TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So this happened at the dealership during servicing...

Dropped my car off at 9:00 am Friday for airbag recall replacement, took my wife to breakfast, then early matinee of Hacksaw Ridge (damn good movie!).

Go to pick the car up at 4:00 pm, everything complete, service rep remarks about my '07 having only 32K miles, likes the red color and silver stripes.

"Thanks", I take the keys and walk out to my car to find.... my front splitter cracked. Where the car is parked it's clearly evident the curb is a couple inches higher than the splitter. Immediately call the service rep out, he looks it over, takes photos, and asks if I know the Ford Part #. I say "No, it is not a Ford part. You'll have to contact Shelby at SAI in Las Vegas. This is part their 40th Anniversary serialized package. You'll have to get a replacement from them". He notes my CSM # and say he'll inform the Service Director and call me on Monday. I asked for the Director's name and number, and told the rep I'd be calling him as well.

So, I guess my question to SAI is... if the dealer contacts you with my CSM data to buy a replacement splitter, will you authorize it?

20161104.jpg

Edited by stpracer43

That sucks! Sorry to read about the dealership failing. Your dealer should not need anything special to order the splitter as SPP has them on their website and ebay store. Just make sure your dealership doesn't order one of the scratch and dent splitters listed on eBay. The new splitters do not have all of the holes drilled in them. I've read it requires a step drill bit to drill CF.

Once you get the splitter replaced, take the original one to a local body shop and have them work on it. It may not be perfect, but would be a good back up.

Keep us posted

A step drill shouldn't be necessary. But you will want to use progressive larger bits. You will want them sharp and always keep the drill on it highest speed. CF will splinter and crack with dull bit and at low speeds. I used to work with the stuff for a living.

Edited by EL SHELBY

When I take my Shelby to the dealership for annual servicing they know me well enough to allow me to stay with the car if I want and they always let me drive it out of the garage so that one of their knuckleheads don't have a chance to drive it or do something stupid like smash it into a parking curb.

Dropped my car off at 9:00 am Friday for airbag recall replacement, took my wife to breakfast, then early matinee of Hacksaw Ridge (damn good movie!).

Go to pick the car up at 4:00 pm, everything complete, service rep remarks about my '07 having only 32K miles, likes the red color and silver stripes.

"Thanks", I take the keys and walk out to my car to find.... my front splitter cracked. Where the car is parked it's clearly evident the curb is a couple inches higher than the splitter. Immediately call the service rep out, he looks it over, takes photos, and asks if I know the Ford Part #. I say "No, it is not a Ford part. You'll have to contact Shelby at SAI in Las Vegas. This is part their 40th Anniversary serialized package. You'll have to get a replacement from them". He notes my CSM # and say he'll inform the Service Director and call me on Monday. I asked for the Director's name and number, and told the rep I'd be calling him as well.

So, I guess my question to SAI is... if the dealer contacts you with my CSM data to buy a replacement splitter, will you authorize it?

Suggestion: Call Shelby, don't use the forum. Nothing bad but they may or may not see your question here. So many folks get frustrated if they don't get a response here on the forum when a simple phone call would have got them results. Good luck.

Good news.... spoke to the Service Director on the same afternoon and he also stated they'd get back to me. Sure enough, by mid-morning Monday (yesterday) the service manager called me and said the part was on order. He asked if I'd like the dealership to install, I declined and said I'd take care of it.

Waiting for delivery, so I can pick it up.

Good news.... spoke to the Service Director on the same afternoon and he also stated they'd get back to me. Sure enough, by mid-morning Monday (yesterday) the service manager called me and said the part was on order. He asked if I'd like the dealership to install, I declined and said I'd take care of it.

Waiting for delivery, so I can pick it up.

Great news! Glad it worked out for you

• 3 months later...

Dealer finally called me to pick up my new CF splitter... wished it hadn't happened, took too long to get replacement, but when there aren't any around, you wait until they get manufactured.

Time now to be very deliberate in prep and planning the reinstall effort.

20170219_181648.jpg

Edited by stpracer43

• 7 months later...

So, I finally decide to unwrap my replacement CF splitter and install it... Goods news: all the holes are pre-drilled. No worries there.

I did note the slight difference in design of the 2017 version of the CF splitter vs the design of 40th pkg splitter in 2011/2012.

New design resembles the original shape of OEM plastic splitter vs the contoured style of the 40th.

Anyone else have to change their splitter and get something similar?

keith

20171005_222548.jpg

20171005_222553.jpg

• 3 weeks later...