TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Day At The Valley, drag racing the GT

Secondo

Hello fellow Mustang Enthusiasts!!

Anyone going to Ford Day At The Valley this Saturday (June 30, 2007)? It's in West Lebanon, New York, near the Mass. border. Myself being from CT it's the closest drag racing track around. Should be a good day and so far so good- the weather is cooperating. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you there and oh yeah, a great day of racing the Mustang!!

Here is the address to the flyer:

http://www.dragway.com/Drags/home_038.htm

It'll be my first time dragracing a 5 speed, I've always run automatics. I have a 2005 GT (see signature) with stock tires. Anybody have suggestions on launching?

fordday.pdf

fordday.pdf

Well we both went yesterday lots of fun at Lebanon Valley Raceway in New York. :shift: :burnout:

Soon we will be posting a story about this event and some more pics. :camera:

Pics? How did it go, Secondo?

Pics!!

It went awesome!! First let me say that the Mustang is a fast car out of the box. The Dragway was great and so was the company (SS) :drop::wub: !! Ok back to subject, I'll post a complete report of the dragracing and more pics as soon as I can. Here's a preview:

DSC02697a.JPG

DSC02697a.JPG

In bluejeans? We have to talk.

That's just not going to work, girl. :redcard:

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME RIGHT??? :nonono: Those jeans are the most up to date and 'fashionable' that you can get now a days. :yup:

Boy are you 'Old School' or what?? :ohsnap: You even mentioned Pumps before those are soooo outdated and out of style it's not even funny. Oh you know what don't get me going. :finger::stirpot:

:extinguish::extinguish::extinguish:

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME RIGHT??? :nonono: Those jeans are the most up to date and 'fashionable' that you can get now a days. :yup:

Boy are you 'Old School' or what?? :ohsnap: You even mentioned Pumps before those are soooo outdated and out of style it's not even funny. Oh you know what don't get me going. :finger::stirpot:

:extinguish::extinguish::extinguish:

Who you kidding, Plaid has been dead for years :hysterical2:

Although I must say it look good on that there

post-7176-1183425269_thumb.jpg

post-7176-1183425269_thumb.jpg

Who you kidding, Plaid has been dead for years :hysterical2:

Although I must say it look good on that there

:stop: Stop photochopping me boy or I'm coming after your @ss!!!! :devil2::hysterical2:

Drag Racing on Ford Day at the Valley, Lebanon Valley Dragway, West Lebanon, New York.

The weather was beautiful- a clear day with some puffy (cumulus?) clouds, felt like about 72 degrees. Also a beautiful drive from the state of CT through Mass route 8 then the Mass Pike to New York, a 2 hour drive. A pleasure to drive the new Mustang GT. Quite the change from what I am used to- My old 1972 Mustang ‘Sportsroof’ that you may have seen pictures of (see my avatar and picture Gallery) that I have sold recently had a built 351C-4V with 3500rpm stall converter and 4.56 gears that I used to drive there to race every year since 1992.

Once arriving I decided to ‘Run what I brung’ and not make any changes to the car. I used to change the rear wheels, unbolt the exhaust, loosen the belts, add race fuel, change tire pressure and check and adjust timing and jetting on the ’72. The 351C was very sensitive to any changes in weather, temperature and track conditions so it kept me busy. It would reward me with 12 second runs. With the new computer controlled cars, most of those tasks are done automatically. So, this trip I would enjoy driving and racing.

The car- 2005 Mustang GT, 5 speed, bone stock with the exception of Western Motorsports (WMS) cold air intake and ram air box, see picture. 5/8 tank of 87 octane fuel. Pirelli PZero Nero P235-55ZR17’s tires set at 50psi. Stuff still in the trunk including the Shaker 1000 bass speakers.

The track- about 74 degrees there and 603 foot elevation. With a head wind of 10-15 mph, it was windy there in the wrong direction. Lots of rubber on the track, see picture.

This would be my first time racing a manual transmission. I avoided the water box and warmed up the tires quickly. The track was very sticky! The car bogged off the line. I launched at 3000rpm, dumped the clutch and slowly put the accelerator to the floor. My first run netted a 2.30 60’ and 14.28@100.75. Not bad I thought for a first try but still a little disappointing to me since the magazines were reporting 13’s with the GT. I then thought that I need to practice launching the car to get better E/T’s. ‘SS’ gave me some encouragement.

The next run I kept the same rpm but put the accelerator to the floor much faster this time since the track was so sticky. 2.11 60’ and 13.89@101.56. Getting better.

I tried after each run to bring up the launch rpm’s to see what would work best. 4000 seemed best at the time and on the first 5000rpm launch served me with tires spinning all the way through 1st gear and some of 2nd.

