TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07 shelby gt with bad silver stripes.

1218shelby

Ok so I'm tired of changing the stripes on my poor shelby so this time they are getting painted on. It's embarrassing driving the car. This is the 3rd time they have been changed. First 2 by the dealer and 3rd time by a cheap ass vinyl car installer. I need to know how wide the original silver stripes are. Are they 10" wide? I will post pics of how bad they look once I get on computer. Thanks

If you desire you can have them painted on with a what I believe the paint shops call a hard edge. This is what I did its paint but is raised and if you run you finger along the edge You can see and feel it's raised so slightly as to keep the stock look. If you need I can try to find my paper work with the paint code, finding someone who would relinquish that info was the hardest part by far.

I just brought my 2008 convertible in last week to a trunk stripe replaced that was scratched. I brought in the complete stripe kit and told them that to replace both trunk stripes and if the trunk stripes didn't match the under stripes and rear bumper stripes they should go ahead and replace all of the stripes on the back of the car.

When they called, I couldn't believe what they told me. Apparantly they only replaced the one stripe that was scratched and it matched perfect. After eight years, they hadn't faded at all and I was quite pleased.

• 2 weeks later...

My stripes are in good shape (garaged, covered, only 5k miles) but I'm not a fan of decals. I've considered painting, but I'm concerned it will affect on the car's originality. Could the car be devalued by painting the stripes?

Just my opinion, I don’t think it will really affect the value if the stripes are painted on properly, it may actually enhance the value slightly. Most knowledgeable Shelby guys know the stripe issue on the 2007 SGTs. My 2008’s stripes still look brand new, but if they ever go bad I will probably go for painted stripes across the top.

• 6 months later...

Archived