TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Road n track 2016 Camaro v 2016 mustang gt

DubbsFaris

I notice no one has brought this up, but the new Camaro seems to kick the new mustang square in the mouth performance wise in every category.

I was also surprised to see a couple things stand out-

Mileage was really good, fuel capacity on them is 18+ gallons meaning a near 600 mile range

But the shocker for me was the top speed- 175+ on a Camaro SS? Wow!

I'm not a fan of the new gen Camaro, but this makes me very very happy. Ford will have no choice but to answer the challenge by 2018, or have the mustang be a far inferior option. I don't see them allowing that.

I'm not a fan of the 2010-15 Camaro either, but I think they have quite the machine starting in 2016. The new chassis is quite a bit lighter and has a lot more going for it. It is now lighter than the Mustang. This is a battle which is creating some amazing machinery. Chrysler is now in a polar opposite dimension with the Challenger. It sure would be nice to see them get back in the game with a competitive pony car that's not two tons of fun.

I think the present aluminum technology going on now in the F-150 is going to make a big difference in a future Mustang’s weight and performance. The Camaro in that article’s weight was slightly less than the Mustangs (50 pounds). Also Road and Track wanted to know how a car (Mustang) that felt so right a year ago now felt “loose and wallowy” and this one was slightly slower than other road tests I seen too. Maybe their Mustang test car was not up to the comparison?

I notice no one has brought this up, but the new Camaro seems to kick the new mustang square in the mouth performance wise in every category.

I was also surprised to see a couple things stand out-

Mileage was really good, fuel capacity on them is 18+ gallons meaning a near 600 mile range

But the shocker for me was the top speed- 175+ on a Camaro SS? Wow!

I'm not a fan of the new gen Camaro, but this makes me very very happy. Ford will have no choice but to answer the challenge by 2018, or have the mustang be a far inferior option. I don't see them allowing that.

Unless I was driving out west, my butt and bladder wouldn't hold up to a 600 mile non-stop drive (LOL). I've gotten a couple of 300+ miles on the road out of a tank of gas and that's enough for me and had my eyeballs turning yellow. :whistling:

Gotta hand it to GM for lightening the 2016 Camaro 200 lbs and 450HP for $37k base price. (BTW, Mustang GT base price is $32k.) The only part I don't like about it is the Toyota corolla/camry looking front end.

I agree the grill sux but the int is even worse IMO.....Kudos to GM though for the weight loss and performance.

I agree... I said it before,

I don't care how fast it is, it will never outrun its ugliness.....

I could say that about 2010 and later Mustangs, as well. The big gloopy mouth on the front, the Camaro-imitator hump over the rear wheels, the fancy-shmancy back-end/taillight treatment was an unwelcome departure from a clean, classic look, my view. Thank goodness I don't have to look at them when I drive (although they do represent a subliminal drag on the total experience, I'm sure).

2299633454_82dd9fa071_o.jpg

2227132656_e2e3280efc_o.jpg

The Mustang GT lost this battle to the Camaro SS unfortunately; the Camaro is a very powerful and usable car though. However, there is some peace knowing that the Shelby still tops the highest model Camaro I suppose. Too bad there is still that nasty monster of a Corvette standing in its way.

Speaking of which, anyone hear what happened to the Viper for 2017?.... oops, :offtopic:

The Mustang GT lost this battle to the Camaro SS unfortunately; the Camaro is a very powerful and usable car though. However, there is some peace knowing that the Shelby still tops the highest model Camaro I suppose. Too bad there is still that nasty monster of a Corvette standing in its way.

Speaking of which, anyone hear what happened to the Viper for 2017?.... oops, :offtopic:

No I didn't hear what happened to the 17 Viper?....hope to hell they ain't discontinuing the Viper...I know the sales are not good but that's got a lot to do with the prices they went

put on these cars...I'd hate to see any of the American super cars and muscle cars discontinued...it would be a very sad day IMO.

I like the looks better then the 5th gen. It's got a corvette engine with tri Y headers exhaust ....corvette has no room. ATS-V chassis. 8 speed fast shifting auto if you like autos.mag ride ,Apple radio and more. Not a bad car and it runs 12.1 1/4 and 3.9 to 60. Thats faster then a 350 non R.

Edited by mach 1 1970

Cancelled 16 GT350 was held in Flatrock for over two months. Arrived with paint quality issues. Bummer. Plus Mike was right 1/4 12.5 and 4.3 to 60 had me concerned. I know it's not Meant for the drag strip. Also the Recaros were much tighter then my 13 boss 302 and too tight for me. Deal breaker. I'm only 6'5"and 205 lbs. Like I said the 13 Boss and 13 Gt500 Recaros fit me perfect. I waited over 5 months on this car @ MSRP.

I'll wait to see if and when Ford brings back the GT500. If GM brings out the Zl1 or Z/28 with this new chassis they will have to and that's great for us Shelby / Ford fans. Don't yah think ?

Edited by mach 1 1970

Actually, the 350 does beat the vette in a few stats

Yup, cover article for the recent Car and Driver says: Mustang beats Vette. That was an overall opinion, the Vette was a little faster and lighter, but really, the difference between the numbers is irrelevant, since nobody is going to get either to their absolute limits when driving on the road.

Yup, cover article for the recent Car and Driver says: Mustang beats Vette. That was an overall opinion, the Vette was a little faster and lighter, but really, the difference between the numbers is irrelevant, since nobody is going to get either to their absolute limits when driving on the road.

You guys must be talking about the Stingray and not the Z06?

You guys must be talking about the Stingray and not the Z06?

It's the Feb 2016 issue. Article says it's the Corvette Stingray Z51 and the Shelby GT350. Article doesn't say, but I'm guessing the '16 models of each. It also said that it got the GT350 with the track package, and not the R, for the on-road stuff, so the comparisons are for the people like us, buying them and driving them MOSTLY on the street. Not racing them at tracks.

Couldn't find an online link to the article.

It's the Feb 2016 issue. Article says it's the Corvette Stingray Z51 and the Shelby GT350. Article doesn't say, but I'm guessing the '16 models of each. It also said that it got the GT350 with the track package, and not the R, for the on-road stuff, so the comparisons are for the people like us, buying them and driving them MOSTLY on the street. Not racing them at tracks.

Couldn't find an online link to the article.

Gotcha Hawk thought so.

I'm sure it is just a base Corvette, not a Z06.

Still don't know why they haven't released the Ring time yet for the C7 Z06...don't think they were overly pleased with the times over the old ZR1 or they would have released

the time by now..JMO!!

FYI, the Z06 costs $30k more and only 124HP over the GT350, supercharged and 1 liter more displacement. GT350: over 800+HP supercharged. :thumbsup:

FYI... who was comparing price?...or engine size?...was just asking what Vette it was compared to.... was pretty sure it wasn't the Z06 is all...... :thumbsup:

Still don't know why they haven't released the Ring time yet for the C7 Z06...don't think they were overly pleased with the times over the old ZR1 or they would have released

the time by now..JMO!!

I agree, but I have heard from some GM friends that overheating issues kept times slower than expected, and since it didn't beat the ZR1 times, like they expected with better aero, they were going back to the garage and improve the cooling systems.

Edited by mikeljgt500kr

FYI... who was comparing price?...or engine size?...was just asking what Vette it was compared to.... was pretty sure it wasn't the Z06 is all...... :thumbsup:

Is the difference between the Stingray they tested and the Z06 just the engine, or are there other differences?