TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil filter issue (I really need help with this one)

All,

I really could use everyones feedback on this post. This past Saturday I was at Road Atlanta for track day. I was on my third session with an instructor. At the end of lap two as I started lap three I had oil blow out that covered my whole left side of the car. I lost control but was fortunate not to hit the wall and instead ended up in the rock trap. After further review the problem seemed to be the oil filter. I took pictures of the problem. The oil cam out of the oil filter (see attachment) You can see the rubber gasket outside the filter body. The filter body was not damaged and the seal was not damaged. The tech at the dealership said the filter was tightened properly. With no filter damage and it tightened properly that would only lead me to believe one thing. I had the oil changed at a dealership about 3 weeks prior and I believe the only way this gasket ended up outside the filter was improper installation. This meaning the seal was not seated properly and it was put on with the seal partially outside the groove it was designed to be in.

The other issue is I lost 5 arts of oil and I am concerned now that there could be internal damage to the engine that cannot be seen. I love what Ford has done with this car and I would hate for it to be hurt by some human error.

I really would appreciate any feedback members may have. Thanks

post-45841-0-39885200-1467071439_thumb.jpg

post-45841-0-17024700-1467071472_thumb.jpg

post-45841-0-47945300-1467071488_thumb.jpg

Agreed, installation issue. Motor damage, probably not. Spin may have saved it :)

If its not making any unusual sounds and has good pressure, I think you are good. You may want to call the Ford performance hotline and ask them

Is it possible they left the old filter gasket on there and spun the new filter on top of it? I've heard of this very thing happening with this scenario.

Quite a shame, but the guys doing "3K Services" usually hate doing them and can get hasty and careless sometimes. I know.....I wrote service for a few years.

Good idea Tim has there...calling the Ford Perf guys. I sure hope the rock trap didn't scar your new baby up too bad?

Edited by BIKEBOY

Thanks Bikeboy. Looks like we have the exact same color scheme. Ford is not being to nice about this. I am disappointed in their response. I think careless techs is common. I spoke to service manager and director of service and they both said you are suppose to hand tighten the oil filter. It even says in our supplement on page 36 that the oil filter is to be torqued to 16-18 lbs. This will be an issue for GT 350 owners and Ford if they do not address this. Not to mention it done a significant amount of damage.

Sorry to hear but glad no damage.

Unfortunately this is one of the biggest reasons I do most of my work myself on my car. I never torque mine on but I will always wipe the sealing surface. One to make sure clean, two to double check for old gasket or anything left behind I may miss. Then coat the new gasket with oil to help seal and when spinning on it does not stick and bunch up I guess you could say and be a possible leak later. Spin on when gasket seals I give extra ehh 3/4 to full turn maybe to tighten. I'm wondering if spun that on with a dry gasket, seen this same thing happen at work. Once that gasket not flat or perfect don't take long for that pressure to push it out some where.

Good luck to you but sounds like be ok just mess to clean up.

IMO it's not the install. If it were, I think it would have leaked before it did. Parts fail sometimes. With any luck all that oil that caused you to lose traction basically came out at once and you didn't drive much on it after that it sounds like. Maybe?

I know when I take my car in for the oil change the tech will see my manual instructions. It says torque to 18lb and that's what is required . No if or buts.

The Ford filter I've been told has pink substance on it to help lock it into place. Follow the manual instructions or you might find out the hard way . Plus if you don't use a ford filter and the engine suffers damage you might not be covered. Read the 350 manual.

Edited by mach 1 1970

Had a similar issue at Mosport last weekend. This happened two months after the oil change. No leaks evident for that time but oil started pouring out going down the back straight. When I started to brake for turn 7 at around 140 I went for a wild ride, luckily not hitting anything. Oil filter appeared intact but loose. Not sure it was torqued properly by my speed shop.

• 3 months later...

Funny, I had just come across this on LMR.com - Shelby GT350/R Oil Filter Socket
The Shelby GT350 and GT350R require the new oil filter to be torqued down after an oil change. This is due to the harmonics that the flat plane crank engine generates. If the oil filter is not torqued down, the filter will vibrate and fall off.

This is such an unusual requirement I imagine many GT350's will have issues over the years.

All,

I really could use everyones feedback on this post. This past Saturday I was at Road Atlanta for track day. I was on my third session with an instructor. At the end of lap two as I started lap three I had oil blow out that covered my whole left side of the car. I lost control but was fortunate not to hit the wall and instead ended up in the rock trap. After further review the problem seemed to be the oil filter. I took pictures of the problem. The oil cam out of the oil filter (see attachment) You can see the rubber gasket outside the filter body. The filter body was not damaged and the seal was not damaged. The tech at the dealership said the filter was tightened properly. With no filter damage and it tightened properly that would only lead me to believe one thing. I had the oil changed at a dealership about 3 weeks prior and I believe the only way this gasket ended up outside the filter was improper installation. This meaning the seal was not seated properly and it was put on with the seal partially outside the groove it was designed to be in.

The other issue is I lost 5 arts of oil and I am concerned now that there could be internal damage to the engine that cannot be seen. I love what Ford has done with this car and I would hate for it to be hurt by some human error.

I really would appreciate any feedback members may have. Thanks

If you asked the dealer about the oil filter, of course they are going to say it was tightened properly. Admitting you took the car to the track can also void any warranty coverage you may be seeking. Its states such in the Owners Manua/GT350 Supplement. If this did indeed happen on a track you may be dead in the water for any warranty claims. If you feel the oil filter was installed improperly the first question to ask would have been "please provide me a copy of the Ford Training Certificates of the tech that worked on my car has completed". If they don't willingly show you this info or provide this info then I would be suspect. Some dealerships may have techs working on these cars at their facilities that aren't even qualified to work on a GT-350.Not bashing dealers just providing you some feedback.

If I end up buying a gt350 I will safety wire the oil filter.

Edited by mhr1961

If you asked the dealer about the oil filter, of course they are going to say it was tightened properly. Admitting you took the car to the track can also void any warranty coverage you may be seeking. Its states such in the Owners Manua/GT350 Supplement. If this did indeed happen on a track you may be dead in the water for any warranty claims. If you feel the oil filter was installed improperly the first question to ask would have been "please provide me a copy of the Ford Training Certificates of the tech that worked on my car has completed". If they don't willingly show you this info or provide this info then I would be suspect. Some dealerships may have techs working on these cars at their facilities that aren't even qualified to work on a GT-350.Not bashing dealers just providing you some feedback.

If I end up buying a gt350 I will safety wire the oil filter.

My first question would have been "What torque?"

• 1 year later...