TEAM SHELBY FORUM

40th or '08 GT/SC Vert - Anyone driven both?

I'm getting close to picking up my first Shelby and I really like the 07-09 bodies. That said, I have found caretakers for each who are ready to sell.

Keep in mind that even though this is a cruiser convertible, I prefer to push the cars into corners a bit on the occasional weekend. GT/SC (550 car) has better balance, but the 40th has the brake ducts and the 5.4L with the 6 speed.

Both cars are rare, the GT/SC a bit more so. Both cars are also pretty obscure. Most "Ford" guys don't even really know what they are. That said, I'm buying it to enjoy, not show.

Here is where my questions start. I have driven a GT/SC vert...without Razors. I have never driven a 40th. How does it compare? I know most GT/SC say that they are some of the best drivers they have owned.

I'm leaningvtoward the 40th, but figured there is a wealth of knowledge here to tap into. I like the idea of the 40th and what I believe it is - which is CS team's view of what the 07 GT500.

If you like to drag race buy the 40th and mod it, if you like handing buy the GT/SC. Both great cars, a few on here have owned both, try to do a search. I recall 2-3 folks that owned both at the same time (not 40th, just modded GT500) that gave really good honest feedback on the differences.

If I recall they said if you want a Highway Cruiser get the GT500, if you want a car that handles get the GT/SC, similar to what I stated above.

Really can't lose, they are both great cars!!!

For a driver the GT/SC will be the better option because its much lighter but you will get different opinions from GT or GT/SC owners depending on wheel size. Car's with 20's handle a bit different from those with 18's. You also didn't say if the GT/SC was automatic or manual and for relaxing driving the automatic is the way to go

I'm getting close to picking up my first Shelby and I really like the 07-09 bodies. That said, I have found caretakers for each who are ready to sell.

Keep in mind that even though this is a cruiser convertible, I prefer to push the cars into corners a bit on the occasional weekend. GT/SC (550 car) has better balance, but the 40th has the brake ducts and the 5.4L with the 6 speed.

Both cars are rare, the GT/SC a bit more so. Both cars are also pretty obscure. Most "Ford" guys don't even really know what they are. That said, I'm buying it to enjoy, not show.

Here is where my questions start. I have driven a GT/SC vert...without Razors. I have never driven a 40th. How does it compare? I know most GT/SC say that they are some of the best drivers they have owned.

I'm leaningvtoward the 40th, but figured there is a wealth of knowledge here to tap into. I like the idea of the 40th and what I believe it is - which is CS team's view of what the 07 GT500.

Most of your thoughts were equal until the comment of pushing the car into corners, that comment heavily tilts the scales towards the GT/SC.

Is the GT/SC a factory install? Huge collectibility difference between owner installed and factory installed SC's.

Most of your thoughts were equal until the comment of pushing the car into corners, that comment heavily tilts the scales towards the GT/SC.

Is the GT/SC a factory install? Huge collectibility difference between owner installed and factory installed SC's.

good points... I have not driven a 40th.... but I have driven an '07 GT500 and of course my GT/SC, mine handled better than the 500, however the 500 was not lowered and had no suspension mods done to it, definately nose heavy and plowed in the corners. Maybe if Anton chimes in he can answer all the questions because he has both the vert GT/SC and the 40th.

good points... I have not driven a 40th.... but I have driven an '07 GT500 and of course my GT/SC, mine handled better than the 500, however the 500 was not lowered and had no suspension mods done to it, definately nose heavy and plowed in the corners. Maybe if Anton chimes in he can answer all the questions because he has both the vert GT/SC and the 40th.

Every time I see your car I wish I would've bought the PIAA lights when they were available. Painted stripes and Gary Disney interior are next for me. Sorry back to the subject......

Is the 40th a 725 horse car? I assume that like the Super Snakes of this era there were the entry level hp models with the 40th package and then the optional 700+ hp? You mentioned Convert. if the 40th is a Convert. it could be a 605 horse option since 700+ was not available in the Convert. at that time.

I did some additional research and it appears that the 40ths came in stock 500 hp,, 605 and 725. <<That will matter for value and performance.

Weren't the original Shelby GT/SC's Paxton cars? and later Whipple?

R

Edited by Robert M

I've driven a 40th convertible and it was heavenly. Well balanced and comfortable. I have not driven an SGT convertible, but my 06 GTH is VERY HARSH in comparison. Yes, it handles better on the twisties, but with handling comes a cost in comfort. I felt the 40th had the perfect balance in between stock GT500 and SGT road manners.

I am actually fortunate enough to own both and would be happy to go over the differences with you. I'll PM you my mobile number...

Anton

Thanks far all the feedback. Anton, many thanks. I'm looking forward to talking with you.

The GT/SC is a registered conversion and has the 550hp wipple, the 40th is not a 605 HP Super Snake conversion.

Thanks far all the feedback. Anton, many thanks. I'm looking forward to talking with you.

The GT/SC is a registered conversion and has the 550hp wipple, the 40th is not a 605 HP Super Snake conversion.

I may have mis-spoke by mentioning Super Snake.

