TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 350 bad engine

Lenart17

Hi this is my first time on this forum. I recently bought a 2016 GT 350 and after 4500 miles there was a major problem with the engine. Now Ford wants to replace the engine with a new engine. This might be great for a normal car but for a Shelby there goes my car with matching numbers. I never spent so much money a car before but I did so with the idea of giving it to my 3 year old son when he grows up. I expected the car to be a collectible for my son. So disappointed. I wish I never bought it. Ford told me that there is no difference in valuation between a numbers matching car and a non-numbers matching car. Has anyone ever experienced this situation before? How did you resolve it? What would be the difference in value between the 2?

Thanks,
One unhappy Shelby owner

Yes all over the internet recall coming out in December. Fix not till after first of year. Some not driving theirs. Mine is a daily driver and my dealership checked service center and they said it wont just blow off but if bad will start leaking. And to be aware and watch for puddles of oil. Of course not track it (mine doesn't have track pkg. any way) My dealership said to just bring by every week or so and they will check it till can be fixed. I did and mines still dry. And if leaks to park it and they will give me a car to drive till fixed. I'm not to concerned. Not that it isn't serious but of all the people that track these one car it happened and burned up car. But am glad Ford is stepping up to plate even though so far only one car has had a problem.

It might matter in 50 years with restored cars but with all the electronic do dad's that you won't be able to get (just think transistors are just a little over 50 and you can't buy them! Noone will be making the custom SOCs needed to restore of each then.) I seriously doubt the real collectability of any vehicle built today except for the Laura Palmer cars. You know dead wrapped in plastic

Edited by twobjshelbys

Let me do you a favor and put your concerns to rest; once you have the engine replaced I'll buy that turd of car off of you. It's worth about $15k now that the original engine is gone. Because I'm such a genuinely giving kind of guy I'll pay you double it's value, a cool $30k.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't worry about the engine or the value. It's seriously a lousy deal to put up with but you have one of Ford's Halo cars, they will make it right. The GT350's future value, as with all the modern Shelby's is debatable, and likely a long shot. Get the engine replaced, drive it, and share the experience with your son.

Good luck, and welcome to TS.

Edited by EL SHELBY

It might matter in 50 years with restored cars but with all the electronic do dad's that you won't be able to get (just think transistors are just a little over 50 and you can't buy them! Noone will be making the custom SOCs needed to restore of each then.) I seriously doubt the real collectability of any vehicle built today except for the Laura Palmer cars. You know dead wrapped in plastic

Nice Twin Peaks reference.

Take the new engine while you still can. The mustang has been through a lot of engine configurations in it's day. There are a lot of first generation Shelby's out there with non-matching engines that had been replaced under warranty and still selling for six figures. I would be proud to get a Shelby from my dad. - Kevin

That really sucks to have to deal with....

That said I agree with everyone else, get a new engine and move on, it is not an investment and won't be worth a lot regardless, it's not rare by any means. Enjoy it, this is a minute problem compared to what many have to deal with.

Edited by carnut12

The 5.2 voodoo seems to be having some issues with vibration that the FPC produces. Remember most FPC engines have been under 4.5 . The new 5.2 which will be the next GT4 racing mustang does not use the FPC. Stay tuned.

The 5.2 voodoo seems to be having some issues with vibration that the FPC produces. Remember most FPC engines have been under 4.5 . The new 5.2 which will be the next GT4 racing mustang does not use the FPC. Stay tuned.

Where did you read that it wouldn't be an FPC? Most of the articles online are saying it is using the 5.2 FPC that is in the GT-350 but it will be mated to a 6 speed paddle shift tansmission.

Regarding the engine: From the wording, being "GT350 based", one would conclude that it is a Voodoo. But Ford Performance offers a 5.2L Coyote-based crate engine so displacement alone won't tell you which engine it is. No article actually says which engine is being used and I haven't seen detailed enough engine pics to be able to tell. But some of the specs might be able to sort out which it is.

Link to Ford Performance:

http://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/media-room/2016/09/first-look-at-the-5-2l-aluminator-xs-crate-engine.html

I've got to run now so don't have time to do a comparison til later. If someone wants to beat me to it go for it!

Edited by twobjshelbys

Regarding the engine: From the wording, being "GT350 based", one would conclude that it is a Voodoo. But Ford Performance offers a 5.2L Coyote-based crate engine so displacement alone won't tell you which engine it is. No article actually says which engine is being used and I haven't seen detailed enough engine pics to be able to tell. But some of the specs might be able to sort out which it is.

Link to Ford Performance:

http://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/media-room/2016/09/first-look-at-the-5-2l-aluminator-xs-crate-engine.html

I've got to run now so don't have time to do a comparison til later. If someone wants to beat me to it go for it!

Not sure why you said there are no articles mentioning flat plane crank. Many of us are also aware of Ford's other 5.2 that you mentioned but that doesnt mean they will yank out the FPC and use the engine you mention. I can’t see Ford going backwards and dropping a V-8 with a slow winding heavy crankshaft in to a car they spent years developing, engineering and marketing around an FPC. It would be like saying, oh we spent all this money on the lighter and quick winding FPC but to win GT4 we are going to use a regular crankshaft V-8. The FPC has been too successful already.

Road and track says its based off the Gt350R-C used in IMSA and mentions flat plane crank

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/sema-show/news/a31385/ford-mustang-gt4/

Top Speed also mentions that it is based off the Gt350R-C and mentions FPC

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ford/2017-ford-mustang-gt4-ar175076.html

American Muscle has an article that mentions it will have 5.2 FPC and tuned for GT4 specs

https://blog.americanmuscle.com/2016/11/03/order-a-shelby-gt350-powered-mustang-gt4-race-car-from-a-dealership/

While there is no Ford articles (yet) I could find with a quick search, all of the above saw this vehicle at SEMA and I am sure they asked questions. There are also a several more sites but I don’t have time to run them down. Also the American Muscle site mentions that the estimated ordering price is approximately $90,000.

