TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American Special Vehicle Unveil on Friday 09/02/2016

SAI-Steven

I agree this is just like the original Shelby GT, they should've kept that name and offered the GT/SC package again. I also think they should have produced them and sent to dealers like the first time around. The one big difference between this and the 2007/2008 is this package is twice as much money, I can't comprehend that, but that has been the direction for years so I don't see it changing anytime soon. For this kind of money I'm buying a GT-350 or even a New Vette, maybe even an M3. There are so many options in this price range, that is the problem I see.

The big difference is that you are comparing a car that was built 10 years ago with Ford as the retailer and who negotiated a huge volume discount on parts from their vendors. Today is 10 years later, SAI is now the retailer who is building less cars and no longer has access to Ford's buying power along with this newer car having additional & more expensive parts that the 2007 SGT didn't have.

You also mention that you don't see SAI changing direction anytime soon, you did see that the GTE price starts at $17,999 correct? Before last Friday the lowest entry price for a CSM numbered car was around $43,999. I would call that change and change that came from listening to enthusiasts like yourself who let SAI know that the current price point was too high.

If the new Shelby GTE is not for you thats ok as no manufacturer builds a car that works for everyone but I do hope that you don't expect to pay 2007 prices for a 2017 M3 or a 2017 Corvette.

Steve

The Title of the Article says:

"The 2017 Shelby GTE Is a Striped Mustang With Not Much More Power"

I remember Ford doing this back in 1995-1996 with a Mustang GT-S. A Striped down Mustang GT. Also, didn't the Shelby GT 350 only have 306 HP and the Mustang GT K-Code had 275 HP?

You have your spelling mixed up on this one, which has a huge impact on the meaning of the article.

Striped is for the two blue stripes running over the top of the car.

Stripped is what the 1995-1996 Mustang GT-S was with the roll up windows, sans spoiler, etc.

I like the car and think the price isn't to bad, however I am waiting to see what happens with the Focus RS. All my vehicles except the KR have over 120,000 miles on them. I am in need of a new car soon and I am tempted by the eco-boost Shelby.

My only gripe is I wish they would be more consistent with the naming of the Shelby mustangs and what level in the Shelby hierarchy they fall into.

Edit.

I have already picked my color and options just in case I can't wait for the Focus. ?

Edited by sheppd01

The big difference is that you are comparing a car that was built 10 years ago with Ford as the retailer and who negotiated a huge volume discount on parts from their vendors. Today is 10 years later, SAI is now the retailer who is building less cars and no longer has access to Ford's buying power along with this newer car having additional & more expensive parts that the 2007 SGT didn't have.

You also mention that you don't see SAI changing direction anytime soon, you did see that the GTE price starts at $17,999 correct? Before last Friday the lowest entry price for a CSM numbered car was around $43,999. I would call that change and change that came from listening to enthusiasts like yourself who let SAI know that the current price point was too high.

If the new Shelby GTE is not for you thats ok as no manufacturer builds a car that works for everyone but I do hope that you don't expect to pay 2007 prices for a 2017 M3 or a 2017 Corvette.

Steve

So the GTE seems to be aimed at the same market segment as the GTS. Has any analysis been done to see why the GTS never took off? Was the name changed to avoid any stigma associated with the GTS? Many of the comments and questions are about confusing and ever changing naming convention being used lately. It's hard to build a following for a brand when the market can't tell what it is.

My only gripe is I wish they would be more consistent with the naming of the Shelby mustangs and what level in the Shelby hierarchy they fall into.

So the GTE seems to be aimed at the same market segment as the GTS. Has any analysis been done to see why the GTS never took off? Was the name changed to avoid any stigma associated with the GTS? Many of the comments and questions are about confusing and ever changing naming convention being used lately. It's hard to build a following for a brand when the market can't tell what it is.

Valid points and trust me when I say the Registry suffers the most when there are too many nameplates in use especially when answering inquiries from potential buyers.

Keep in mind that SAI has a partnership with Ford that sometimes limits what we can or can't do so although one may think SAI has a blank sheet of paper in front of them, it doesn't necessarily mean we do.

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

:whistling: here we go again. Wonder if any market research was done with forum members and past owners. gg

Actually it was Team Shelby members who drove this change along with internal personnel.

None of us would argue that SAI went a little sideways with the current Shelby GT. The original car was a small bump in horsepower with emphasis on handling. It was a great looking car and it was affordable. But for those of you with short memories it was not a lot less then the GT500. Whats the difference in the GTS and the GT, simply, marketing.

The recent SGT was not like the original. That causes problems with the name. At that time, there were forces in SAI that thought all of their cars should be in the stratosphere for pricing. No entry level Shelby's. Now people are confused between the Shelby GT the Supersnake and the Terlingua. Customers have voiced their opinion and hey, SAI listened. Of course, those of you with unlimited budgets want to complain?

I understand the angst with the naming of the cars. SAI has to stick with a model to give it a chance. Will the GTE survive? I certainly hope so. I hope it is marketed and is extremely successful. If we cant bring younger people in, the name is history.

I for one applaud SAI for listening to its customers. I don't agree with everything that is done but, hey, like you, I don't work there and I don't manage the place. None of us are held accountable.