TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Hood Vents

Just wondering, can someone measure the size of their hood vents on their KR hood. Shelby has leftover KR hoods on eBay, but unfortunately there isn't any hood vents available with them. If someone can measure the factory KR vents, so I can look for aftermarket options roughly around the same size, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for the help

No after market vents will fit. You would have to take the hood to a fabrication shop and have custom vents made. Also there is no access to the vents from the underside of the hood. The real KR vents snap in and once they are in good luck getting them out without breaking them.

I can take pics later.

Edited by sheppd01

In my opinion those KR hoods are NOT worth the cost of getting them shipped to your house. Unless you are restoring a KR 30 years from now those hoods are not going to be worth the aggravation of having custom vents made.

Just buy a Supersnake hood.

Edited by sheppd01

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hoods seem to be easy to get.  Shelby keeps putting them on ebay :)

That said, I am interested in a set of vents, but realize they are unobtainium these days.  

If someone has a spare pair, please PM me as I have some ideas on how to get some knockoffs in the works.  

I doubt Shelby will read this conversation.  Shelby has KR hoods to sell.  They sold all the vents.  Shelby did not put any thought into reserving the same amount of vents, to put with the same amount of hoods, they have available to sell.  In the end I don't think it is wise to buy specialty cars from them.  Since Shelby does have the spare parts, restoring the car, say after hitting a deer will be near impossible.  Why would anyone want this trouble? 

It would be nice if Shelby would let someone know who has the molds or tooling for the vents so someone like myself could make them again at a reasonable price without gouging people.

Do I need the vents now? NO, but I would like to have a few pair incase I damage one due to hitting a deer here in Wisconsin or as I have read of others breaking them while washing their car.  I see how that could easily happen , they seem very fragile.

Edited by Jody

Ya jody we are in southeast minnesota so deer are a big issue here too. I checked the vents on dads the other day and they are a tad loose in there. With the speeds these cars are capable of you would think they should be solidly mounted.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
28 minutes ago, atlanticbluestang said:

I have made the GT500KR hood vents on a 3D printer. I am wondering if anyone is interested in a set. I have attached a picture of one from the 3D printer before it is sanded and primed for painting.IMG_1049.thumb.jpg.590e84870f1148bf0835ba2111d67efb.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

I'm certainly interested as I was looking to do the same.  Please PM. 

They look great BTW...