On that 5000rpm launch spinning tires run, looking back seems to be a blessing because the 1964 (my best guess) Falcon (see ‘CarShow’ picture) I was next to that was ahead of me lost control, fishtailed a few times and went sideways, then smashed into his wall right in front of me. I slammed on my brakes to avoid a collision, thankful that I hadn’t reached a full potential of a launch would have put me in a closer position to come into contact. I stopped next to him to check since I would be the first one to the scene. I was thankful that the other driver was Ok and that I and my car remained undamaged.

Lunchtime break provided me with a cooler engine and renewed determination to reach lower E/T’s. My pit crew (see ‘BusyPitCrew’ picture) made sure the hood was raised after every run to let the heat out. The competition was surely distracted ;)

10-15mph headwind. Sunny about 75. Racing a 12 second dragcar next to me in the other lane. Burnout. Stage. Wait for other driver to stage. Keep eyes on tree. RPM’s to 3000. Yellow light, rpms to 4000, yellow, 4200, yellow, clutch slowly out and pedal to the floor, GREEN!! Reaction time- .0083. The car felt strong. Good grip, no wheelspin. 60 foot time – 2.04. Quick shift into second rewarded me with a nice long ‘chirp’ that would help propel the car faster forward. I could feel the g-force pulling my cheeks a little harder this time. Think. Don’t miss 3rd, keep strong grip on stock shifter. Smiled as a short ‘chirp’ was heard due to shifting into 3rd. Keep gas pedal down like there’s no tomorrow. I could see the finish line coming quickly as I pass 100MPH to a 13.77@102.17!! I was satisfied with that. Especially since all that was done was keeping the hood opened between runs. That would be my best run however I ran various 13.80’s, 90’s and 14’s but did run another 13.77 this time at a lower 100.81 mph probably because the engine was hotter than before.

Not bad for a stock GT with a cold air intake and inexperienced manual transmission driver. I’m guessing that without the headwind, lower temperatures, less weight (I still had tools and stuff in the trunk and over a half tank of gas) and with some more runs I could get the E/T’s lower. The only negative thing worth mentioning is that the GT’s brakes moaned and groaned when slowing down from the 100+mph runs. I started going down the extended shutdown road to give me more time to brake. Future drag racing days for me include an extra set of wheels with slicks and a tuner that I could change programs to run 93 octane fuel while racing for more ignition advance then back to 87 for my commutes to work. This is my driver car and I get 20MPG on average which I think is a great thing considering that I used to get the same with my ‘04 Mustang V6 and ’93-V6 TBird. The GT has so much more horsepower!

I would also like to mention for all you S197 Mustang fans out there that there were a couple Mustang GT California Specials and a ’07 Saleen Mustang Parnelli Jones (see pictures) special edition racing there. The PJ Mustang has a 400HP modular 302 that was running low 13’s (13.2- best I saw). One CS (the white one) was also running low 13’s due to a CAI, with tune, automatic tranny with tune, aftermarket exhaust and throttle body, drag radials and I’m sure some other goodies. The other CS (the black one) had a Saleen supercharger with a WMS intake like your author’s. He was running low 12’s with ‘big-n-littles’ (tires) with slicks. See the pictures.

Hope you enjoyed my story and thanks for reading!!

PS. There is a (new?) limit to the amount that can be uploaded to a post. I'll post more in this topic to add the rest of the pictures.

Edit: I forgot to mention that all runs were done with the traction control OFF.

WMSintake.JPG

WMSintake.JPG

Secondo - very vicarious write-up! Good form.

Sounds like you had a blast. Must have been scary seeing that guy lose it.

Congrats on the improved times!

Tires & a Tune! Mid-13's.

...who's the chick? :hysterical2:

:) I got a good grade from the 'teach!'

Yeah it was a young kid driving but he did a good job at limiting the damage. I hope his dad took it okay- it looked like it was his dad's car.

The "chick" was my pit crew and competition distraction!! :dreamy::hysterical:

Drag Racing on Ford Day at the Valley, Lebanon Valley Dragway, West Lebanon, New York.

The weather was beautiful- a clear day with some puffy (cumulus?) clouds, felt like about 72 degrees. Also a beautiful drive from the state of CT through Mass route 8 then the Mass Pike to New York, a 2 hour drive. A pleasure to drive the new Mustang GT. Quite the change from what I am used to- My old 1972 Mustang ‘Sportsroof’ that you may have seen pictures of (see my avatar and picture Gallery) that I have sold recently had a built 351C-4V with 3500rpm stall converter and 4.56 gears that I used to drive there to race every year since 1992.

Once arriving I decided to ‘Run what I brung’ and not make any changes to the car. I used to change the rear wheels, unbolt the exhaust, loosen the belts, add race fuel, change tire pressure and check and adjust timing and jetting on the ’72. The 351C was very sensitive to any changes in weather, temperature and track conditions so it kept me busy. It would reward me with 12 second runs. With the new computer controlled cars, most of those tasks are done automatically. So, this trip I would enjoy driving and racing.

