TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SHELBY GT 230 Trademark Application

PatentMan

What ever happened to the Guy / Company that was building a Shelby Super Car?

Shelby Super Cars is no longer called Shelby Super Cars. A lawsuit was filed by Carroll Shelby Licensing and Carroll Shelby International against Shelby Super Cars. A settlement was reached sometime in 2012 and they are now called SSC

and they still hold the land speed record for a production car.

Back to topic.

Since Ford will be selling the Focus RS here soon...................

Exactly what I was thinking too. But I wouldn't understand why they would call the RS a GT230. If anything it should be RS whatever. But man an RS with a Shelby package, that would be one Expensive Focus.

Maybe it's for the ecoboost (2.3 Liters) or a V6 package (3.7 liter is about 230 C.I.)

Since the GT 350 and the GT 500 were not about Engine Size, I think Ford should have done GT 200 for the Eco 4 Cyl and GT 250 for the V6.

Ok, so a trademark has been filed. Nobody here knows what car it is going to be put on, so until Shelby makes an announcement the usual speculation is going to be posted. I could care less about the speculation and rumors. What I do care about is the following:

I think Carroll once said something to the effect of “the car makes the name, the name doesn’t make the car”, so whatever name they select, I hope it is on a car that can blow away whatever other cars that are in its category so it can “make a name for itself” in a positive way . Not being critical here, I am just saying that if they are going to start a whole new GT-“insert number here” designation no matter what car they put it on, then they need to make extra sure the car is capable of becoming legendary like GT-350,GT-500 because GT-230 sounds a bit odd. And, I’m not sure if they did their research on the GT-230 name because it just so happens that Echo Lawn Equipment makes A Weed Whacker called a GT-230. If they are going to stick the GT-230 name on a 4 cyl, 6 cyl or even an 8 cyl car, and it is not an absolute success and dominant car in its category that totally blows people away, then one can only imagine the jokes that will ensue. Again I say this not to be critical or funny. I am genuinely concerned about this designation and maybe it should be reconsidered.

Respectfully.

MHR1961

Well maybe Shelby will be releasing a line of weed whackers.... I bet they would get the job done in a hurry while looking fantastic!!!

Maybe they bolted a blower on a weed whacker. It's impractical and hard to handle but who cares, it's a Shelby!

I sure wish Patents didn't cost so much......I have several Inventions I need to get Patents for and Trade Marks are not cheap either.

Have you ever done a patent? You start by filing the application, then a couple of years later you will get a letter denying it based on prior art (this always happens) from the examiner. Then you start a back and forth over wording, claims and prior art. This lasts another 3 or 4 years. Meanwhile, you have a choice: Go into production without patent protection (that is what Pat Pend on things means) or wait for the patent and delay your introduction. For most things these days, the useful life of the product is over before the patent is granted.

I wrote most of my own claims on the first pass application, and let me tell you the wording of them is very specific. My words never survived because while they were understandable by a lay person they were not precise enough to survive.

Patents stopped, a long time ago, from being IP protection to being an asset in a corporate portfolio that is used as an asset when trading IP rights for cross licensing.

You need a patent attorney.

I know this because I have 6 granted patents and 2 pending applications.

Have you ever done a patent? You start by filing the application, then a couple of years later a letter denying it based on prior art (this always happens). Then you start a back and forth over wording, claims and prior art. This lasts another 3 or 4 years. Meanwhile, you have a choice: Go into production without patent protection (that is what Pat Pend on things means) or wait for the patent and delay your introduction. For most things these days, the useful life of the product is over before the patent is granted.

I wrote most of my own claims on the first pass application, and let me tell you the wording of them is very specific. My words never survived because while they were understandable by a lay person they were not precise enough to survive.

You need a patent attorney.

I know this because I have 6 granted patents and 2 pending applications.

you are so correct! I'm a Mechanical Designer by trade and we have an in house patent attorney because of what you described!

Everyone see the Shelby Turbo energy boost email?

This one:

http://www.shelbycraftbeerandbeverages.com/product/shelby-twin-turbo-energy/?age-verified=7153eacb63

I need to stock up for when I have to go through all the posts here on TS. So much information and discussion.!

Patents on "tangible" items are virtually worthless nowadays, with the Chinese copying anything and everything that they make over there for American companies most of the time anyway. :drop:

When we had the bike store, we looked into having our own custom chopper bicycles made over there. We had a design that we thought was innovative and cool. We figured if it was a hit, we would see them copied in the matter of a year or so. While we were not thinking of patenting the design, we knew all along it would have been a waste of time and money anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived