TEAM SHELBY FORUM

fuel requirement

The 4.6 runs on unleaded. Super is not needed. At least that is the case in my GT/CS. Does anyone that has a SGT agree ?

The SGT I just sold had a sticker inside the gas cap stating 91+ octane.

It looked like a sticker that was added on. So I am assuming either SAI or Ford is putting them on because of the mods being done at SAI. I didn't think only adding 19 HP would require that but that is what the label said inside the fuel door lid.

All the other GT Mustangs with the 4.6L only requires regular unleaded.

The SGT I just sold had a sticker inside the gas cap stating 91+ octane.

It looked like a sticker that was added on. So I am assuming either SAI or Ford is putting them on because of the mods being done at SAI. I didn't think only adding 19 HP would require that but that is what the label said inside the fuel door lid.

All the other GT Mustangs with the 4.6L only requires regular unleaded.

Mastermech...............whatcha runnin in the tank boy?

• 1 month later...
I believe the reason for the 91 octane is the different tuning chip that comes with the FRPP package. It is not the added horse power but rather the advanced timing that requires the higher octane to resist detonation.

You are correct, the shelby gt needs a minimal octane of 91 due to the tune downloaded on the ecm if not damage to the engine due to detonation will result and void the warranty. This info is in the shelby booklet that comes with the shelby gt

Archived