TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'07 GT Supercharger Suggestions??

bdparnes

Anyone have any recommendations on what supercharger I should buy for my car ('07 GT)? I saw Ford Racing has one that can get the car up to 500hp, and then I've looked at a few Vortech ones, but I'm not really sure what to go with... Or if I should just leave it alone for warranty reasons, lol.

Thanks!

The FRPP boost and big boost kits are Whipple superchargers and are very good. The 400 hp version is the same as the 500 but has a different pulley to keep the boost down to 5-6 psi and doesn't come with the inter-cooler. MMFF did an article about the installation of the small boost version in this months magazine. That's the blower I'm going with when I take the plunge.

Whipple Mustang supercharger link

Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords article

• 2 months later...
Anyone have any recommendations on what supercharger I should buy for my car ('07 GT)? I saw Ford Racing has one that can get the car up to 500hp, and then I've looked at a few Vortech ones, but I'm not really sure what to go with... Or if I should just leave it alone for warranty reasons, lol.

Thanks!

Depends on where in the power band your looking to make your power. I chose the Vortech HO kit due to mine being a street car running around on stock tires. I wanted to be able to launch it pretty hard still from light to light. The Vortech allows me to do that because like mentioned above, the power comes on with the RPM's unlike a Kenne Bell style where you have max boost as soon as you touch the gas. My set-up was tuned by Bob Kurgan back when I lived in Illinois, it made 430hp on the 91 octane tune, 453 hp on the 93 octane tune, and he also created a 100 octane tune that we didnt pull on the dyno because I only had 93 octane in the tank. Now that I moved here to California I almost wish I would have gone the Kenne Bell route for the low end grunt when playing in the mountains. There are some nice curvy rodes here that when I cruise them my car is just started to boost and rock as im coming up to a curve causing me to get off the throttle. If I had the low end tourqe it would be a different ballgame. My combo is good for 11 second et's and still pulls 28mpg highway with the cruise, hand calculated (I never trust the digital ones). I also cut a 1.74 60' on the stock tires with only Steeda lower control arms. Heres a pic of mine ..

dcp_3680s.jpg

I'm drooling over here.

Whew - maybe next year.

I can vouch for the instant boost of a KB. The red Shelby in my pic above is BadBoy's. He's got about 700 at the wheels - and when I drove it - man - I mean the power is RIGHT NOW, daddy. :headspin:

I'm drooling over here.

Whew - maybe next year.

I can vouch for the instant boost of a KB. The red Shelby in my pic above is BadBoy's. He's got about 700 at the wheels - and when I drove it - man - I mean the power is RIGHT NOW, daddy. :headspin:

What did you pay for the Vortech?

I've got Stage III Comp Cams.

Love 'em.

Above 3500 rpms - oh, Daddy!!

My tuner says that with the cams, he can get me a safe 500 rwhp with a blower.

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the Vortech.

500 HP at the flywheel for a 3 V 4.6 is living on the ragged edge of internal failure, the stock rods will not live for long, they just can't take the forces the pistons create on the return stroke.

I don't know your complete setup, maybe you have some aftermarket rods already, don't forget there is a 12% loss through the drivetrain so you need about 560 at the flywheel to get 500 RWHP.

500 HP at the flywheel for a 3 V 4.6 is living on the ragged edge of internal failure, the stock rods will not live for long, they just can't take the forces the pistons create on the return stroke.

I don't know your complete setup, maybe you have some aftermarket rods already, don't forget there is a 12% loss through the drivetrain so you need about 560 at the flywheel to get 500 RWHP.

He is correct on the stock bottom end being the weakpoint. 500 at the wheels should really not be a problem considering one of my first pulls with the Vortech supplied tune was 470 at the wheel BEFORE tweaking. Needless to say it was backed down to whats considered safe at 450, but the Vortech is a really nice kit. Turn the key and you barely notice the whistle, drives completely stock until you hammer the gas, then it pulls like a freight train ......

I'd be very happy with 450 rwhp. I've got 330 now and it's very strong.

I need to be conservative as I drive the car everyday.

Yes ours is a daily driver as well. 450 is very nice. The difference between 330 and 450 will blow your mind (not sure if you have ever driven anything putting that hp to the ground). I would love to keep mine at that HP, but drop about 1000lbs ... :happy feet:

I've driven Orf's stock Shelby 500 - and I've driven BadBoy's KB equipped Shelby (700 at the wheels!) And ridden in Snoop's tuned Shelby - (560 at the wheels). BadBoy's is insane. He needs slicks! Throttle response, though, is instantaneous. (in any gear - we were doing 50 in 3rd gear and he told me to punch it....sideways) :hysterical2:

I'm going to talk to Fastlane Motorsports tomorrow and see what they say about blowers. I like the Whipple's looks and credentials (Ford GT blowers). And - with my cams, I'm weak on the bottom end. A twin screw might solve that.

I concur with everything MissyandRob2005 say about their vortech. I have the Shelby branded Paxton Novi 1200 with the Shelby GTs (FRPP) X-pipeamd mufflers. On California's 91 Octane summer blend and 95 degrees the car pulled 441 at the wheels and 399 Tq. The bottom end boost from the Kenne Bell or others might have been my choice if I wasn't trying to keep everything in the family. MissyandRob's description, "Turn the key and you barely notice the whistle, drives completely stock until you hammer the gas, then it pulls like a freight train," is a very common and completely accurate statement. I think I would have to find a very lonely road to see where the engine runs out of steam.

Edit: I also agree it is time to start shedding weight. There is alot of talk on the Shelby Forum about Coast Driveline's driveshaft that is supposed to be good for 22 pounds and increased RWHP.

I concur with everything MissyandRob2005 say about their vortech. I have the Shelby branded Paxton Novi 1200 with the Shelby GTs (FRPP) X-pipeamd mufflers. On California's 91 Octane summer blend and 95 degrees the car pulled 441 at the wheels and 399 Tq. The bottom end boost from the Kenne Bell or others might have been my choice if I wasn't trying to keep everything in the family. MissyandRob's description, "Turn the key and you barely notice the whistle, drives completely stock until you hammer the gas, then it pulls like a freight train," is a very common and completely accurate statement. I think I would have to find a very lonely road to see where the engine runs out of steam.

Edit: I also agree it is time to start shedding weight. There is alot of talk on the Shelby Forum about Coast Driveline's driveshaft that is supposed to be good for 22 pounds and increased RWHP.

There are a few ways to shed some weight, rims being a major one. Also seats, driveshaft, hood, and my dead lazy @ss shedding a few pounds :hysterical2:

As somebody mentioned at the first of the post - it depends on your application. If you have 4.10 gears and will be doing high RPM dump launches and will be driving in 3500+ range, cams and a centrifugal blower is a good solution.

I will be mainly doing just street driving and I don't care about the ultimate HP but rather the torque available at low rpms. This equates to acceleration when you just mash on the throttle below 2000 rpm. I have 18" wheels and a 3.73 so the added torque is just what the doctor ordered (as opposed to 17s and a 4.10 gear ratio). The twin screws deliver that beautifully.

I have ridden in a GT500 with the 3.4 Whipple upgrade and although the car is making very close to 700 hp at the wheels, it is still very usable and streetable. The torque is available instantly and the acceleration is awesome.

For me, on a street car, the twin screw superchargers are great mod and I will be installing one very soon.

Archived