look the car over good checking for any tags (engine, steering, trans, rear-end) Here i s the registery info on #517 shipped toDub Richardson Ford(OklahomaCity,OK)

1/13/68 .Previously owned by James F Bjote(CA). Ben Williams .Present owner Daniel Gregoire (Ste Anne Manitoba, Canada. Hope this helps Good Luck

Well, WAY more differences between the two than just heads and cam. But anyway, my point is CJ parts are expensive and more so for 68' stuff. Try buying a part for a 681/2 Cobra Jet and you will see what I mean.

Big block 4-speed parts also very expensive. Since this car is a 500 it is much less expensive to restore but also ultimately worth less than a KR.

The only difference in the K.R was the heads & cam I don`t think it willbe any cheaper finding original parts for either engine. Make sure you look the car over good checking for any tags (engine, steering, trans, rear-end) Here i s the registery info on #517 shipped toDub Richardson Ford(OklahomaCity,OK)

1/13/68 .Previously owned by James F Bjote(CA). Ben Williams .Present owner Daniel Gregoire (Ste Anne Manitoba, Canada. Hope this helps Good Luck

Thanks for the information Shelby001! I told the guy that I want to check out the car along with a friend. Your information has really helped and once I get more information this week I will post it.

Thank you!

I agree with one of the prior posts....There are many differences between a KR and a 500. Many little things that you wouldn't normally look for. One big thing is that KR's have staggered rear shocks and the 500 doesnt.

In any event, check the Shelby serial number with SAAC. There are many imposters out there and you can buy repro Shelby VIN tags also. The last thing you want to do is drop significant bucks on a fake - without an engine, hood or grill. Verify that the car is real with Rick Kopec or Vin Liska of SAAC. They;ll be able to help you.

Good luck

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

I am glad that there are so many people that care on this site. The car was a fake! When I told the guy about the what I found out regarding #517 he got quiet and stopped calling me. Just in case anyone runs across this guy he lives in Hutchinson, Kansas. I would like to say thanks to everyone for all your help!

post-8450-1184992927_thumb.jpg

post-8450-1184992973_thumb.jpg

post-8450-1184992990_thumb.jpg

post-8450-1184992927_thumb.jpg

post-8450-1184992973_thumb.jpg

post-8450-1184992990_thumb.jpg

I am glad that there are so many people that care on this site. The car was a fake! When I told the guy about the what I found out regarding #517 he got quiet and stopped calling me. Just in case anyone runs across this guy he lives in Hutchinson, Kansas. I would like to say thanks to everyone for all your help!

Glad to hear you found out it was a fake & didn`t purchase it. Keep looking i`am sure you will find one.

If you do fihd one cotact SAAC & they will verify for you. GOOD LUCk.

• 3 months later...

Archived