TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Excessive wheel, steering wheel vibration

kmagilligan

Good morning. My first post as a Shelby owner...

I noticed some excessive vibration occurring while taking a highway turn at moderate speed...80-90 mph. I sometimes notice a little steering wheel vibes at regular cruising speeds 40-60...could it be just a simple wheel balancing issue or something suspension related? I've had the car a month and use to driving a full size pickup so I expect a little different ride but not like this.

Thanks!

Get a good tire pressure gauge, one that is accurate to 0.1psi. The front tires need to be exactly equal in pressure, or you will notice it on this car. Another point is, my car sits sometimes for two weeks, and I get a shimmy between 40-60, for the first 30 mins of driving it. I've had the tires balanced to a within a 0.25 GRAMS, and the only explanation are flat spots from sitting. After 30 or so mins, the car is smooth.

Get a good tire pressure gauge, one that is accurate to 0.1psi. The front tires need to be exactly equal in pressure, or you will notice it on this car. Another point is, my car sits sometimes for two weeks, and I get a shimmy between 40-60, for the first 30 mins of driving it. I've had the tires balanced to a within a 0.25 GRAMS, and the only explanation are flat spots from sitting. After 30 or so mins, the car is smooth.

I had the same issue on my driver and an alignment fixed it.

• 4 weeks later...

Took car to a trusted mechanic at the dealership (he serviced the car for previous owner or I would have taken it to a specialty shop) and he checked out the suspension on the lift and took it for a ride and could not duplicate the vibration. They balanced the wheels and had it for a good hour or so and I visually saw him under the car trying to find loose bolts/bushings etc so I doubt he was pulling my chain. So far, I have yet to feel that same harshness so I'm chalking it up to a bad stretch of road that I may not have been paying close attention to. Love this damn car but seriously need to get more traction in the rear...Springs, LCA's, panhard bar...what else besides drag radials?

Archived