I was asking what the car is as a 40th? The link below has the 40th production numbers and HP options, 500, 605, 725........

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/70464-40th-production/

R

I may have mis-spoke by mentioning Super Snake.

I was asking what the car is as a 40th? The link below has the 40th production numbers and HP options, 500, 605, 725........

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/70464-40th-production/

R

Robert, you were good, I did understand what you were asking. To answer more clearly, the car is stock HP.

Which brings up another interesting question. If a base 40th was sent to SAI tomorrow and a whipple was put on it (I still think you can get that done) would SAI update the car in their registry?

Sherri, I tend to agree that long term the 40th has better odds of being a collector.

Good discussions BTW.

Edited by mfield2a

I have to assume there are less GT/SC's then 40ths and the fact it was a Pre Title build should make it as or more collectible IMO.

If I recall someone said there was less then 100 GT/SC's built at authorized Mod Shops, I would bet there are only 5 or so Convertible ones.

Tough decision, being a Vert I would probably lean towards the 40th.

Edited by carnut12

I have to assume there are less GT/SC's then 40ths and the fact it was a Pre Title build should make it as or more collectible IMO.

If I recall someone said there was less then 100 GT/SC's built at authorized Mod Shops, I would bet there are only 5 or so Convertible ones.

Tough decision, being a Vert I would probably lean towards the 40th.

good points all the way around.... although we will never know how many GT/SC's were built. Vert vs Coupe.... :shrug: that's a personal preference, I can see both ways.... there ya go... why not buy both! :victory:

good points all the way around.... although we will never know how many GT/SC's were built. Vert vs Coupe.... :shrug: that's a personal preference, I can see both ways.... there ya go... why not buy both! :victory:

Curious on why you would make a statement like that? Yes SAI has not released any GT/SC build numbers yet but that is only because the GT/SC is still an open program. Once the program closes and after a build audit is performed, official build numbers will be released just like SAI has already done for over a dozen other closed build programs.

Now while we wont know exactly how many GT/SC builds there are until that program closes we can say currently there are less, perhaps even sustainability less, GT/SC builds compared to the 312 closed program 40th Anniversary builds.

Steven

Curious on why you would make a statement like that? Yes SAI has not released any GT/SC build numbers yet but that is only because the GT/SC is still an open program. Once the program closes and after a build audit is performed, official build numbers will be released just like SAI has already done for over a dozen other closed build programs.

Now while we wont know exactly how many GT/SC builds there are until that program closes we can say currently there are less, perhaps even sustainability less, GT/SC builds compared to the 312 closed program 40th Anniversary builds.

Steven

I apologize for letting my negativity get the best of me. Maybe a better statement would have been "we may never know"... because

a) as long as the program is open and making money for SAI there is no reason to close it.

b) because we don't know what lies for us tomorrow. At 61 years of age I may not make it home tonight. :shrug:

Steven

Steve - If a car originally rolled through the SA shop as a non-S/C Shelby GT and then comes back at a later time for a GT/S/C upgrade, is that "after the fact" S/C upgrade noted? or is the car changed to a GT/SC like it was that way from the time the car first left Shelby?

^^^and on that question, was the S/C option available as a new dealership Shelby GT/SC or did it require the car, originally a Shelby GT to go back to Shelby for the GT/SC upgrade?

R

Edited by Robert M

Steve - If a car originally rolled through the SA shop as a non-S/C Shelby GT and then comes back at a later time for a GT/S/C upgrade, is that "after the fact" S/C upgrade noted? or is the car changed to a GT/SC like it was that way from the time the car first left Shelby?

^^^and on that question, was the S/C option available as a new dealership Shelby GT/SC or did it require the car, originally a Shelby GT to go back to Shelby for the GT/SC upgrade?

R

I have never heard of a dealer ordering one, that is an interesting question. Everyone that I am aware of was owned and sent to get the mods after the fact.

I am curious as well....

I apologize for letting my negativity get the best of me. Maybe a better statement would have been "we may never know"... because

a) as long as the program is open and making money for SAI there is no reason to close it.

b) because we don't know what lies for us tomorrow. At 61 years of age I may not make it home tonight. :shrug:

Well I certainly hope you not only make it home tonight but for many more nights to come. We all need to just look at Carroll Shelby and realize that what can be overcome.

Although we don't hear much about the GT/SC program its one of the programs that has expanded in recent years. For example folks in Southern California are able to have the GT/SC package installed by Galpin Ford. I hope I have the terminology correct where shops like Galpin are referred to as tier two mod shops where they can install packages like the GT/SC but not CSM numbered packages like the Super Snake.

Realistically even though the GT/SC program is still open, the official build numbers are and most likely will remain low when compared to the number of Shelby GT's built. We'll just have to wait until the program closes and a build audit is performed to know the actual numbers and how they are broken down by supercharger make and car model.

Steve

R

At this point in time the SAI Registry doesn't differentiate between the two scenarios but by looking at each GT/SC upgrade individually we could certainly see which was an early install and which was a later install. There is a reason I'm not using the words "pre-delivery" when describing the early install cars. I'll explain more further down in this post..

