TEAM SHELBY FORUM

$40,000 to $60,000 GLHS Auction Estimate, Record Setting Price?

SAI-Steven

For those of you that don't know already the Carroll Shelby Trust is auctioning off a few of Carroll's cars this week at the RM Sotheby's auction in Monterey with a 1986 Shelby GLHS being one of the cars to be auctioned off. See link at the bottom of this post.

It's interesting to see the auction house place an estimated hammer price of $40,000 to $60,000 as that would be a world record price for any 1980's Shelby Dodge vehicle but hey one can dream right?

A little background on the car. It's car #86 out of 500 built for the 1986 model year and has under 8k miles on it. As some may know Carroll loved his GLHS cars and one day back in 2009 Carroll and I were discussing his #001 GLHS when Carroll decided he wanted another one and assigned me the task of getting him the best one I could find.

Well as luck would have it GLHS #86 had been put up for sale earlier that year and I remembered the seller couldn't find the right buyer for the car so I thought why not reach out to the seller to see if I could make a deal. Shortly thereafter a deal was struck and GLHS #86 was on its way to Gardena California.

Carroll was very pleased with the car and even started to think about adding the DOHC 16v Hans Hermann cylinder head to the engine but other projects took priority and the 16v conversion never took place. During these discussions, Carroll and I had discussed how we could modernize this conversion with a SBEC computer set-up instead of the antiquated logic module system. I'm probably losing the Ford enthusiasts right now so I'll stop with the 2.2 Mopar jargon. Just wanted the Dodge enthusiasts to know that Carroll was always interested in improving what had already been done.

So although the upgraded engine project never took off I started to think what could we do with this pristine condition GLHS which lead to striking a deal with Microsoft to have a Shelby GLHS in their next X-box video game software. Somewhere on Team Shelby I posted photo's of the Microsoft folks scanning all the cars dimensions along with them taking photographs of GLHS #86. That was a fun day especially when I brought Carroll down to the warehouse so that he could meet the Microsoft folks who were hard at work digitizing the car, the look on their faces was priceless.

Sadly after Carroll's passing in 2012 GLHS #86 has mostly just sat in storage but the good news is that #86 will hopefully find a new home this week but the big question is who's home and what are they willing to bid to take #86 home. These questions will be answered this Friday, August 19th.

And here's the promised auction link:

https://www.rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO16/Monterey/lots/r161-1986-dodge-shelby-omni-glhs/373563

Steve

Thanks for posting this up, Steve. I've had some questions about the history of this car and you have answered most of them. Can't wait for Friday to see just what it will bring.

Barry,

While I was writing that post I was trying to think of the highest price paid for a Shelby Dodge vehicle and I came up with that 1989 CSX at Barrett-Jackson a few years back with a ridiculous hammer price that was never confirmed as sold.

Taking that 1989 CSX out of the discussion, we then have that 1988 CSX-T which sold for $21k at B-J Palm Beach and that mid-west collector who was advertising a 1987 S/Lancer, 1989 Shelby CSX and a 1989 S/Dakota for around $22k each.

So I guess my question is what high selling price Shelby Dodge's do you recall? Didn't one or two CanAm cars sell for over $30k ?

Although I don't believe we should include the 1999 Shelby Durango or the Fitzgerald Dodge built Shelby Viper but if we did I guess the Viper might be the top dollar vehicle.

And of course we are not talking new in the dealership prices as if we did I suspect the above Viper would be at the top.

Am I overlooking another Shelby Dodge?

Steve

I love it!

I remember driving a brand new blue Shelby Charger at Bell Dodge in Phx. Az I remember also thinking (at the time) that the fit and finish was horrid on those cars. But nonetheless they had a mystique about them, because of Carroll.

I think I ended up buying a Mitsubishi Turbo Mirage. :hysterical:

Good story and info, Steve. Before the SA-LV days, I remember the car in the Gardena warehouse with all CS' other personal vehicles. He said that he sometimes, but not often, rotated the cars to drive back and forth home in West L.A. I am not sure if that was really true, though.

