TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheel and tire sizes on 65/66 R models

I see original R-models with some oversize wheel/tire combos. Some older photos look like the stance of the car has been altered - higher up front than out back. Others seem to be more "leveled" yet still with fat tires. The body work doesn't appear to be modified, so what gives? What's the biggest 15 inch diameter wheel/tire combo you can stuff under the fenders without major rolling or pulling of the fenders? Narrowed axles? Some expert opinions?

Just curious!

Sam

The first car's rear quarters WERE cut (by hand) to clear the tires/wheels. That makes the car look more jacked up in the rear. On my clone, I was running Torque Thrust D (15x7) with 225/60 tires in the rear. I felt that fitment was perfect with that particular 3.75" backspacing. Going any bigger may have worked, but it would have been risky. Up front, I did 215/60s.

Original "R" models ran the American Racing torque thrust that were magnesium - they were a 15" x 7" with a 1 - 1/4" negative offset. Some were fitted with 15" x 7" with a 1 - 3/4" negative offset on the front in order to widen the front track in order to compensate for the push being caused by using the Detroit Locker differential. They also used 15"x8" wide wheels on the rear on some of the R models at some tracks with 7.00 x 15 tires. The original magnesium wheels had "Team Shelby", "Team Mustang", and/or "Team Cougar" stamped on the backside of the wheel. Craig Connelly of Paradise Wheels in Santee, California used to have and sell sets of them. The Goodyear tires are still being reproduced and are required in some of the "vintage" venues such as VARA, CSRG, and SOVERN. You get the dimensions and match up to a current metric modern tire size. I sold the two sets that I had back in 1999.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice!!! Enjoy.

Love the Terlingua rabbit as well :cool:

David

Thanks David!

It's been a long 4 months of preparation - tweaks to the engine, removing and reinstalling transmission, (new flywheel), competition front springs, roll cage install, seats, electric, etc., etc., etc., and by the end of this week I expect we'll be ready for the SVRA race at Sebring! After borrowing a set of wheels and tires from a friend of mine's GT350, it turns out my wheels were just fine, all it took was replacing the street tires with some Goodyear Blue Dot 6.0 x 15 racing slicks! The look and feel are exactly what we were going for!

IMG_0730_zpsrteqgqpw.jpg

Sitting pretty!

Sam

Sam Congrat`s on your new ride , I love it. Any back ground on the car?

The story that I've gathered so far: Well, it is a CLONE, but the previous owner spent time and money on it to make it as close to the real deal as possible. It appears to have started life as a San Jose built, 2-bbl, 289. It made it's way to Texas, then ended up in Connecticut, where it was restored and converted to a street R-clone. The previous owner was SCCA, but never raced the car, (he had other cars he raced), though it appears he may have been headed that way. He decided to retire from racing and sold the car to a guy in Florida, who "finished" the car and put it up on Ebay, where I grabbed it. (I use the term "finished" quite loosely - there were some issues that needed correcting/fixing!)

Lucky for me, I have a buddy nearby who owns and races a 65' GT350, and I've been using his car as the basis for bringing mine up to vintage race specs.

As she sits now, she has a slightly modified 302, (Bored 30 over to a 306), with GT40 heads, mild Comp cam, Edlebrock intake topped with a Holley carb. Engine has about 4K miles on it since rebuild and she's good for about 300-350 hp and 6500 rpm tops, which gives me some room to play with in the future. 4-speed, wide ratio Toploader with 3.50 rearend gears. Heavy springs front and back with correct Koni shocks, period front discs and drum rears, fuel cell, full roll cage, Kirkey seats and other goodies. Will be putting in a big-block radiator this week as the last major hurdle before her track debut next weekend.

I'm in class "P" for poor, so I try to use/re-purpose items I find in my garage or out on shopping trips! (As an example, my oil catch can is a camping fuel bottle!) She's a solid car with a few rough spots, but she's mine, and I hope I can keep her, and me, in one piece!

Sam

Edited by 2007_Shelby_GT

Congratulations Sam! Oh your not poor, poor is not being able to fix up/mod a car, yet have to drive it as a DD! LOL Oh, I do not regret it as a DD one bit! Really nice car you have there. I hope to get mine on the track some day and share some time with my boy, who is 11 yrs old now. As a DD, I use the Torque Thrust D's and run 215/60/15 all the way around. On hard dips and turning hard while going up a driveway, my front tires rub. I do have a regular street setup for my suspension, but imagine having a negative camber or caster, I cannot remember which one, would help solve rub issues on a track setup. Anyways, hope to bump fenders on the track with you one day. LOL Make sure you post pictures of your experiences for us all to enjoy! CONGRATS again! Looks sweet!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Survived Sebring, but the clutch finally called it quits in the last few laps of the last race at Amelia! (I was able to limp to the finish and still drive onto the trailer!)

