TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Does Ford really need a 350 and a 500?

blk12svt

With all the speculation I've read about a possible 17 or 18 GT500 with a twin turbo 6, one has to ask, does Ford really need two Shelby cars? I am inclined to believe that we won't see another 500 till the 350 is played out. Ford likely wouldn't sell any more Shelby's if there were a choice between two and I figure it will just split the buyers they have. Just curious if others hold this view.

There are two possible questions here, depending on how much interpretation and assumptions are made.

If you really mean "is there room for a big displacement high horsepower engine, probably a V8, in a car intended for straight line performance" then I think the answer is yes.

If you really mean is there a place for two Shelby branded products in the lineup at the same time, Ford has hinted that is not the case.

I expect that there will be a high HP car like the former GT500 but that it will get a different name, e.g., Mach 1. Ford has hinted as much. The fact that the GT350 (track car) and a higher performance (straight line) car can coexist is borne out by the fact that the GT500 and Boss302 were in the lineup at the same time.

However, the car that became the GT350 was spotted on the streets (in camoflage) as much as two years before it was announced and we have had no reports of a Mustang bearing such markings being spotted in the usual test areas. We would need to start seeing it no later than this summer for it to be a 2018 model and I believe it is already too late for 2017.

Regarding the car being a V6TT. I really don't know. If they do a Mustang like this it also will not fit the bill for a bit straight line high HP car. Although it may net out the HP, the time it takes the turbos to spool up will not help the 1/4 mile guys. If they do that (and it seems possible given Ford's choice for the Ford GT and the use of smaller displacement Turbo engines for other vehicles). However, if they do that I would definitely see the model name NOT being GT500 since I think everyone would like to see the legacy of the GT500 end with a V8.

On the other hand, if Ford really did mean that there is only one Shelby branded product at a time, the GT500 could return after the end of the GT350 run. Estimate that at 4 years (maybe 5) since suppliers were queued for a 4 year production numbers on subcontracted parts.

Edited by twobjshelbys

In 1969 Ford had a 6 Cyl. a regular Mustang that could be ordered with a 302, 351W, 390, or a 428CJ, a GT that could be ordered with a 302, 351W, 390 or a 428CJ, a Mach 1 that could be ordered with a 302, 351W, 390 or a 428CJ, a Shelby GT 350 and a Shelby GT 500. Then you have the custom models like the rare "600". SO, offering a 4 Cyl Turbo, a V6, a V8 (GT), a Shelby GT 350 and a Shelby GT 500 is not that bad.

times have changed since the old days. they had less understanding of how to market and sell vehicles back then. that was more about trial and error and it was easy to swap drivetrains when everything else stayed the same. not so today.

i agree, please dont ruin the legacy of the GT500 with another round of models and especially not with a twin-turbo six.

Of course we need both! One for track duty and another boulevard bruiser street beast torque monster!! :thumbsup:

Keep the horsepower wars going as long as possible but I also think it will be a Mach1 we see ... I think that Ford has built the last Sheby model for a while with the GT350

In 1969 Ford had a 6 Cyl. a regular Mustang that could be ordered with a 302, 351W, 390, or a 428CJ, a GT that could be ordered with a 302, 351W, 390 or a 428CJ, a Mach 1 that could be ordered with a 302, 351W, 390 or a 428CJ, a Shelby GT 350 and a Shelby GT 500. Then you have the custom models like the rare "600". SO, offering a 4 Cyl Turbo, a V6, a V8 (GT), a Shelby GT 350 and a Shelby GT 500 is not that bad.

I could be wrong, it would be the third time but, in 69, the bas engine for the Mach 1 was a 351 2V I believe

But yes, they need a straight line mauler

How do they get "that" from those pics????

:doh:

That looks like a regular run-o-the-mill GT to me.....seems a s t r e t c h to me.

a special edition every year? doesn't that defeat the purpose of being "special edition"?

It is a leak (but at least this one has a photo) and the source is much more credible than the horsepower kings, but you've still got to take stuff like this with a grain of salt.

Remember they also did the special 50th anniversary cars as a one timer... Bullitt in 2008. So there is a precedent for that.

How do they get "that" from those pics????

:doh:

That looks like a regular run-o-the-mill GT to me.....seems a s t r e t c h to me.

Look at the exhaust tips. It's not a stock GT. Seems like the perfect disguise; hiding in plain sight.

I can't imagine Ford or SAI is not going to produce a 50th anniversary GT500

I agree, hard to not take advantage of that seminal event. So, was 1967 the first year for the GT500? If so, 2017 is not far off!!!

-Pockdog

I don't think Ford would sell a 350 and a 500 at the same time. Two Shelby branded models may just end up cannibalizing each other in sales. One thing they might do though, or at least that I think they should do, is sell a street legal Cobra Jet for awhile. That would take care of the road racers and the drag racers and as such there'd really be no need for a 500.

To start with,, there were two 6 cyl. Mustang engines in '69, the 200 and the 250, both 1v. Not only could the 351 be had in 2v or 4v trim, but the 428 could be had in CJ or SCJ form, as well as with or without Ram-Air, and you didn't even include the most sought after specialty models; Boss 302, Boss 429 and the mighty Mustang 'E'!

There is no reason Ford couldn't offer a 350 and 500 at the same time, they have done it many times in the past and even recently offered the Boss 302 and GT500 at the same time, they are for different buyers. Chevy and Dodge offers more options, including automatics, would love to see Ford offer a high HP GT500 w/ auto - I am a buyer.

What is with the media and getting scoops? Most of that stuff that is 'scooped', like that article, probably never happens,yet nobody ever goes back and calls the media for their false reports. Just report the news, and stop with the made up crap just to sell papers.

I would hope if Ford did make a Turbo Mustang they would badge it as a "SVO" not a Shelby.

It will be interesting to see what develops over the next few years.

Kevin

07SGT2591

Not to go off topic, but your car is absolutely Beautiful ! Edited by cmcmotorworks

I would like to see Ford offer a very special edition GT 500 like they did with the 2000 Cobra R. Since the 1967 GT 350 and GT 500 looked the same, Ford can use the GT 350 Car, drop in an even BIGGER Power Plant re stripe & Badge it to GT 500 and build only 500 of them.

I would hope if Ford did make a Turbo Mustang they would badge it as a "SVO" not a Shelby.

It will be interesting to see what develops over the next few years.

Kevin

07SGT2591

They DO make a Turbo. It is the 2.3 Eco-Boost which is a Turbo. There has been talk of possibly bringing back the SVO Badge for it.

I would like to see Ford offer a very special edition GT 500

I don't want to see a limited edition GT500, at least I don't want to ONLY see a limited edition - I want something I can buy without waiting 6 months and paying a large ADM, just offer a GT500 with a lot of different colors and options and don't restrict buyers. If you want to ADD a special edition, fine.