Yes, there have been a few sales of the Shelby Can-Am cars in the 30's. I've been kind of looking for one just for fun. I was an SCCA tech inspector when those cars came out. That was so cool then. There were a few of them in the Colorado Region here. I guess should have bought one back then!!!! But I was a poor, debt ridden, college student then and had trouble affording my $50 a year SCCA Membership. Of course, these are race cars, not the street Shelby Dodges.

Edited by JeffJ

Good story and info, Steve. Before the SA-LV days, I remember the car in the Gardena warehouse with all CS' other personal vehicles. He said that he sometimes, but not often, rotated the cars to drive back and forth home in West L.A. I am not sure if that was really true, though.

Yes there is truth there but the longer the cars sat the less they were driven. Carroll drove the Dakota and 16v GLHS the most but after California started to add ethanol to its gasoline the fuel systems really deteriorated in the Dodge cars, especially after sitting for months at a time.

Carroll also had quite a collection of Jeeps but the majority of them ending up being sent to his ranch in Texas where they could be put to better use.

Since we are on the subject of Dodge cars the one car that Carroll never had in his collection was the Viper. Not sure why and never got around to asking Carroll why but if I had to take a guess it was because Carroll kind of got pushed out of the Viper program when it was moved back to Detroit and also because Carroll was not happy with what Chrysler finally released. I do recall Carroll mentioning that the final weight of the Viper got out of hand and was way more than he envisioned. Hmmm kind of sounds like the Series One ;)

Anyway back to the topic of GLHS #86. I just can't guess what it will sell for. If it was being sold at B-J I would have no problem saying that $40-60K is impossible but this auction is different. Who would have ever thought of a 1980's FWD Chrysler car going across the block at Monterey? What will these deep pocket bidders think of the car? We'll all know the answer in just a few days.

Steve

Steve, CS used to talk about his specially prepared Durango with a Viper V10 that he used on occasional commutes from LA to LV when he didn't fly. Is that still around?

It was in 2009, I have photographic evidence, but can't upload attachments and I'm doing something else so will maybe upload to photobucket later.

Steve, CS used to talk about his specially prepared Durango with a Viper V10 that he used on occasional commutes from LA to LV when he didn't fly. Is that still around?

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the "Viper truck" and yes its still around. This was a test mule for the Dodge SRT 10 Ram truck that Chrysler built for a couple of years. The best thing about this truck was it looked like your everyday 1/2 ton truck that a gardener would use to mow lawns so know one would think it could pull away from them like it could.

If I recall correctly the CHP was familiar with this truck from its many LA to Vegas runs :)

Steve

Steve,

I know about the Dodge SRT10, but was not aware if CS had one. He said that he and Cleo had a one off modified Durango was a similar Viper-10 powered set up that he on occasion would use to run up and back from LA to the Vegas shop (former location). She did all the driving. I wondered if you knew if it still existed.

Don

Steve,

I know about the Dodge SRT10, but was not aware if CS had one. He said that he and Cleo had a one off modified Durango was a similar Viper-10 powered set up that he on occasion would use to run up and back from LA to the Vegas shop (former location). She did all the driving. I wondered if you knew if it still existed.

Don

Yes Cleo does have one of those 1999 Shelby SP360 Durango SUV's which was a licensee product. It was stock whenever I saw it. Who would have done this V10 install and when? Heck the 360 was a tight fit in the Durango how would a V10 fit without major reconstruction?

Steve

• 1 month later...

Steve,

Don

Attached are engine pics from the Shelby Durango, you can't see much of the 360 V8 with the supercharger in the way so I took a pic of the headers so you can see there are only four exhaust tubes and not five tubes that a V10 would have. You can also see that the engine is much shorter than a V10 engine.

Steve

IMG_2081a.jpg

IMG_2082a.jpg

• 6 months later...