TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Member/Owner

zpele

Just wanted to introduce myself:

A few weeks ago I was finally able to buy my dream car- a 2012 Shelby GT500. I am coming from a fully bolted 2007 MazdaSpeed6 (mid 12 second 1/4 with a good driver) but she was getting high in mileage and I had to either put ~$5k into her or trade her in so I did my research for a few months and finally found a nice low-mileage GT500.

Plans for the Shelby:

- Roush axleback (already bought/shipped)

- Oil Separator (already bought/shipped)

- Heat Exchanger

- JLT Big Intake

- Tune

- Upper puller/Lower balancer

- Rear chassis brace

- Various suspension mods (I live in New England so I probably will never lower the car)

Let me know if this is a good route- I also want to make sure I modify this car safely as it is my daily driver and I want it to last. The Mazda needed a lot of supporting mods to make it safe for the engine and I don't know what is needed outside of the HE and Oil Separator to make sure safe power is made on the Shelby.

Eventually I want to add a bigger supercharger in a few years but for now I'm going to keep it semi-tame.

post-45803-0-32191000-1454263121_thumb.jpg

Zpele Welcome to T.S & enjoy your new ride, also gives some feedback on what you think of your Shelby.

I love the car. Its got some issues with the shifter though- I have to put it in first and second before reverse to keep it from grinding, it also sometimes doesn't go into fifth until I go to sixth first. Seems like there is a gate getting in the way or something. Maybe bad syncros?

Is there an easy fix for this? I hesitate to change the shifter assembly because on the Mazda if you messed up and broke the shift cable for some reason you had to basically take the dash apart all the way down to the firewall. Is that also the case on the Shelby?

I love the car. Its got some issues with the shifter though- I have to put it in first and second before reverse to keep it from grinding, it also sometimes doesn't go into fifth until I go to sixth first. Seems like there is a gate getting in the way or something. Maybe bad syncros?

Is there an easy fix for this? I hesitate to change the shifter assembly because on the Mazda if you messed up and broke the shift cable for some reason you had to basically take the dash apart all the way down to the firewall. Is that also the case on the Shelby?

It was an issue with that year car....

Search for threads on this.....there are MANY!

Congrats and welcome, as others have said! :salute:

Welcome aboard! That's pretty much the standard list of mods a lot of people do, though you may find that there's no need for the HE unless you track it hard (and if you do that be sure to replace the brake fluid with something high-temp like motul 600 too). If it's still running the stock Goodyear tires you'll want to think about Michelin pilot super sports too -- the tires Ford should have put on these cars.

As far as the transmission, take it to a dealer and get it fixed under warranty while you still can. Our 2010 was doing almost the exact same thing by the sound of it (most notable cause was that things were misaligned from the start which slowly bent the clutch forks out of place and ultimately killed the odd synchros) and they rebuilt the whole tranny including a new clutch disc on their dime. Many people also recommend either a 2013/14 shifter or a 3rd party shifter (search the forum for numerous recommendations) to prevent future problems and for a better feel.

I currently use most of the mods you plan to install. You will be very happy once everything is installed. Although I have not installed my Shelby American extreme duty heat exchanger...I've read enough post to claim it will definitely help combat heat soak even when not tracking the car

Archived