TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Original Front Struts - What are they from FRPP?

Does anyone know what the original FRPP Struts that were put in the SGTs by SAI?

I'm wondering if I should replace them after 8 years and 30k miles before I go to the annual track weekend in January.

Should I be considering an upgrade of any kind at this point?

I found this old thread about the rear shocks for the SGT...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/79676-sgt-rear-shocks/?hl=shocks

Any thoughts or advise?

Thanks,

Andy.

They are Ford Racing / MultiMatic struts.

Edit - There is some additional information regarding the system installed on the SGTs here - http://www.speedconcepts.net/product_info.php?products_id=685

If they are not leaking and feel as firm as ever, if it were me, I would not replace them.

Edited by ilmor

At 30k, you shouldn't have to replace anything in the suspension. First things to go for me were the strut mounts, ball joints, end links, and tie rods @ 50K. That's with a number of track events too. The last event tipped me off on the ball joints as the car was handling like crap.

At 30k, you shouldn't have to replace anything in the suspension. First things to go for me were the strut mounts, ball joints, end links, and tie rods @ 50K. That's with a number of track events too. The last event tipped me off on the ball joints as the car was handling like crap.

Thanks Kurgan.

I was thinking about installing Adjustible Camber plates for my January track weekend. Any thoughts on which ones out there are best? That would take care of the strut mounts on your list, correct?

Andy

Thanks Kurgan.

I was thinking about installing Adjustible Camber plates for my January track weekend. Any thoughts on which ones out there are best? That would take care of the strut mounts on your list, correct?

Andy

I know the Shelby (maximum motorsports) caster camber plates use half of the existing srtut mount (the rubber lower half that seats the spring) So I would replace them if I was gonna go with new CC plates. Upgrade to the newer GT500 version.

I know the Shelby (maximum motorsports) caster camber plates use half of the existing srtut mount (the rubber lower half that seats the spring) So I would replace them if I was gonna go with new CC plates. Upgrade to the newer GT500 version.

Ahh....Do it right the first time!!

So if I get what you are saying, then use the GT500 rubber strut mount along with the Shelby CC plates, right?

Also - how do you like the Steeda Alum Drive shaft? Was it worth the upgrade?

Thanks,

Andy.

Ahh....Do it right the first time!!

So if I get what you are saying, then use the GT500 rubber strut mount along with the Shelby CC plates, right?

Also - how do you like the Steeda Alum Drive shaft? Was it worth the upgrade?

Thanks,

Andy.

Yes, that's what I was saying, your going to have it all apart anyway. The Driveshaft is actually an Axle exchange DS that I purchased from Steeda. It was before they started making their own. I just need to change my sig. And the 1 piece DS I think is a big upgrade. I could not stand the OEM 2 piece and all the lugging that it created, especially with cams. Not to mention the weight difference. I went with the axle exchange because it doesn't use a flange adapter like most come with, instead they come with a new pinion flange. I did the install myself it was pretty easy and straight forward. I read too many stories/reviews of people having issues (vibrations) with the flange adapter with other brands and I guess that is what made the decision for me.

Jeff

Edited by MyBlueHeaven

• 2 years later...

Bringing this thread back to life with a need for some verification.  Can someone in the know please confirm these Ford racing struts and shocks are the same ones that came in the FR3 kit on our cars.  I know the FR3 kit shows M-18000-A as the shock/strut, as does the AM web page where it shows the Manufacturer part number (MPN#), but I zoomed in on the pic of the shocks, and the sticker on it shows M-18000-AR1. Not sure if that's the same thing, or FR just lists it as -A.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-shockstrut-0514gtv6.html

It's time to replace them and I want to stay with the originals.

Thanks for any and all help trying to clarify.

Jeff

The best place to compare without calling AM directly is the Ford Performance Parts Catalog you can download.

The M-18000-A are the non-adjustable shocks that our SGTs came with in 2007 / 2008. Last year I went with all new bushings kit, M-18000-C (FULLY ADJUSTIBLE SHOCKS & STRUTS), GT500 Front Strut Mount Upgrades M-18183, and the GT500 Front Lower Control Arms M-3075-E.  It also turned out that when they upgraded my Front Sway bar at Shelby in Las Vegas, they used the V6 bar instead of the upgraded V8 bar.  The way we figured out was when my installer (an SVT Bench tech trainer) went to install the new front bushing, they were way too big & he confirmed that the correct bushings kit was ordered.  We pulled that bar off and he installed a much beefier Hoskins Front Sway Bar.

