TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2016 GT350 Audio System Upgrade

I thought I would start this discussion in the hopes that others out there have ideas or additional information...

My one complaint with my car is the audio system... I know that those of you who are "purists" appreciate the bare bones systems because the exhaust is really all one needs to hear... However, there are times when I enjoy great music and sound along with my cruise down the highway....

1. I am still unable to find info from Ford regarding the carplay upgrade. I have called and texted them. It is my understanding that the carplay upgrade is a hardware upgrade that connects to the back of the head unit... Anyone have more info?

2. Clearly the car needs a speaker upgrade and subwoofer... I will live the added weight for those of you who poo poo this... I am unable to even find the darn specs on my factory head unit to see if it has a sub pre-out. I assume not. Any advice?

3. I really don't want to put in a new head unit ...However, if I do would anyone know if the factory head unit from the 2017 mustang GT with Shaker would work?

4. I don't want an aftermarket head unit....However, if that becomes necessary does anyone have any insight on what aftermarket units would fit without a dash modification. I don't see any options for Mustangs with the 8 inch display.

Here is my goal... Keep the factory head unit, add Carplay to simplify my addiction to the apple interface, add a sub and replace the speakers... If anyone has taken the leap to do any of this I would appreciate hearing about your experience. I am doing more research on the option of swapping out the head unit with a new one from a 2017 mustang with a shaker system...(I know, not the greatest but way better than what is in the car now)

Last but not least....If there is a top end car audio place that wants to use my car as a test mule let me know. (I am willing to take one for the team!!! LOL) I am in Denver but if we can work something out I would bring the car to you...

Edited by dhattendorf

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm dying to upgrade but am totally confused as to how to go about it. I've purchased subs and speakers, box, etc, but can't determine if it's even worth it to install until the head unit can be replaced with parts from a Shaker system, or wait until the aftermarket comes through. I don't really want to bother with a signal processor as I doubt that's going to help much. As far as I know, there is no sub pre-out.

When I ordered my 2007 GT500, I asked for a stereo "delete". Robert Parker (the sales Mgr at FOMOCO at the time) said it wasn't available because there were no parts to block off what would be the open area in the dash. :(

When I bought my new 350 from Dave here on TS, the stereo never occurred to me. I have four, fun, weekend hot rods and rarely ever turn on the radios. :shrug:

Edit- It won't be long...SAI will have something for it. They eventually came out with something for the 500's.

Patience Grasshopper! :salute:

Edited by BIKEBOY

• 1 year later...

As much as I love the sound of exhaust (have modified all my car exhausts in the past) I am also an audio file. Might not make sense, but I have always upgraded my car's  audio as well.  And we all know the sport mode automatically switches over to normal mode in 6th gear =(

I was trying to hold back on upgrading my audio on my GT350 because I wasn't sure about having someone pull apart the intererior, but I just couldn't live with the stock audio system.

My original intention was to first only add subwoofers, but when I was there I just decided to replace all but the head unit. Since I didn't get the head unit replaced I had to do a hi-low device, went with model Lc6i audio control. This device allows one to add aftermarket amps, & speakers to stock radio without losing any factory features.

Up-front (3 way component): JL Audio C5-653 powered by a JL Audio HD 600/4 amplifier.

Rear (2 way coaxiale): Focal PC-165. For subwoofers went with 2 x 10" JL Audio W3 in enclosed box, powered by JL Audio RD1000/1 amp with bass volume knob up front. 

All speakers were the size so didn't have to do any drilling or cutting. At one point all the panels, door covers, etc were all stripped...I definitely regretted doing it seeing my Shelby like that!! But when it was all done, all put back together again it was the most beautiful sound ever!!! More than what I had expected!!! And everything was put back into place just perfectly, no rattles, nothing loose, just as if nothing ever came off!!  And still enough space in the trunk as well!!

Total price including installation: close to $4k, but oh so worth it!!!  Keep in mind that I went pretty much all JL Audio which is pricey, can go with more economical brands if necessary.

