TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Shelby letters- 35Min job. PICS

BillyRay

Actually I do. :hysterical: Call me a nerd, :drop: but I have a spreadsheet with every mod I've purchased with the info on each mod, as well as a wish list for things I'm looking into. Especially things members here have or have recommended. That way it's not so hard to have to go back and find a thread or a post again.

the ebayer I got mine from is - bullitt03722 .

A lot of us have changed the letters because we think it looks better. I'm not convinced that Ford put the lettering to the left because the 67 Shelby was that way. I still believe it was due to the strip source or outsource. Either way it is a mod that can be returned to stock if desired. The letters are available and the biggest risk is damage to the small section of deck lid stripe vinyl.

You think you're dense :finger: ... :banghead:

The key word for me was patience.

A good blow dryer, a plastic putty knife, some strong fishinig line and a little Goo-Gone will take them off.

Very slowly heat up one letter at a time, I put the edge of a microfiber cloth on the paint and tried prying very slowly with the putty knife, not wanting to mar the paint. Didn't work too well, at first, buy after you get an edge up it does.

So I would heat and slide the fishing line with a little Goo-Gone and work it back and forth, then get the putty knife underneath.

That was the easy part for mine, they had been on a while.

The hard part for me was getting all the adhesive off the paint....that took about 30 minutes.

Then I washed down the entire area with a sponge, RO water and dawn. Then clay barred it. After installed the new letters I went back with a few coats of wax/ICE.

What fine scratches I had from removing the letters went away during the clay bar and ICE applications.

And speaking of ICE. When I brought my Shelby home, I immediately put about 6 coats of Meguiar's Gold paste on her. It is a great wax, BUT, with only hand washing with filtered water and very mild soap, the wax wasn't holding up as good as I thought it should. I switched to Turtle ICE paste and liquid and the spray detailer. Wow...what a difference. The car doesn't even look the same. It's like you put another coat of clear on it. Plus the bugs just fall off. I use it on all the black plastic and under the hood as well....no haze or dust. When I take the bugs off, Then I go back with a quick coat of the liquid on the leading edges.

I've always done the towel test on the hood of my cars when it's waxed. I'm telling you...you can't put anything on the hood now, it's that slick and that smooth.

Hope this helps.

Hey thanks, I too used the Ice and did not get the same results. Not very impressed. I did not use the paste though just the liquid polish/wax.

Did you use the MM measurements from the KR concept that someone else posted? They showed 30mm wide for the key hole in the center and I am not getting that same measurement.

Why do you need to heat them up slowly?

I remember reading that the reason they didn't space out the lettering on the rear deck was because they felt that the lettering might not hold well on the vinyl striping. Might look a bit funny going around with ELBY or SH LB, etc., etc., :hysterical:

I remember reading that the reason they didn't space out the lettering on the rear deck was because they felt that the lettering might not hold well on the vinyl striping. Might look a bit funny going around with ELBY or SH LB, etc., etc., :hysterical:

That was before they came out with the new "Super Sticky" (SS) flat black stripe. It has to do with some kind of new manufacturing and marketing scheme they came up with at SAI. They are convinced it will work for everybody.

Hey thanks, I too used the Ice and did not get the same results. Not very impressed. I did not use the paste though just the liquid polish/wax.

Did you use the MM measurements from the KR concept that someone else posted? They showed 30mm wide for the key hole in the center and I am not getting that same measurement.

Why do you need to heat them up slowly?

I put down about 4 coats of paste and off with a good buffer then a couple of the liquid. And like I said....very picky about the washing. I use the Mr. Clean car wash stuff. Our water is so incredible terrible here, it would probably strip the wax off itself.

I started to use the measurements from the stripes, but discovered my painted on stripes were a couple millimeters wider, so it through the whole thing off. And two of the letters are different widths than the rest. So I pretty much eyeballed it and measures to center of each and allowed for the different widths of the two letters.

If you have vinyl stripes, you shouldn't have any problem finding someone with the right set of numbers for you.

Let me know if you need any help finding them. I think I have a pic of Grabber's measurements still around.

cobrafan, is the vinyl striping made by 3M? You're saying they've changed the coating to the striping in so that now the lettering will now adhere better?

cobrafan, is the vinyl striping made by 3M? You're saying they've changed the coating to the striping in so that now the lettering will now adhere better?

Mark,

Just taking a cheap shot at the "Flat Black" stripe issue, again. I got caught up in the Silver stripe (Surprise!) for the 40th Annivesary. Sent my deposit anyway, but I'm still not happy about changing out my stiripes.

I think I read somewhere that Amy said that the stripes were being made for Shelby but I don't think she mentioned who the manufacturere was. If you post the question on her thread she is diligent about answereing questions. It would be a guess for me to say that one would provide a better surface for the letters to adhere to.

Sweet...

Mine are about the same spacing...but look different for some reason.

Shelby-Read-Letters.jpg

All joking aside, I do like mine centered much better.

that made me laugh ... good one !

Archived