TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wilwood Rotors Discontinued

So after some great track time in 2015, it seems I warped one of my front rotors on my '13 SS. I have the 14" Wilwood rotors on the front, using the BP-20 compound brake pads. I spoke with Wilwood sales rep and he told me the rotors that SAI put on my SS have been discontinued because people are going away from the zinc coated rotors. He gave me the part number for a replaceable rotor. Here are the new part numbers he gave me:

Old front: 160-8396 and 160-8397

New front: 160-8398 and 160-8399

Old rear: 160-8400 and 160-8401

New rear: 160-8403 and 160-8403

The new rotors have a more pure type of iron and carbon, and are only slotted NOT drilled. Sales rep says they will build up more heat than the old parts, and will wear out the BP-20 pads more often, but is a better product and will last longer, less likely to warp than the slotted/drilled rotors. I ordered a set of the new front rotors from Summit Racing, cost of $264 each and some new pads, $100 for the front set.

I will update the thread once I get them installed and tested out.

• 2 months later...

Wow, other than the new rotors lasting longer I don't see how the new slotted rotors are better than the older slotted/drilled rotors, especially at dissipating heat.

The new rotors have a more pure type of iron and carbon, and are only slotted NOT drilled. Sales rep says they will build up more heat than the old parts, and will wear out the BP-20 pads more often, but is a better product and will last longer, less likely to warp than the slotted/drilled rotors. I ordered a set of the new front rotors from Summit Racing, cost of $264 each and some new pads, $100 for the front set.

I will update the thread once I get them installed and tested out.

I was told by a guy who tracks his car almost weekly never put drilled rotors on your car. They will cool down unevenly and warp. He also said never use your parking brake after a few laps on the track. That will also cause the rotors to warp.

I don't know if that is true but I have followed his advice and have never had a problem.

• 4 months later...

Thank you for the heads up on the Wilwood rotors f2! Agree that drilled rotors are not great for track day.

When I called Wilwood to confirm the replacement rotors for my 2012 SS Wilwood kits, they suggested the following directional vane rotors:

front 16-8398/99

rear 160-12961/62

These are carbon iron, silver cadmium plated. I will replace the Wilwood street pads with Raybestos ST-43.

• 4 months later...

Track Day

Happy New Year!

The replacement Wilwood Rotor part numbers provided by f2redpot in January of 2016 are accurate; I received inaccurate part numbers when I called Wilwood. Lesson learned; always call twice to make sure you have the correct part numbers before ordering. I also installed BP-20 pads for a street-track hybrid, and will save the ST-43's for later this year when I have my new scissor lift installed to make wheel and pad swaps a bit easier for track day. By the time I had the new rotors and pads installed, 2016 track season ended so I am ready for spring!

I read some hilarious stories of the noise created by ST-43s when cold in some other forums, including one car being black flagged from a track day. A friend also reported rotor problems with his 2008 SS Baer package; drilled and slotted looks good but doesn't appear to last.

Cheers and thanks!

Edited by jaydub2k