TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Massive Raptor Electrical Problems

I posted this on the Raptor Forum, but no responses, maybe somebody here has heard of it. My 2013 dealer-SC Raptor has begun, about a week ago, having some big problems. It started out as when first started in the cold morning giving a message of "Advanc-Trac failure, service Advanc-Trac", then escalated a few days later to saying that plus "Hill Decent Control Fault" and shifting into hill decent control by itself and grinding to a halt and slow speed since it was engaged. Each time a key off and restart cleared it up and all was fine the rest of the day, and you could engage and disengage both features with no problems. Then, when I was towing my car trailer at 80 mph on I-40, after about 400 miles for the day, the entire vehicle shut down with a shudder, like you turned the key off. A few seconds later, I gave it gas and it started up again and continued but the climate control, blue tooth telephone, nav, and radio unit was off and the nav (would not recognize SD card I had in it since new) and radio would not come back on. After two days now of trying, they have finally come back on now. I have a service appointment next week but am afraid to drive it with all these electrical problems, anyone ever hear of such issues with such a new (35K miles) truck?

Unfortunate that is the state of affairs with modern electronics. For the most part, an electrical/circuitry component failure should result in permanent malfunction. However, if a system reset (on/off), allows for full recovery or partial functionality… then, I would consider some outside factors such as environmental causes (humidity affecting the circuitry due to module/housing insulation breach or excessive heat on the main or a subsystem support module/sensor). Also look at a support components connections (bad ground due to loose contact or frayed wires), resulting in the kind of problem you are describing. On the other hand, similar factors can corrupt the software that supports functions associated with those components (electrical surges… etc.). Was the truck exposed to bad wx (lighting in the vecinity , etc) ? I had experienced similar oddities on aircraft components that were caused by inadequate voltage/current. Obviously, continuing to operate the truck with the problem(s), can directly affect (destroy) a vulnerable and expensive mechanical component. I am with you in that may be best to place the truck on a flatbed and send it to a dealer. Lets hope thay will have qualified personnel to troubleshoot the Raptor’s system(s) and perform the correct repairs. Best of Luck. :hat_tip:

Edited by Voodoo Child

Guest markham51

I posted this on the Raptor Forum, but no responses, maybe somebody here has heard of it. My 2013 dealer-SC Raptor has begun, about a week ago, having some big problems. It started out as when first started in the cold morning giving a message of "Advanc-Trac failure, service Advanc-Trac", then escalated a few days later to saying that plus "Hill Decent Control Fault" and shifting into hill decent control by itself and grinding to a halt and slow speed since it was engaged. Each time a key off and restart cleared it up and all was fine the rest of the day, and you could engage and disengage both features with no problems. Then, when I was towing my car trailer at 80 mph on I-40, after about 400 miles for the day, the entire vehicle shut down with a shudder, like you turned the key off. A few seconds later, I gave it gas and it started up again and continued but the climate control, blue tooth telephone, nav, and radio unit was off and the nav (would not recognize SD card I had in it since new) and radio would not come back on. After two days now of trying, they have finally come back on now. I have a service appointment next week but am afraid to drive it with all these electrical problems, anyone ever hear of such issues with such a new (35K miles) truck?

I have a 13 Raptor ..no issues. I did some cruising through various Raptor forums...nothing shows up. Something as random as you are experiencing sounds like it could be a grounding issue. Your dealer should be able to find it. Good luck.

dealer-SC?

Rich Ford in ABQ (HyperStangs) sold the new Raptor to me and added a Whipple Cobra Jet Supercharger for 600 HP so I could tow better. I hope they can find it, if not it is toast to me and goes to the crusher for all I care.

Edited by mikeljgt500kr

Thanks, yes I am hoping for codes. I have talked to a couple of newer F-150 owners who had theirs shut down while driving too. One shifted into first at 70 mph, scary. They said the dealers said they could find nothing wrong and couldn't duplicate the fault, so it was just a one time fluke. None believed that and sold them.

Guest markham51

I had a BMW 3 series that did that all the time. My wife drove the car. I eventually threatened to "kill the service manager" and they fixed it. Of course I would have never killed the service manager (I WOULD HAVE HAD SOMEONE ELSE DO IT). I parked the car at the dealership and told the service manager to use it every day himself until he found the problem.

My daughter's Lexus IS would just shut down in traffic intermittently. Her doors would unlock when she made a right turn into a parking lot..occasionally. But of course they could never fix it because it wasn't throwing codes and it would never act up during a service tech test drive. So it never got fixed and i just sold it.

Electrical problems can occur for a whole bunch of reasons. 99% of them get fixed by the dealer. Some times they don't.

A partial update: Took the truck into my local dealer (only 25 miles away), they looked at it and refused to work or diagnose anything, saying the supercharger voided all warranties (they think) and Ford won't let them deal with it, and since the program was changed, they can't get any info from the ECU and won't touch it. They suggested I take it back to Rich Ford (HyperStangs) who sold me the truck with the supercharger and see if they will fix it and if any warranties remain (35K miles and 2 1/2 years). So, I will drive it, if it makes it, 90 miles to Rich Ford and see if they will touch it. This is not looking good so far.

I have seen this time and time again with intermittent shut down issues....as Warren already stated, check ECU (computer) and also verify all grounds. Many Ford dealers don't spend the needed time to diagnose. I can bet you money it will be a bad ground, shorted ECU, or loose connection. Ford's computer systems are among the best, but as with anything, when there is a bad ground connection, someone arcs the battery, jump starts incorrectly, or leaves the key on when jump starting, there is a huge chance you fry the ECU....

Alex

Two weeks plus now in the shop, they are still trying to communicate with the computer, they are looking for a "backdoor" into it still. Is all Ford warranty service like this????? I have never had one of my Fords in for anything but oil changes, this makes we wonder if they know what they are doing and have any training to work on electronics. Wondering when I should yank it and get a lawyer to see about the lemon laws application.

They are full of it. Can't they find the OBDII port? Find another dealer. Any other dealer is also going to balk at the mods given what it is doing, so I'd suggest you return it to the dealer that installed it in the first place.

Edited by twobjshelbys