TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Boss 302 Forgotten Little Step Sister

39Mustang

Since the new GT350 has come out WOW how fast people have forgotten the Boss 302 already and in my opinion its a shame. Overall this Boss 302 was the best Mustang ever built and like the other topic said 'why so many Boss 302's For Sale' when this Mustang is as perfect as it gets. Yes, the new Mustang has the IRS and the GT350 has magnetic ride suspension with a 8,200 rpm screaming 5.2, but the Boss 302 even with a live axle weighs less and still drives great on the street and any track you put it on.

With the price of the GT350 you should be able to get great deals on the Boss 302

I have a great idea for another limited run of cars if Ford is willing to bring back the 5.8 from the 13-14 GT500's which in my opinion is the best engine and what about a 2018 Boss 351 using the same 5.8 GT500 engine?

Hey FORD, put the cars head-to-head in 2018 and see what sells better?

2018 Shelby GT350 w/ 5.2 525hp 8,200 rpm max - magnetic ride suspension

2018 Boss 351 w/ 5.8 n/a 535hp 8,000 rpm max - adj. coil-overs

I love the Boss, but IMO the new base GT is a better overall car. The New Camaro will drive ford to make it even better.

Ford took the solid axle as far as they could, but in the end on regular roads it can't compare to an IRS.

+1 .... They are great cars but Ford will be pushing forward with new tech and staying ahead of everyone else.

I love the Boss 302 and if I had a choice between it and the new GT350 it would be a tough one for me. I don't have to worry about that though!!

You know , I do like the new GT350, but what will happen and how much will tecnological repairs cost? The 302 is more true to the basics and I believe would cost less to maintain down the road. This is one reason I have a 65 and refuse to replace it with a new fantastic car based on tech peramiters vs. basic tech that has been proven durable and fairly inexpensive parts. I believe the 302s and Shelby GTs are the best bank for your buck newer track cars. Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

You know , I do like the new GT350, but what will happen and how much will tecnological repairs cost? The 302 is more true to the basics and I believe would cost less to maintain down the road. This is one reason I have a 65 and refuse to replace it with a new fantastic car based on tech peramiters vs. basic tech that has been proven durable and fairly inexpensive parts. I believe the 302s and Shelby GTs are the best bank for your buck newer track cars. Just my opinion.

:rating:

• 1 month later...

The GT350 (and R) is an incredible car; gorgeous, great technology and innovations that seem to never stop; I would love to have one. However, when the Boss 302 came out and had the same story I always imagined myself having the odd pair: A Mach 1 next to a Boss 302. There will always be a special place in my mind for the Boss and I would jump at the chance to buy one some day later. I mean just think about the first time you saw the image of that blue Boss 302......

I have both the new Boss 302 {(13) in race red, as well as a Torch red Mach 1 (03) I bought new. Both cars are fantastic, but couldn't be more different. Having the Boss makes me appreciate the Mach 1 all the more, while the Boss shows 10 years of progress. I've thought about adding a '93 GT or Cobra to the mix to see the difference an additional 10 year jump back would be. It does seem that the Boss has disappeared off the radar with the advent of the new GT350, even moreso than the attention span given to the Mach 1.

Edited by falcongtho3

I was looking the other day at various FS websites and low mileage 302's are still in the mid to upper 30's. All things considered, I would say they are holding their value pretty well.

I was looking the other day at various FS websites and low mileage 302's are still in the mid to upper 30's. All things considered, I would say they are holding their value pretty well.

I agree, they went down a lot because many were selling, but it seems to have stabilized, might have even gone up a little. For kicks I looked up the 2003/2004 Mach 1, that is a steal right now if you're into those years.

I agree, they went down a lot because many were selling, but it seems to have stabilized, might have even gone up a little. For kicks I looked up the 2003/2004 Mach 1, that is a steal right now if you're into those years.

:victory: I saw that too.

Falcon; awesome to have those two. Of course they were separated by 10 years but hey, I assume they both get miles out of you. Just wait in the next 10 years - well, 3 of those years are passed but now you cover the same ground in a shorter time anyways.

Taking it a decade further, I had a '73 351C 4V Cobra Jet 4 speed 'vert and it was obviously a world away from the later cars; big, soft and heavy. The 03/04 Mach 1 is still a star and a steal for anyone looking for a good bang for the buck car. The Terminators steal most of the spotlight, but Scott Hoag and Art Hydes creation (they also did the Bullitt for '01)stand high in fun to drive. If you've never driven one, you owe it to yourself to do so. Helix knows what I am talking about.

Edited by falcongtho3