The car- 2005 Mustang GT, 5 speed, bone stock with the exception of Western Motorsports (WMS) cold air intake and ram air box, see picture. 5/8 tank of 87 octane fuel. Pirelli PZero Nero P235-55ZR17’s tires set at 50psi. Stuff still in the trunk including the Shaker 1000 bass speakers.

The track- about 74 degrees there and 603 foot elevation. With a head wind of 10-15 mph, it was windy there in the wrong direction. Lots of rubber on the track, see picture.

This would be my first time racing a manual transmission. I avoided the water box and warmed up the tires quickly. The track was very sticky! The car bogged off the line. I launched at 3000rpm, dumped the clutch and slowly put the accelerator to the floor. My first run netted a 2.30 60’ and 14.28@100.75. Not bad I thought for a first try but still a little disappointing to me since the magazines were reporting 13’s with the GT. I then thought that I need to practice launching the car to get better E/T’s. ‘SS’ gave me some encouragement.

The next run I kept the same rpm but put the accelerator to the floor much faster this time since the track was so sticky. 2.11 60’ and 13.89@101.56. Getting better.

I tried after each run to bring up the launch rpm’s to see what would work best. 4000 seemed best at the time and on the first 5000rpm launch served me with tires spinning all the way through 1st gear and some of 2nd.

On that 5000rpm launch spinning tires run, looking back seems to be a blessing because the 1964 (my best guess) Falcon (see ‘CarShow’ picture) I was next to that was ahead of me lost control, fishtailed a few times and went sideways, then smashed into his wall right in front of me. I slammed on my brakes to avoid a collision, thankful that I hadn’t reached a full potential of a launch would have put me in a closer position to come into contact. I stopped next to him to check since I would be the first one to the scene. I was thankful that the other driver was Ok and that I and my car remained undamaged.

Lunchtime break provided me with a cooler engine and renewed determination to reach lower E/T’s. My pit crew (see ‘BusyPitCrew’ picture) made sure the hood was raised after every run to let the heat out. The competition was surely distracted ;)

10-15mph headwind. Sunny about 75. Racing a 12 second dragcar next to me in the other lane. Burnout. Stage. Wait for other driver to stage. Keep eyes on tree. RPM’s to 3000. Yellow light, rpms to 4000, yellow, 4200, yellow, clutch slowly out and pedal to the floor, GREEN!! Reaction time- .0083. The car felt strong. Good grip, no wheelspin. 60 foot time – 2.04. Quick shift into second rewarded me with a nice long ‘chirp’ that would help propel the car faster forward. I could feel the g-force pulling my cheeks a little harder this time. Think. Don’t miss 3rd, keep strong grip on stock shifter. Smiled as a short ‘chirp’ was heard due to shifting into 3rd. Keep gas pedal down like there’s no tomorrow. I could see the finish line coming quickly as I pass 100MPH to a 13.77@102.17!! I was satisfied with that. Especially since all that was done was keeping the hoop opened between runs. That would be my best run however I ran various 13.80’s, 90’s and 14’s but did run another 13.77 this time at a lower 100.81 mph probably because the engine was hotter than before.

Not bad for a stock GT with a cold air intake and inexperienced manual transmission driver. I’m guessing that without the headwind, lower temperatures, less weight (I still had tools and stuff in the trunk and over a half tank of gas) and with some more runs I could get the E/T’s lower. The only negative thing worth mentioning is that the GT’s brakes moaned and groaned when slowing down from the 100+mph runs. I started going down the extended shutdown road to give me more time to brake. Future drag racing days for me include an extra set of wheels with slicks and a tuner that I could change programs to run 93 octane fuel while racing for more ignition advance then back to 87 for my commutes to work. This is my driver car and I get 20MPG on average which I think is a great thing considering that I used to get the same with my ‘04 Mustang V6 and ’93-V6 TBird. The GT has so much more horsepower!

I would also like to mention for all you S197 Mustang fans out there that there were a couple Mustang GT California Specials and a ’07 Saleen Mustang Parnelli Jones (see pictures) special edition racing there. The PJ Mustang has a 400HP modular 302 that was running low 13’s (13.2- best I saw). One CS (the white one) was also running low 13’s due to a CAI, with tune, automatic tranny with tune, aftermarket exhaust and throttle body, drag radials and I’m sure some other goodies. The other CS (the black one) had a Saleen supercharger with a WMS intake like your author’s. He was running low 12’s with ‘big-n-littles’ (tires) with slicks. See the pictures.

Hope you enjoyed my story and thanks for reading!!

PS. There is a (new?) limit to the amount that can be uploaded to a post. I'll post more in this topic to add the rest of the pictures.

WOWEEEE, this is a very well written story, I'm glad I came along for the ride it was alot of fun watching you race. :dreamy: :burnout: :shift::wub:

Archived