I have never heard of a dealer ordering one, that is an interesting question. Everyone that I am aware of was owned and sent to get the mods after the fact.

I am curious as well....

Officially there was never a checkbox on the Shelby GT dealership order form for a supercharger option but that doesn't mean that a few SGT's didn't arrive at the dealership with a supercharger already installed on the car.

Back when the 2007-08 Shelby GT's were being built at Shelby American some dealerships along with some Shelby GT buyers knew that Shelby American was opening up a post-title mod-shop where a car like the Shelby GT could have a post title GT/SC package installed so these dealerships and owners, along with SAI, came up with a way to have a GT/SC upgrade installed without having to ship their car back to Shelby American.

The way the scenario worked was once the dealership and/or owner got word that their Shelby GT was being built they would then call up the Shelby sales department and place an order/deposit for a mod shop installed post title GT/SC package. Their car was then flagged internally in the SAI system so that once it came off the Shelby GT assembly line it would go into a holding area and not onto the transportation truck with all the other completed SGT's.

The dealership and/or owner would then be contacted by someone like Bud M, Adrienne W, Donnie B, from SAI and receive permission for SAI to take delivery of their car in the SAI parking lot. Once that permission was received SAI could then mark the car as delivered and according to the Federal government their car was now a used car and could be driven over to the mod-shop for a post-title GT/SC install.

So even though the car only had a couple of test miles on it, was still covered in plastic from Ford and had not been seen or touched by the buyer it was now technically a used car and could have a supercharger installed without government regulations getting in the way.

By Government regulations I'm referring to that if SAI installed a supercharger pre-title we would have to adhere to all kinds of government required testing including the possibility of having the crash tested.

Once the GT/SC package was installed the car would then be held for museum delivery or shipped to the selling dealership.

Please understand that I've condensed this reply and am also typing it on a Monday morning so I may have left a detail or two out so please take this reply as a quick broad overview and not an in depth look at how some early cars had a S/C install before arriving at the dealership.

Hope this helps.

Steve

At this point in time the SAI Registry doesn't differentiate between the two scenarios but by looking at each GT/SC upgrade individually we could certainly see which was an early install and which was a later install. There is a reason I'm not using the words "pre-delivery" when describing the early install cars. I'll explain more further down in this post..

Officially there was never a checkbox on the Shelby GT dealership order form for a supercharger option but that doesn't mean that a few SGT's didn't arrive at the dealership with a supercharger already installed on the car.

Back when the 2007-08 Shelby GT's were being built at Shelby American some dealerships along with some Shelby GT buyers knew that Shelby American was opening up a post-title mod-shop where a car like the Shelby GT could have a post title GT/SC package installed so these dealerships and owners, along with SAI, came up with a way to have a GT/SC upgrade installed without having to ship their car back to Shelby American.

The way the scenario worked was once the dealership and/or owner got word that their Shelby GT was being built they would then call up the Shelby sales department and place an order/deposit for a mod shop installed post title GT/SC package. Their car was then flagged internally in the SAI system so that once it came off the Shelby GT assembly line it would go into a holding area and not onto the transportation truck with all the other completed SGT's.

The dealership and/or owner would then be contacted by someone like Bud M, Adrienne W, Donnie B, from SAI and receive permission for SAI to take delivery of their car in the SAI parking lot. Once that permission was received SAI could then mark the car as delivered and according to the Federal government their car was now a used car and could be driven over to the mod-shop for a post-title GT/SC install.

So even though the car only had a couple of test miles on it, was still covered in plastic from Ford and had not been seen or touched by the buyer it was now technically a used car and could have a supercharger installed without government regulations getting in the way.

By Government regulations I'm referring to that if SAI installed a supercharger pre-title we would have to adhere to all kinds of government required testing including the possibility of having the crash tested.

Once the GT/SC package was installed the car would then be held for museum delivery or shipped to the selling dealership.

Please understand that I've condensed this reply and am also typing it on a Monday morning so I may have left a detail or two out so please take this reply as a quick broad overview and not an in depth look at how some early cars had a S/C install before arriving at the dealership.

Hope this helps.

Steve

I think that was an awesome reply!!! Kudos to Steve! I know the "Offical" announcement of the model was June 25, 2009, and I know there were other cars that were sporting the GT/SC nameplate before that time . Your reply is great part of the history of it all. Thanks again!

Here's a link to the introduction of the model. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/44815-introducing-the-shelby-gtsc/

I think that was an awesome reply!!! Kudos to Steve! I know the "Offical" announcement of the model was June 25, 2009, and I know there were other cars that were sporting the GT/SC nameplate before that time . Your reply is great part of the history of it all. Thanks again!

Here's a link to the introduction of the model. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/44815-introducing-the-shelby-gtsc/

Agreed!!!

Mine was done before they were a full package, in the beginning you did not have to buy the whole upgrade package, you could get the Supercharger and add other stuff as you wanted.

I am glad I waited a little time because the Whipple 550 came out (At least based on what I was told) the same time I got the upgrade so I was one of the first to get the 550. Like 6-7 of us all got ours done at the same time at Tasca in early 2009. At the time they did all of the conversions, I do not think they do any now???