As I said, I only saw the one article immediately after the announcement and it was pretty void of facts as first articles often are (they want to beat everyone else.) It makes no sense for it not to be the Voodoo, yet they don't brag about it which is not like Ford or those writers. Saying it is based on the R-C car would be a pretty good indicator though.

Hi this is my first time on this forum. I recently bought a 2016 GT 350 and after 4500 miles there was a major problem with the engine. Now Ford wants to replace the engine with a new engine. This might be great for a normal car but for a Shelby there goes my car with matching numbers. I never spent so much money a car before but I did so with the idea of giving it to my 3 year old son when he grows up. I expected the car to be a collectible for my son. So disappointed. I wish I never bought it. Ford told me that there is no difference in valuation between a numbers matching car and a non-numbers matching car. Has anyone ever experienced this situation before? How did you resolve it? What would be the difference in value between the 2?

Thanks,

One unhappy Shelby owner

Its my understanding that engines these days don't even have matching numbers. So....no problem if that's true!

Where did you read that it wouldn't be an FPC? Most of the articles online are saying it is using the 5.2 FPC that is in the GT-350 but it will be mated to a 6 speed paddle shift tansmission.

I got a text from Multimatic that the engine in the GT4 mustang will not have a FPC. Some of the articles got it wrong. The release from ford was vague so they just though it would be the voodoo. It's not. I can't believe it but that's the way they are going. The next GT 500 will probably use the next gen 5.2 TT. Port/ direct injection. That should kick ass. The ZL 1 was just released for orders. The base comes in @ $62K. Ford needs to keep up with the general.

The mustang G6 forum also has the correct information on the mustang GT4 engine. CPC. 5.2. Look I didn't believe it either that's why I contacted Multimatic.

Ford Mustang GT4, the GT350R-C Based Global Race Car Revealed at SEMA 2016 ...search this topic @ mustang G6 forum

Edited by mach 1 1970

I got a text from Multimatic that the engine in the GT4 mustang will not have a FPC. Some of the articles got it wrong. The release from ford was vague so they just though it would be the voodoo. It's not. I can't believe it but that's the way they are going. The next GT 500 will probably use the next gen 5.2 TT. Port/ direct injection. That should kick ass. The ZL 1 was just released for orders. The base comes in @ $62K. Ford needs to keep up with the general.

The mustang G6 forum also has the correct information on the mustang GT4 engine. CPC. 5.2. Look I didn't believe it either that's why I contacted Multimatic.

Ford Mustang GT4, the GT350R-C Based Global Race Car Revealed at SEMA 2016 ...search this topic @ mustang G6 forum

Interesting.thanks for clarifying your source. I did some more on line searching and found this article which supports that it will be a 5.2 cpc which is different from quite few articles and some car mags were saying would be an FPC.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/2016/11/01/mustang-gt4-debuts-with-5-2l-v8-flat-plane-crank-missing/

Yes I was totally shocked that they were not using the FPC. You know there are three areas of concern now that I'm aware of .( 1 )the snap ring on the oil cooler ,( 2 )the oil filter not properly installed. 18 lb torque. (3 ) The oil cooler hoses have to be replaced from a recall. The engine @ high speed will have 150 oil pressure which can blow out connections. Ford seems to be going with the 5.2 CPC for varies reasons that they are not talking about. Stay tuned .

Edited by mach 1 1970

I had to re-read the thread several time to figure out why and how the GT4 made it into the discussion. While not knowing the OP cause for the lost engine, I would assume it has more to do with oil loss and the oil line with the faulty crimp, not vibration. While FP does vibrate more than a CP, I've heard nothing of the engine having issues due to vibration. If I recall correctly Ford changed the firing order on the VooDoo from a traditional FP to help combat the vibrations.

Speaking of the OP, is this a legitimate issue? One post, joined the day of the post, and hasn't been back since to comment? Apologies if I'm too skeptical.

Edited by EL SHELBY

Have you ever heard of 18 lb torque for installing Your oil filter ? It used to be hand tight only. Vibration will spin it loose over time if not installed properly. In the GT 350 manual it states it you must torque it to specs. When I took it to the dealer they had no idea about this. This engine @ 8000 rpm really produces a certain vibration feel I've never experienced before. One mag said it sounds like a thousand chainsaws @ wot.

Take the new engine and don't look back. Make sure they use the new oil hoses.

Edited by mach 1 1970

Drive and enjoy that car with your son - replace the engine under warranty. Don't look back. There are far too many "future collectibles" stuffed away in garages. 99.9% of them will never materialize into some sort of gold mine at the cost of not getting to enjoy it while you had it.

Have you ever heard of 18 lb torque for installing Your oil filter ? It used to be hand tight only. Vibration will spin it loose over time if not installed properly. In the GT 350 manual it states it you must torque it to specs. When I took it to the dealer they had no idea about this. This engine @ 8000 rpm really produces a certain vibration feel I've never experienced before. One mag said it sounds like a thousand chainsaws @ wot.

Take the new engine and don't look back. Make sure they use the new oil hoses.

Actually, yes I have heard of 18lbs of torque on an oil filter. Torque specs from the OEM for the oil filter are usually provided in Nm. I've seen specs from 8-18lbs, even from Ford, and not just on a FP.