TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Have Shelby Will Travel

Well, I told you all I would start a blog when I started to travel cross country with the Shelby GT500. I left this morning from Cape Coral Florida and traveled to Perry Georgia which is where our RV park is and my wife awaits me. The trip went fine getting 21.8 MPH. I paid $3.05 for 93 Octane all the way. I have a CB in the car, and the most interesting thing was the truckers kept calling me out as a Trooper when they saw a combination of my plates, antennas, and laptop installed in the car. It was kind of comical because I would get up on their rear when they were calling me out. Do you think I should let them know I am not incognito?

We are having a big BBQ here tomorrow night, and then heading to a lake in Missouri on Sunday to meet with some old HS classmates. Our plan is to be in Denver on Tuesday or Wednesday to meet with more friends.

If anyone is offended by this thread just PM me and if there is not enough interest, I will not waste my time.

Mark

safe trip mark!!!!

I'm glad you kept your car, but I'd LOVE to see some pics of it with the antennae and other assorted items, lol

I'll be reading with all attention :D

Will post a pic tomorrow of K50 on rear.

Mark2a.jpg

Mark2a.jpg

Hey there big buddy! Just be careful with getting up close behind them there truckers or they may just be taking out your winshield with some rocks throwing up from their tires and taking out some chunks of your paint!

Instead, maybe you could have a little fun by just pulling up along side them and when they look down just motion them with your hand like you want them to pull over! Then speed off into the sunset! :hysterical:

Hey there big buddy! Just be careful with getting up close behind them there truckers or they may just be taking out your winshield with some rocks throwing up from their tires and taking out some chunks of your paint!

Instead, maybe you could have a little fun by just pulling up along side them and when they look down just motion them with your hand like you want them to pull over! Then speed off into the sunset! :hysterical:

Actually, I use the truckers as my ali's for accidents and go-arounds so I usually don't like to piss them off! I just got a kick out of it today because they are not easily fooled!

P1000932a.jpg

mark

I am going to miss ya ... so ya better keep posting ya big lump!!!!

Be safe and keep us posted .... sounds like a trip of a life time ... Have u seen any other shelbys on the road yet ?

When do u think u will get back?

If you go through Texas, stop by Midland, we'll get you some hot tex-mex, a cold beer (or iced tea) and a place to relax.

You're welcome anytime.

mark ..... do ya feel the love ... heck u might not even have to pay for a nights lodging .. betcha u could get free room and board at fellow shelby owners across the country !

Mark - be safe - have fun - and keep us updated, you hear? :happy feet:

Those of us stuck at home can vicariously enjoy your trip with you!

Be good to those truckers. If you ever have a wreck (God forbid), chances are a trucker will be the first on the scene. I drove for 20 years. Copy? :hysterical2:

Old shades of Smokey....

You can run blocker for them there truckers good buddy!

"Breaker Breaker One Nine.... it's all clear to the state line"

Mark,

This sounds like a great trip. Glad that you are able to take the time to do this. I would love to do the same with my car someday. Not enough vacation time for that. Please keep us posted.

Thanks for all the offers and safe driving tips you all! Got started late today because as I mentioned a couple of days ago a couple of friends from Montgomery,Alabama came over and stayed with us up in Georgia at the RV park for the night. We did a couple of burnouts just to stay in practice. Great BBQ.

Started to leave at 2 P.M. and found out the passenger airbag cannot be shutoff. Out came the laptop mount I spent hours to install. No sense in taking any chances with the airbag opening up. Got almost 21 MPG again and petrol was $3.07 for 93 octane. In Atlanta for a Sunday it was balls to the wall traffic. If you have never been here, try 14 lanes of traffic and almost everyone speeding-HOLY S#@T! We picked up I-20 and headed west into Alabama. After an hour it started to rain. About 10 minutes later a Honda Accord passed us. A few minutes later all hell broke loose and we could see cars spinning a mile ahead. You guessed it-the Honda spun int o medium and into the path of an eastbound 18 wheeler. The truck jackknifed and the car went underneath shearing off the top and then hit a pickup. VERY ugly situation and casualties were obvious. We helped all we could and left. We then stopped right away in Birmingham Alabama for the night. Took the wind out of our sales.

Anyway off to LittleRock tomorrow to visit some friends in an area called Hot Springs.

Someone wanted to see a picture of the car with the CB antenna so here goes.........

Mark

k501a.jpg

k501a.jpg

Left Birmingham Alabama early this morning (9:30) and drove west towards Memphis. Car starting to act funky and mileage dropped to 20MPG. When in idle mode even when it is hot she revs at 1100 RPM? Anyone have a clue? Gas prices dropped to $2.87 when we got to Mississippi. Wife drove 3 hours today-scary. Saw an armor truck robbery in front of a Foot Locker Store while passing through the north side of Memphis. We just saw the aftermath. Police running all over the place. Worst potholes on an interstate so far was on I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock,Arkansas.

Arrived in Little Rock and met up with our friends (Grier & Pat Corry) who then took us to their new home being built in Hot Springs on Lake Hamilton. Very neat town even though it is Bill Clinton's home town. Lots of our tax dollars are being used here to refurbish this town. We were however quite impressed and worth a visit in your lifetime. Lake was very busy with boaters. Had dinner at "The Wharf" on the waterfront.

http://www.hamiltonchamber.com/thelake.htm

Heading west tomorrow. Car is comfortable but this will be my last long road trip. Have not seen one Shelby in 5 states. Most mustangs come along side and honk. Quite a few speedsters trying to get me to race but I pick my fights carefully. A fully loaded unmodded Shelby has no business racing especially with my wife getting upset everytime I go over 110. Later......

Left Birmingham Alabama early this morning (9:30) and drove west towards Memphis. Car starting to act funky and mileage dropped to 20MPG. When in idle mode even when it is hot she revs at 1100 RPM? Anyone have a clue? Gas prices dropped to $2.87 when we got to Mississippi. Wife drove 3 hours today-scary. Saw an armor truck robbery in front of a Foot Locker Store while passing through the north side of Memphis. We just saw the aftermath. Police running all over the place. Worst potholes on an interstate so far was on I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock,Arkansas.

Arrived in Little Rock and met up with our friends (Grier & Pat Corry) who then took us to their new home being built in Hot Springs on Lake Hamilton. Very neat town even though it is Bill Clinton's home town. Lots of our tax dollars are being used here to refurbish this town. We were however quite impressed and worth a visit in your lifetime. Lake was very busy with boaters. Had dinner at "The Wharf" on the waterfront.

Heading west tomorrow. Car is comfortable but this will be my last long road trip. Have not seen one Shelby in 5 states. Most mustangs come along side and honk. Quite a few speedsters trying to get me to race but I pick my fights carefully. A fully loaded unmodded Shelby has no business racing especially with my wife getting upset everytime I go over 110. Later......

Car starting to act funky and mileage dropped to 20MPG. When in idle mode even when it is hot she revs at 1100 RPM? Anyone have a clue? Gas prices dropped to $2.87

Maybe it is because of the cheap gas??? :hysterical:

Well you're going to have to tell us all the mods you have. If stock, look for obvious things like a loose connection, an air leak on the intake side, etc. If modified, check all the work you've done. Reload the stock tune. Good luck.

AD

Archived