I have loved the M-18000-C kit...it's worth a few extra dollars to be able to fine tune any corner of the vehicle and adjust the stiffness from front to rear as needed for track duty.  You have 6 turns in or out on the top of the strut / shock, and all this is done from above and super easy to do even while at the track.  My installer set it to 1.5 turns out on the front and 2.5 turns out on the rear, and it is way stiffer than the fixed M-18000-A shocks.  I need to back it out to the full 6 turns out to see how soft it will go.

He also suggested to go full in (full hard) for one track session, then go back out (full soft @ 6 turns) to "feel" the difference that the suspension will generate, then adjust in towards hard to find the settings I like best.  I actually never did this exercise since we had very cold temps at the track we were all focused on how to get the tires to hook up more than messing with the suspension...this was all back in January in Savannah.  They actually had to clear the track from the snow 3 days prior to our private event!!

I did look at other shocks & struts and even a coil over system (Ground Control kits), but decided to go this route with all FRPP parts, and I have really been happy with the results.

Hope that helps.  Andy.

1 hour ago, AndyGJ said:

The best place to compare without calling AM directly is the Ford Performance Parts Catalog you can download.

The M-18000-A are the non-adjustable shocks that our SGTs came with in 2007 / 2008. Last year I went with all new bushings kit, M-18000-C (FULLY ADJUSTIBLE SHOCKS & STRUTS), GT500 Front Strut Mount Upgrades M-18183, and the GT500 Front Lower Control Arms M-3075-E.  It also turned out that when they upgraded my Front Sway bar at Shelby in Las Vegas, they used the V6 bar instead of the upgraded V8 bar.  The way we figured out was when my installer (an SVT Bench tech trainer) went to install the new front bushing, they were way too big & he confirmed that the correct bushings kit was ordered.  We pulled that bar off and he installed a much beefier Hoskins Front Sway Bar.

I have loved the M-18000-C kit...it's worth a few extra dollars to be able to fine tune any corner of the vehicle and adjust the stiffness from front to rear as needed for track duty.  You have 6 turns in or out on the top of the strut / shock, and all this is done from above and super easy to do even while at the track.  My installer set it to 1.5 turns out on the front and 2.5 turns out on the rear, and it is way stiffer than the fixed M-18000-A shocks.  I need to back it out to the full 6 turns out to see how soft it will go.

He also suggested to go full in (full hard) for one track session, then go back out (full soft @ 6 turns) to "feel" the difference that the suspension will generate, then adjust in towards hard to find the settings I like best.  I actually never did this exercise since we had very cold temps at the track we were all focused on how to get the tires to hook up more than messing with the suspension...this was all back in January in Savannah.  They actually had to clear the track from the snow 3 days prior to our private event!!

I did look at other shocks & struts and even a coil over system (Ground Control kits), but decided to go this route with all FRPP parts, and I have really been happy with the results.

Hope that helps.  Andy.

Thanks Andy, I did think about going with the adjustable kit -C's, but I didn't mind the ride / feel of the originals, so it makes it hard for me to justify the $250 difference when I would probably set them to something similar to the -A's.  Really appreciate the info provided though. I'll mull it over before I order them.

If you take you SGT to the track, then you will definitely get the benefit of the added adjustability factor on the struts/shocks....it's why the Boss 302 has a similar set up from the factory.  The GT350 has the magna-ride suspension, so that is a completely adjust on the fly suspension system that I'm sure you're better versed in it than I am.

I think I spent about $2,000 last year rebuilding my suspension system with 34,000 miles on the clock....it was just the age of these upgraded bushings, etc. that are not designed to last as long as the softer stuff in regular passenger cars that the prior year I could feel it really getting loose....especially in the back end.  The after effect and even getting it firmer than ever before was I shaved about 15 seconds off my lap times at Roebling Road...from about 1:45 in 2016 & 2017 to 1:30 in 2018.  Definitely noticeable.

I was worried about wasting money where I wouldn't be able to see a benefit as a Novice driver....I've done this even 6 times each 2nd weekend in January with the same group of 20 guys, so 6 track events under my belt means I'm still far from being a pro.  I definitely was happy with all the changes and improvements.  At it's present settings, it is rougher than I like for normal street driving so I need to move it to a softer setting and see how different it feels.  If you're in the Atlanta area, you are more than welcome to come check out my set up and even take it for a spin to see what you can feel.....door's always open!

Andy.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, same FRPP springs as I didn't want to change the ride height at all.

I have not yet set the C's to the softest setting yet....been meaning to do that over the past couple of months, but just have not had the time to stop and do it.  I get the car out about once per month for a 10 - 20 mile run to keep it from sitting too long, and lately that's all I've had time for.  I'll see if I can get to it shortly and give you a report back in the next week or so.