I don't have any pics of the installation process since seeing my car stripped was something I saw and just immediately turned away, was too painful. Here are some pics of the completed job that I just recently took due to requests. Keep in mind that the door speakers were direct bolt-ons so it looks exactly the same, the only pics that can be appreciated are the pics of the sub box and amps. (it just rained in Los Angeles so the car is filthy, sorry!!)

GT350 Audio Pic.pdf

Edited by Jezreel74
Added more detail and pics

Yes, it may seem like a lot, but I not only like to hear my music, I like to feel it.  I could have gone with other more economical brands, but then again I could have also just bought GT mustang for significantly less (no disrespect to GT's). I've had many other audio brands in other cars and for the most part JL Audio has been my favorite, audio quality with durability.

I attached some pics in a pdf format (on original post) since I was limited to the size of pictures I could upload.

• 1 month later...

More than happy with the Shelby 1000 option in my '11 624.  If you eventually get tired of the exhaust drone (it is rare, but does happen) on a long highway run, the Shelby 1000 is great for cranking out your favorite tunes.

• 4 months later...

I just had very similar setup installed.  Did they tap in to digital processor?  I had mine completed sounded great but about an hour later I had wrench light come on. Ford is blaming audio place saying it’s becasue of where they tapped in but audio guy came over to ford with me and stated his work had nothing do with their problem.

Negative, don't see why they would have considering I only did speakers and amps. Since I left the head unit the same, all they did was mess with the factory speaker wires.

In your case, did they mess with the head unit other than the wire that triggers the amps?  And I'm assuming the main power to the amps is coming directly from the battery?

My installer didn’t mess with factory head unit either.  I left it factory and just did amps and speakers.  

And correct power is coming from battery. I have had an awe full time with this dealership.  Just ironic that same day I pick my car up from getting new speakers that I get wrench light.  I turned off in parking lot and turned my car off.  It wouldnt start back up.  After about 45 minutes for what ever reason it did start back up.  I then got it to the dealership where at first they said was clutch pin (I think) they tried blame that on audio also.  My gut feeling is that I have had many issues and with this dealership that They are trying to not fix it under warranty.

this stuff is all new to me.  So thank you for responding.

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2016 at 8:43 AM, dhattendorf said:

I thought I would start this discussion in the hopes that others out there have ideas or additional information...

My one complaint with my car is the audio system... I know that those of you who are "purists" appreciate the bare bones systems because the exhaust is really all one needs to hear... However, there are times when I enjoy great music and sound along with my cruise down the highway....

1. I am still unable to find info from Ford regarding the carplay upgrade. I have called and texted them. It is my understanding that the carplay upgrade is a hardware upgrade that connects to the back of the head unit... Anyone have more info?

2. Clearly the car needs a speaker upgrade and subwoofer... I will live the added weight for those of you who poo poo this... I am unable to even find the darn specs on my factory head unit to see if it has a sub pre-out. I assume not. Any advice?

3. I really don't want to put in a new head unit ...However, if I do would anyone know if the factory head unit from the 2017 mustang GT with Shaker would work?

4. I don't want an aftermarket head unit....However, if that becomes necessary does anyone have any insight on what aftermarket units would fit without a dash modification. I don't see any options for Mustangs with the 8 inch display.

Here is my goal... Keep the factory head unit, add Carplay to simplify my addiction to the apple interface, add a sub and replace the speakers... If anyone has taken the leap to do any of this I would appreciate hearing about your experience. I am doing more research on the option of swapping out the head unit with a new one from a 2017 mustang with a shaker system...(I know, not the greatest but way better than what is in the car now)

Last but not least....If there is a top end car audio place that wants to use my car as a test mule let me know. (I am willing to take one for the team!!! LOL) I am in Denver but if we can work something out I would bring the car to you...

Car play is a mod inside armrest

they installed it in my 2016 it the USB port 

If you have a 2015 or 2016 and want to enable Apple Car Play with the existing entertainment system, the USB port inside the console needs to be changed to the 17 and up part.  The part number is HU5Z-19A387-A.  It is not needed for Android, only Apple.  

• 11 months later...