TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I did a STUPID thing with my Shelby.

Bruce2009KR

Folks,

I'm embarrassed to say I got squirrely with my GT500KR the other night and hit the median curb and put a dent in my original GT500KR Alcoa rim. I've got a wobbly ride and they say I need a new rim. I told the guy he's not going to find one. He assures me that the Ford dealer he spoke with said he can; although it's on National "Backorder" so it will take time. He gave him my VIN number.

I contacted Shelby parts and they said Alcoa stopped making them years ago and that my only chance was eBAY or similar. I'm so angry with myself I could spit.

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. It's not a huge looking dent and I first thought of taking it to a place in Fairfax that has a good reputation for fixing pot-holed rims, etc. Any thoughts on that??

Thank you in advance.

Bruce

First off Bruce..... No need to say you did a stupid thing!

We've all been there.....

Second, if you have a wobbly ride, a pot hole guy (someone correct me if I'm wrong) can't straighten the wheel. I believe they just repair blemishes....no?

Hummm :headscratch: , if you post a pic :camera: of the Alcoa wheel, I may be able to stop by a large hub/wheel grave-yard near my place and see if by chance they have one :detective:... many times they don’t know what they have. "I suspect" there are a lot of single items (midnight acquisitions) that end-up in their inventory (unknowingly of course). :drop: Long shot, but I have the time.

Doc :tim_hahn:

Edited by Voodoo Child

Hummm :headscratch: , if you post a pic :camera: of the Alcoa wheel, I may be able to stop by a large hub/wheel grave-yard near my place and see if by chance they have one :detective:... many times they don’t know what they have. "I suspect" there are a lot of single items (midnight acquisitions) that end-up in their inventory (unknowingly of course). :drop: Long shot, but I have the time.

That wheel will probably sell for about $1,000.00 or better......just for ONE.

I'll tell ya what, since you are a somewhat new member you may not know the history of these but, if you get the chance and you walk through there and find one buy it! Because they are being sold for BIG BUCKS :spend: when you can find them at all!

If I owned a KR, I would remove the Wheels, the Front Splitter and possibly the Hood and replace them with nice After Market knock offs just because of what it would cost to replace them.

Edited by tesgt350

I'll tell ya what, since you are a somewhat new member you may not know the history of these but, if you get the chance and you walk through there and find one buy it! Because they are being sold for BIG BUCKS :spend: when you can find them at all!

See that's what I'm talkin' about....

That wheel will probably sell for about $1,000.00 or better......just for ONE.

Folks,

I'm embarrassed to say I got squirrely with my GT500KR the other night and hit the median curb and put a dent in my original GT500KR Alcoa rim. I've got a wobbly ride and they say I need a new rim. I told the guy he's not going to find one. He assures me that the Ford dealer he spoke with said he can; although it's on National "Backorder" so it will take time. He gave him my VIN number.

I contacted Shelby parts and they said Alcoa stopped making them years ago and that my only chance was eBAY or similar. I'm so angry with myself I could spit.

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. It's not a huge looking dent and I first thought of taking it to a place in Fairfax that has a good reputation for fixing pot-holed rims, etc. Any thoughts on that??

Thank you in advance.

Bruce

I have 2 18" original KR Alcoa wheels that I'm willing to part with. PM me if you are interested - I'm in California.

Just a heads up. If you hit the curb hard enough to cause the wheel to wobble the wheel may now be out of round and I wouldn't repair it. Secondly, if you hit it hard enough to do that there is also a high probability that the front end is now out of alignment, and even a possibility that some front end components may have been damaged. I found this out years ago (not on a sports car) when I went to get a front end alignment after a curb kiss during an ice storm and I was barely moving! (And further note that in 1995 Mercedes parts were expensive; I can't imagine what they are now.)

Edited by twobjshelbys

Actually, Ford may have a lead on a replacement since the cars were modded pre-title. I believe they held on to all replacement parts for the KR until some of the items were sold off to Shelby American a few years ago. Also, they aren't that expensive. The 18" Alcoas aren't nearly as popular or sought after as the 20" Super Snake Alcoas. I would definitely look for a cheaper set of rims to use for routine driving though. There are cheaper replica wheels that could serve that purpose without changing the look too much.

Even if t is repairable the durabrite finish is not. Only ALCOA can do that.

Stick with the folks here like Albino who can set you up with a new wheel or two, but eBay is a good source. I've watched set of four go unsold for less then $1k, recently.