Andy.

I know what you mean....the 1.5 turns on front and 2.5 turns on rear are definitely stiffer than the original FRPP shocks & struts...great for track but horrible for street.  I'm betting 5.5 or 6.0 are going to be pleasant and compliant for Street use...best of both worlds which is what I was after without having to get under the car so I could adjust at the track if I wanted to drive it there.  I usually trailer it from Atlanta to Savannah each year for the January Roebling Road track event with my friends.  With the original FRPP Springs, it just barely clears the load angle on the trailer lip if I use (and take) my homemade wooden ramps to cut down the angle...thus, I was very particular in my goals.

Andy.

Edited by AndyGJ

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, AndyGJ said:

If you take you SGT to the track, then you will definitely get the benefit of the added adjustability factor on the struts/shocks....it's why the Boss 302 has a similar set up from the factory.  The GT350 has the magna-ride suspension, so that is a completely adjust on the fly suspension system that I'm sure you're better versed in it than I am.

I think I spent about $2,000 last year rebuilding my suspension system with 34,000 miles on the clock....it was just the age of these upgraded bushings, etc. that are not designed to last as long as the softer stuff in regular passenger cars that the prior year I could feel it really getting loose....especially in the back end.  The after effect and even getting it firmer than ever before was I shaved about 15 seconds off my lap times at Roebling Road...from about 1:45 in 2016 & 2017 to 1:30 in 2018.  Definitely noticeable.

I was worried about wasting money where I wouldn't be able to see a benefit as a Novice driver....I've done this even 6 times each 2nd weekend in January with the same group of 20 guys, so 6 track events under my belt means I'm still far from being a pro.  I definitely was happy with all the changes and improvements.  At it's present settings, it is rougher than I like for normal street driving so I need to move it to a softer setting and see how different it feels.  If you're in the Atlanta area, you are more than welcome to come check out my set up and even take it for a spin to see what you can feel.....door's always open!

Andy.

Decided to wait and get the adjustable -C's, thanks again for the info Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got some time to play with the settings on the struts & shocks.  I moved them to 5.5 revolutions in the front, and 6.0 revolutions in the rear...remember 6 turns is the softest setting and it is adjustable in increments of 1/4 turns where you’ll get some noticeable difference according to my installer.

And the RESULTS - Wow, what a big difference.  It felt like I was driving a regular sports sedan.  At this setting, it is definitely softer that the stock non-adjustable FRPP shocks that came in our cars.  Very impressive!  Even my 15 year old son was remarking about the difference that the soft settings made.

Hope that helps!

Andy.

22 minutes ago, avidShelby said:

GREAT!  That's what I was expecting, but it's nice to hear it from someone who has first-hand knowledge.  

I appreciate you taking the time to do that.  :worship:

If you’re ever in Atlanta, then look me up and I’ll let you take it for a drive to see first hand both hard and soft settings.  Took me about 5 minutes to change all 4 from 1.5 / 2.5 to 5.5 / 6.0 set up.

Andy.

Hey guys,  thanks for posting some great info on how to set up the suspension for a less harsh ride on the Shelby GT!  :cool:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"                 :peelout:

• 4 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:39 AM, AndyGJ said:

I finally got some time to play with the settings on the struts & shocks.  I moved them to 5.5 revolutions in the front, and 6.0 revolutions in the rear...remember 6 turns is the softest setting and it is adjustable in increments of 1/4 turns where you’ll get some noticeable difference according to my installer.

And the RESULTS - Wow, what a big difference.  It felt like I was driving a regular sports sedan.  At this setting, it is definitely softer that the stock non-adjustable FRPP shocks that came in our cars.  Very impressive!  Even my 15 year old son was remarking about the difference that the soft settings made.

Hope that helps!

Andy.

Installed the C's this past weekend, set them all to 3 to start out since that's what the instructions said was a good starting point.  Gonna try the 5.5 6.0 setting you talked about to see how I like it.  Thanks again for the info Andy, your posts definitely helped me decide whether to go adjustable or non adjustable. 

8 minutes ago, MyBlueHeaven said:

Installed the C's this past weekend, set them all to 3 to start out since that's what the instructions said was a good starting point.  Gonna try the 5.5 6.0 setting you talked about to see how I like it.  Thanks again for the info Andy, your posts definitely helped me decide whether to go adjustable or non adjustable. 

Just FYI...I ran with these again at the track on Jan 5th-6th, and this time using NT01 tires.  I dialed up the settings slightly from last year and ran about 1.5 in front and 2.0 in rear.  I discovered that quarter turns (.25 of a twist) will make slight differences to help dial in....made those minimal adjustments between sessions.