TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Chip Beck Hood Scoop

DaveWms

What is a Chip Beck Hood Scoop? Pic?

ah... um... it's a hood scoop designed by Chip Beck :headscratch:

Sorry for the smart ass, sarcastic comment but that's just me being me. Chip did a lot of research on this he even went to the wind tunnel to try to deign a functional scoop that looked like the original scoops on our cars. If memory serves me right it got to be quite expensive in the end. You can do a search on "Chip Beck" and it will give quite an extensive output to hood scoop threads.

gallery_13043_1123_348284.jpg

gallery_13043_1123_817072.jpg

Close up shots of my scoop. A very nicely done piece of work - NOT CHEAP!! You must paint and or install it yourself - I spent $850 and did a lot of work myself, but it was well worth it, and at the time, it was way better than anything coming from Ford or Shelby.

I also cut out the hood and made the scoop "functional" - it does keep things a bit cooler under the hood and on shutdown, allows heat to escape faster. I also don't have any problems with water or debris entering the engine compartment.

I don't know about the latest generation of replacement scoops from SAI, but I'm sure someone will chime in on those!

Sam

Is the last rev of the hood scoop no longer available from Shelby? It's holding up just fine. Chip was a HUGE advocate and used his aircraft expertise to come up with a scoop you could likely put on an airplane! However this was when we were all dealing with rev after rev of scoops that didn't hold up. The last rev worked well for me and still looks great today.

I ordered a new scoop from Shelby, but I had to get FRPP to give them permission to sell it to me first ($170 + shipping).

You have to send them the old scoop BEFORE they will send you the new one!

Yep, that's correct and I think it's a good thing. Prevents fake Shelby GTs from appearing.

I ordered a new scoop from Shelby, but I had to get FRPP to give them permission to sell it to me first ($170 + shipping).

You have to send them the old scoop BEFORE they will send you the new one!

I did have to call FRPP, and send pictures of my warped scoop,to get a replacement.

But they never asked for my old one back.

It now hangs on the wall in my garage.

I did have to call FRPP, and send pictures of my warped scoop,to get a replacement.

But they never asked for my old one back.

It now hangs on the wall in my garage.

Lucky you, they screwed up LOL.

• 3 years later...

This is an old thread for certain but I have a favor if any of you can help. 

I was fortunate enough to buy Chip Beck's last hood scoop (he thought they were all gone but he found one somewhere in his garage).

The favor I ask has to do with locating the thread where Chip posted photos of every step of the process of replacing the hood scoop and making it functional.  I am in the process of having my stripes painted on (I know, I know, it's about time) and doing the hood scoop at the same time.

Thanks in advance if you can help.  Hope everyone is well as Thanksgiving approaches.

Jim Clark

29 minutes ago, clark17357 said:

This is an old thread for certain but I have a favor if any of you can help. 

I was fortunate enough to buy Chip Beck's last hood scoop (he thought they were all gone but he found one somewhere in his garage).

The favor I ask has to do with locating the thread where Chip posted photos of every step of the process of replacing the hood scoop and making it functional.  I am in the process of having my stripes painted on (I know, I know, it's about time) and doing the hood scoop at the same time.

Thanks in advance if you can help.  Hope everyone is well as Thanksgiving approaches.

Jim Clark

I too have a chip beck hood scoop rivnuts are your friend 

Edited by andrewnagle1964

Thank you, Andrew.  Much appreciated.  I had a friend in Phoenix pick up the hood scoop from Chip personally and, while he was there, Chip allowed his 12 year old son to sit in both his 2006 and 2018/2019 Ford GTs.  I am looking forward to getting my car, 2008 SGT/SC, all fixed up and then take it back down to Terlingua in 2020 for the high speed run.  We did 172 back in 2013 and it had a bit more left (I think).  I'm sure the new hood scoop will make it either go faster or look like it's going faster.  Thank you again.

Jim

13 hours ago, clark17357 said:

Thank you, Andrew.  Much appreciated.  I had a friend in Phoenix pick up the hood scoop from Chip personally and, while he was there, Chip allowed his 12 year old son to sit in both his 2006 and 2018/2019 Ford GTs.  I am looking forward to getting my car, 2008 SGT/SC, all fixed up and then take it back down to Terlingua in 2020 for the high speed run.  We did 172 back in 2013 and it had a bit more left (I think).  I'm sure the new hood scoop will make it either go faster or look like it's going faster.  Thank you again.

Jim

My pleasure, just relax and breath when you break out the saw and cut the hood  buy the rivnut tool

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 11:08 AM, andrewnagle1964 said:

My pleasure, just relax and breath when you break out the saw and cut the hood  buy the rivnut tool

Candidly, while I have the tools to do it myself, I am not going to.  There is a place here in San Diego (Mission Bay Classics) that does work of a quality I could only dream of matching.  The car is going to them to have the stripes painted on and for them to do the hood.  

9 hours ago, clark17357 said:

Candidly, while I have the tools to do it myself, I am not going to.  There is a place here in San Diego (Mission Bay Classics) that does work of a quality I could only dream of matching.  The car is going to them to have the stripes painted on and for them to do the hood.  

Nothing wrong with this approach 

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought my 2007 Shelby GT and am in the process of ordering a new hood scoop from Shelby America.

i am told that the new scoop rivets to the hood instead of the original 4 bolts.

Anyone done this in the past?

What should I expect, as far as fitment?

12 hours ago, Norm Brook said:

I just bought my 2007 Shelby GT and am in the process of ordering a new hood scoop from Shelby America.

i am told that the new scoop rivets to the hood instead of the original 4 bolts.

Anyone done this in the past?

What should I expect, as far as fitment?

There's an entire thread dedicated to your question pinned it the SGT forums section that will answer your questions and ones you never thought to ask....👌

Screenshot_20191211-072842.png

Edited by 08SGT1234

• 7 months later...

Greetings All.  I hope this post finds everyone in reasonably good health and good spirits under the current circumstances.

My project of having the last of the Chip Beck hood scoops installed on my 2008 SGT is complete as is the total repaint of the car that included painting on the top and side stripes.

When I announced I was replacing my original hood scoop with the functional Chip Beck hood scoop, someone inquired about getting my original hood scoop.  I said I would be in touch when the project was complete.  Well, the project is complete (pick up the car on Monday, July 20th) but I cannot find the message from the member who was interested in the original scoop.  If that member could be in touch with me, I would appreciate it.

Jim