I found this one in less than a minute on eBay. It has a blem per the listing. https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/172062321873

Ive used a wheel repair facility out of Indianapolis, IN that is fantastic. I purchased a badly abused 20" Alcoa that they restored to like new condition. The Durabrite finish can be replicated. It just takes someone who knows what they're doing. That said KR wheels are out there and typically bring much less than they're 20" cousins. GL

Actually, Ford may have a lead on a replacement since the cars were modded pre-title. I believe they held on to all replacement parts for the KR until some of the items were sold off to Shelby American a few years ago. Also, they aren't that expensive. The 18" Alcoas aren't nearly as popular or sought after as the 20" Super Snake Alcoas. I would definitely look for a cheaper set of rims to use for routine driving though. There are cheaper replica wheels that could serve that purpose without changing the look too much.

Well, the history of that is what caused some grief in the KR section a few years back. I think enough time has passed to share that Ford decided to liquidate pallets of KR stock, and it was actually Shelby that didn't want that to happen, but not having the resources to simply buy the entire inventory to sit on, well, you all know what happened there. That story was shared with me by a Ford employee who is no longer there, so I'm not burning anyone by revealing that. But Shelby ended up looking like the bad guy, and all they were trying to do was to protect the KR owners. Not that anyone was wrong from Ford- it was just another dated build to them, (the bean counters anyway) but Shelby cares about their relationship with Ford and certainly weren't going to point fingers. I only bring this up because it is highly, highly unlikely Ford has any KR inventory whatsoever, since we are now at the 7 year mark for that build.

If I owned a KR, I would remove the Wheels, the Front Splitter and possibly the Hood and replace them with nice After Market knock offs just because of what it would cost to replace them.

Then there would be no point to owning a KR. While I understand the apprehension of driving a collector car on road shared by those who frankly shouldn't be riding a bicycle let alone driving a car, this life is far too short to not enjoy the day and the ride in your Shelby.

Bruce, replace the wheel and go ahead and let the tail wag from time to time.

Folks,

I'm humbled by all the support--thank you!!

Here is the update; I took the car to a wheel repair/restore shop in Fairfax, VA today. It was not cheap; cost me $180 to have them work on the wheel but I must say, they did a superb job and the dent is hardly noticeable. The car seemed to ride smoother on the trip home but I definitely still have some issues going on as there is a definite rubbing (chirping at times) sound. When I apply the brakes it stops.

I took the car back to my trusted repair place near my home and they will study it further tomorrow but fear I might have damaged the caliper or axle--or both. I'll report back tomorrow.

While I have you; the ride is quite rough in this car; I realize it's not a Caddilac but was wondering if it might need some new shocks. Being a 2009, is it about time for shocks? Any recommendations as to which ones?

Again, thank you all for your generous time and help with this.

While I have you; the ride is quite rough in this car; I realize it's not a Caddilac but was wondering if it might need some new shocks. Being a 2009, is it about time for shocks? Any recommendations as to which ones?

They are KR specific shocks. If you look at them they have little stickers that say KR on them. A lot of GT500 owners have upgraded their suspension to KR stuff. I wouldn't change them. They are supposed to be like that. :)

Unless of course you damaged one when you hit the curb?

Edited by sheppd01

Folks,

I'm humbled by all the support--thank you!!

Here is the update; I took the car to a wheel repair/restore shop in Fairfax, VA today. It was not cheap; cost me $180 to have them work on the wheel but I must say, they did a superb job and the dent is hardly noticeable. The car seemed to ride smoother on the trip home but I definitely still have some issues going on as there is a definite rubbing (chirping at times) sound. When I apply the brakes it stops.

I took the car back to my trusted repair place near my home and they will study it further tomorrow but fear I might have damaged the caliper or axle--or both. I'll report back tomorrow.

More than likely it's the tires that you are feeling - like others you might want to try some Michelins. JMO

The Ford Racing suspension used on the KR is stiff, but agreed the the Goodyears that came in the KR are also stiff and require a good deal of heat to provide good traction, which doesn't help when feeling frisking running around town. However, no harm if decided to go with a different shock, just don't throw out the originals.

I agree a trip to a good alignment shop to check out your front end on the rack would be a good idea. I would also try a full balance of both front wheels while there. Keep us posted on what the final diagnosis is on your KR and thanks for sharing. If I where you I would pick up a spare after the offers you recieved on the forum as you now know the wheels are hard to come by.

Regards.........gg