We had a lot of fun and managed to stay out of last place!

Sam

HEY, YOU FINISHED AND HAD FUN! WHAT CLUTCH AND TRANNY SET-UP DO YOU HAVE?

When I got the car it had a vibration issue - pulled the transmission, (4-speed Toploader, wide ratio), and found the Spec aluminum flywheel was wrong counterweight. We replaced it with a Ford Racing steel flywheel, but kept the Spec clutch - looking back, we should've gone ahead and replaced that too, but time/money was short. Just received a new McLeod street/strip clutch and I'll run that until I get enough money for something better. It's a tough choice when you have a street legal race car - race clutches (like Tilton) are best, but are expensive and aren't very street friendly! I discussed it with my friend who races his GT350 and he runs a street/strip clutch without issues, so we'll give it a shot. Knowing that my plan is to only race a few times a year, I think we'll be OK and hopefully I can avoid dipping into my "slush fund"!

I'd love to get out to the Left coast and run some of the tracks there - maybe next year!

Sam

post-12584-0-98261700-1459908987_thumb.jpgpost-12584-0-21746100-1459909392_thumb.jpg

Hi, my name is Fred Hilbert and I am the owner of SFM5R094 (42 years) the first R-Model sold in 1965. I raced it in SCCA Regional and National races in the 1970-80 and still in some Vintage races today. The orignal wheels are American Racing Magnesium 15x7. The tires that I used then were Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Special. Size Front 5.25x9.50x15 and Rear 6.00x10x15. The front and rear fenders on R-Models were radius out for the larger wheels and tires. The front were 25 inches tall and the rear 26 inches tall. The rule of thumb used was the rear were 1 inch taller and wider than the front. Weight balance was 51% front, 49% rear and 50% left to right and a total weight of 2550 pounds. SFM5R094 is Original and unrestored, just as I raced back in the 1970-80's. Currently due to fact the Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Specials are no longer avaiable I am using Hoosier Race Tire (44285HOTD) 25.5x8.5x15 slicks and the orignal American Racing Magnesium wheels. These tires are for track use only, after all SFM5R094 is not street leagal and is for racing only and has been for 50 years.

Fred Hilbert

attachicon.gif11-1c.JPGattachicon.gifTexChalen84.jpg

Hi, my name is Fred Hilbert and I am the owner of SFM5R094 (42 years) the first R-Model sold in 1965. I raced it in SCCA Regional and National races in the 1970-80 and still in some Vintage races today. The orignal wheels are American Racing Magnesium 15x7. The tires that I used then were Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Special. Size Front 5.25x9.50x15 and Rear 6.00x10x15. The front and rear fenders on R-Models were radius out for the larger wheels and tires. The front were 25 inches tall and the rear 26 inches tall. The rule of thumb used was the rear were 1 inch taller and wider than the front. Weight balance was 51% front, 49% rear and 50% left to right and a total weight of 2550 pounds. SFM5R094 is Original and unrestored, just as I raced back in the 1970-80's. Currently due to fact the Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Specials are no longer avaiable I am using Hoosier Race Tire (44285HOTD) 25.5x8.5x15 slicks and the orignal American Racing Magnesium wheels. These tires are for track use only, after all SFM5R094 is not street leagal and is for racing only and has been for 50 years.

Fred Hilbert

Fred - that's fantastic information! Thanks so much! I had the pleasure of meeting Peter Brock and Chuck Cantwell at Amelia Concours last year, and then speaking with them again at the same event this past month and got some information from them, but this is much more detailed! My buddy, Darek Stennes, has GT350 5S424, which was converted to R-model specs back in the late 60's or early 70's. He and his father, Gordon Stennes, were and still are active vintage racing that car. I've been using that car as a model for my clone and that's how I finally got the wheel and tire combo that looks and works for my set up. I'm running the same as he is - Goodyear 6.0 x 15 slicks on 7 X 15 American Racing reproduction Torque Thrust wheels.

Hope I get to see you and your Shelby some day!

Thanks again!

Sam