TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Throwback Thursday 2005-2009 Ford Mustang GT Shelby Turbo Package

Larry T

I remember with my first Team Shelby packet years ago there were sales brochures for this car and one looking identical that was a Shelby supercharged you could pretty much order them ala carte with a selection of brakes suspension and performance add ons I wonder if any of these cars sold and what the numbers are if so. I also wonder if they sold any Shelby GT/SR cars. I called numerous times years ago about getting the SR for my SGT but never got any response, and nobody answering phones seemed to ever know about the package nor how to set it up.

I know that I've seen two Shelby Supercharged cars done. This one and he had a burgundy colored one previously. This one lives in Texas as I saw it this weekend. This picture was from a couple years ago however.

120_0439.jpg

I would have to dig out the old brochures (I still have them) but as I recall it was a less tame more track less street version of the Shelby GT/SC. May have not been balanced enough as my daily driver? I do recall for sure the brocure called it "a super snake package for the Shelby GT" I believe that's was Amy's quote. I didn't like the looks as much though I would have kept my hood rather then the deep draw just my personal taste. It kind of looked like a mash up of the SGT with a little Terlingua styling taste and had the FR500 wheels. I remember you could do a post title mustang GT or if you had a SGT you could get at 10% less. I kind of wondered if the SGT/SC would get a further discount as it already had the more expensive upgrade components. If they made any I would imagine the number is low. I actually called several times about 4 months ago and left messages inquiring If this package was still avalable but as when it was new no responses. I think this was during an experimental time at SAI because they also had the Shelby turbo and Shelby supercharged (not SGT ) going. I would imagine these are all low build models.

I wished I had the $ at the time as I really wanted one of those newer (to me) Shelby Turbos..

I do recall a few comments on this forum regarding the cost, as one could purchase the same turbo kit from a third party and have the kit installed somewhere else for a lesser price than what SAI was offering. However..it wouldn't have all that good SAI documentation and badging to go with it. At the time, the man himself could have signed it a few times as well prior to receiving the car..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I posted some pictures of my 2007 Shelby GT (BAMABOY), with the ONLY serialized, post-title Turbonetics Inc. Turbo kit for a 2007-2008 Shelby GT. I purchased the kit directly from the manufacturer. The car that is posted/pictured in this thread is a 2008 Mustang GT (turbo development car) modified and delivered to Shelby American at the 2009 SEMA auto show (not delivered to an individual, so not a legitimate post-title Shelby-GT). The 2009 SEMA car (CSM No. 08ST0001C) was sold some time ago by Barrett Jackson to support Carroll Shelby’s Foundation.

Turbonetics Inc., was the designer, integrator, tuner and manufacturer of the post-title turbo kit. The development of the first article (one pictured at the beginning of this thread) was by request of Carroll Shelby; we all know how fond he was of turbochargers and the fun that comes with a free ride (no technical or history lesson needed, if you’re a big fan!). Estimated cost for the post-title upgrade $22,599.00

Unfortunately, the original purchase order for the turbo kits never solidified due to issues outside the scope of this forum (had nothing to do with Turbonetics or their commitment to Carroll Shelby). Also, Carroll couldn't control the circumstances that dissolved this endeavor either.

I purchased the only Turbonetics turbo kit, expressly slated for a 2007-2008 Shelby GT post-title mod from the manufacturer and integrated it with their assistance and above all, patience. My 2007 Shelby GT with a post-title turbocharger is listed in the Shelby Registry. I can’t express how much fun this car is with a Turbo, but hopefully in the future with the Ecoboost technology, big turbo fun will be in the offerings like the Shelby GT with the turbocharged Ecoboost 4-cyl.

As a side not; my first car was a 1979 Turbocharged Mustang Cobra.

Additionally, there is a post on this forum titled; Shelby Automobiles Introduces Turbo Option for 4.6 Liter Mustangs.

Cool video ... if anyone is interested

I spent a day with this car back in 2009.

Shelby had a drag strip day for Shelby 427 package owners. They rented the Strip at LVMS and I flew in without a car. Gary Patterson asked me to drive it over to the track from Shelby. On the way, of course, I let it rip. I was seriously impressed.

Once at the track, Gary said go ahead and try it out. I peeled off 11.5 second 1/4 miles without issue. The power came on much higher in the RPM range than the S/C cars I was use to driving, so launching it was not an issue.

I was so impressed that I still want to do an SGT with a turbo some day

Archived