TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Massive Raptor Electrical Problems

Thanks two, but my first attempt, which wasted two days, was with the local Ford dealer who did not install the SC, this last 2 + weeks is with the dealer who did, the largest in our state. This is apparently the best Ford has.

Wow, seems like time to escalate to district... There is no "back door" to the ECU.

Wow, seems like time to escalate to district... There is no "back door" to the ECU.

Thanks, that's what I suspected. I will give them a few more days, but I am not sure anyone at Ford really cares. Not sure how to get ahold of a district rep, is there a website?

Thanks, that's what I suspected. I will give them a few more days, but I am not sure anyone at Ford really cares. Not sure how to get ahold of a district rep, is there a website?

Talk to the dealer owner, noone else will do, tell them what is happening and that you want the district/regional guy involved to get it resolved NOW.

Has the dealer tried swapping in a new ECU? This would at the very least let them know if in fact the ECU is the issue. And as stated before, it does sound like a ground is bad. It could also be anyone of the relays in the system has gone or is going bad.

Was the SC and programming not Ford sourced?

Tony is right, there is no 'Back Door'. It sounds like you are talking with a service rep who is making S up. My experience with a dealer service department is that you make an appointment and then your Vehical sits there, out side, without a hand or eye being laid on it for several days. Would suspect at least half of the time your truck has been there that no one has made any effort to work on it.

Edited by EL SHELBY

OK, 24 days in the shop now, they finally accessed the computer and found no codes or indications of problems. But, apparently a Ford recall/service bulletin was just issued on Advance-Trac/Decent Control electrical failures, and so parts have been ordered to fix it. Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but still no explanation of the sudden electrical shut-down while cruising at 75.

If it's any consolation, dealer had my 2016 explorer platinum for 50 days now, and Ford is doing a buyback because they can't find the source of the problem on it. Guess I'm getting a new one.

Did that just happen (ie, some timeout happened) or did you have to push for it?

All good questions, and I'll share what I can and know-

Here in Texas, there are a couple of triggers for the state lemon law.

One is 3 attempts to fix the same problem.

Another is if the dealer has had a vehicle for 30 days cumulative over the same issue, IF the dealer did not provide a reasonable substitution for loan- which they did not.

After about 40 days, I called Ford, asked for the regional rep to look in to some other solution, and they actually had already approved buyback.

There are two different avenues to go- one is they give you back what you paid for the vehicle minus a mileage adjustment.

The other is they give you the same amount of money credited like a trade in on any ford vehicle of equal or greater value. (This is how the lemon law is written, not Ford's policy). Because the trade in will be almost identical to what I'm getting, there will be almost a zero tax levy. Title and license will be the only extra money paid. So I'll be out the difference between the two, and mileage adjustment for about 6500 miles. (Don't know that yet). Paperwork takes about 2 weeks start to finish, and the drawback if you finance is you have to qualify all over again. I have to time this just right though, because I bought in December and have my Terlingua donor car hitting the dealer next week in Vegas I am financing at 0% interest as Ford is currently offering that. I need to time it where both dealers are pulling my credit the same day in order to not take a significant score hit. It's gonna get a little crazy for me in the next few days for sure.

That's pretty complicated, but when state laws are involved it always is. I wonder if this trip to have mine fixed, and sitting maybe a month or more, will show up in a CarFax? I would hate to have to go through this several times with this same, no results and sitting, may as well bite the bullet and trade it in now.

Yeah, my replacement explorer I was getting all psyched for just got trashed with every other vehicle in a freak hail storm last night. dammit.

That's bad, and insurance companies get involved now. I saw the news videos of the area around Wylie and the huge hail pounding the cars and even breaking house windows. That kind of storm brings out all the roof, body, and glass repair folks.

OK, maybe this is over, I hope. I have the truck back (29 days), don't know if my website chat with Ford Customer Service and having an investigation number opened at Ford helped, but it drove 85 miles back from the dealer with no issues. Though they found no codes for troubles in the computer, a Technical Service Bulletin was issued last week for F-150 Raptor shutdown electrical issues having to do with re-wiring fuse box circuits (fuel pump?) as a fix, which they did. I hope so, this is the very best truck I have ever had, tows like an F250 diesel (without all the noise, smell, and mess), rides like my wife's Caddy (soft suspension), accelerates like my '13 GT350, and goes mudding and off-roading on Jeep trails like the best.

OK, maybe this is over, I hope. I have the truck back (29 days), don't know if my website chat with Ford Customer Service and having an investigation number opened at Ford helped, but it drove 85 miles back from the dealer with no issues. Though they found no codes for troubles in the computer, a Technical Service Bulletin was issued last week for F-150 Raptor shutdown electrical issues having to do with re-wiring fuse box circuits (fuel pump?) as a fix, which they did. I hope so, this is the very best truck I have ever had, tows like an F250 diesel (without all the noise, smell, and mess), rides like my wife's Caddy (soft suspension), accelerates like my '13 GT350, and goes mudding and off-roading on Jeep trails like the best.

Thats exactly why Ive blown through countless other vehicles but my Raptor has been here and always will be.

• 1 month later...

It ought to qualify as a lemon law return by now. Especially after the time at the dealer with no progress. Start with the customer service line and go directly to a supervisor and have them tell you WHY it does or doesn't qualify. Don't just take "no" for an answer.

Guys, I'm worn out talking to Ford, the dealer, having it sit, saying it's fixed and then having it all start over again. I could get a lawyer and fight it all in court since the dealer and Ford deny anything is wrong since they have checked it out for over two months, but I would just rather call it a day and just get a new truck.

Mike, give me a call on this. There are tons of Whipple Raptors out there without a hint of this problem so we just need to find the simple fix. I thought we were all patched up, but anytime you have an issue please call me FIRST. I don't want to find out about it by scanning the forums. That's what I'm here for. And in the event you still want to sell it, frankly I'd be interested in it myself.

J

OK Jeff I'll call, but after it sitting at Rich service for a month, and nothing is found, and now a month later it all starts again, I don't want it sitting another month and then doing this all over, I need a truck.

Edited by mikeljgt500kr

No problem Mike, as I said... always call me first so I can get a handle on what you need right away.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for taking time with me today and getting the service director involved in the issues. I think we have a great plan for going forward and I am happy and certain it will be resolved.