TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trade 2007 Shelby for 2016.....

Jopo43

I have been thinking of trading my 2007 Shelby with just 16,000 miles and all options for a 2016 Mustang

I am even looking at the ecoboost models and the GT anybody have thoughts?

Besides am I crazy.....

I just don't drive the Shelby put 1000 miles on it last year

Joe

I wouldn't trade the Shelby in for a new one. I know I would regret it later.

The question is would you drive the new car? If the answer is no then what would be the point. If the answer is yes then why can't you drive the Shelby?

I am waiting to see what 2017 brings with the new front end and hopefully a new GT500.

Personally, since it is a 2007 Shelby GT 500, I would keep it and drive it. It already has 16K Miles, and I have seen many 2007 GT 500's with less miles sell for $25K to $28K. and a nicely appointed 2015 GT Coupes go for $45K new. Enjoy the GT 500.

I have been thinking of trading my 2007 Shelby with just 16,000 miles and all options for a 2016 Mustang

Besides am I crazy.....

Joe

Are you talking about the Mustang Eco Boost and GT or the Shelby GT Eco Boost & Shelby GT?

The new Mustangs are nice! I enjoy driving my wife's 2011 GT very much and I'm sure the 2015's are even better! I believe you can't go wrong with them. I also agree with TesGt350, daily driving the 500 is an option, I drive mine daily through the summer and much happier with it. Before I drove it like that I almost sold it to buy a GT to drive daily.

Besides am I crazy.....

Joe

Keep the 07.

My wife's 2015 GT 5.0 is a very nice car and I enjoy driving it. But it's not a Shelby. What can I say? You just need to decide what you want more, but I think you'll miss the Shelby if you get rid of it.

If you don't sell the 2007 GT500, you'll never be able to complain about its lesser-advanced technology, materials, and workmanship, relative to the newest products, be they from Ford or Shelby,

If you buy the 2015 or later Mustang, be it from Ford or Shelby, you'll immediately be confident you have the advantages inherent in more-advanced technology, materials, and workmanship, until there is a sufficient further enhancement in technology, materials, and workmanship to warrant solving the same-ish new riddle.

If you don't sell the 2007 GT500, you'll always be able to denigrate all non-stick-shift drivers on the road.

If you buy and daily-drive the 2015 or later Mustang, you'll be able to choose the six-(or soon-to-be-more?)-speed select-shift automatic transmission, whose only significant shortcoming seems to be that once you've chosen that option, you can't denigrate non-stick-shift drivers any more.

If you never plan to track your daily driver, there is little to motivate either choice, other than your taste. If you do want to track your daily driver, there are numerous things to consider: the GT500 will require extensive work to overcome its basically straight-line orientation; even with such work, if you total it during a track session, the loss will likely be much less than if it were a technologically-, materially-, and workmanship-advanced newer model.

One of the poorest choices I ever made was based on an assumption that I could have just one car per driver in my household. Once I cast that misapprehension aside, life became so much simpler and more enjoyable. (Keep the GT500, buy the new Mustang).

I wouldn't trade the Shelby in for a new one. I know I would regret it later.

The question is would you drive the new car? If the answer is no then what would be the point. If the answer is yes then why can't you drive the Shelby?

I am waiting to see what 2017 brings with the new front end and hopefully a new GT500.

^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree with this totally.....that's what I'm waiting for and hopefully they will release a new Shelby GT500.

Being as it's an SVT car opposed to a Shelby American car and there are a billion of them (slight exaggeration) if you regret it you could easily replace the car (except the one -owner aspect) however since the market is relatively flooded with these cars you probably wouldn't get your money's worth out of selling however if you don't drive it and it's paid off you might not care. You could sell it and get a Shelby Eco boost with a csm number and all. Then you still have the Shelby name with newer materials and technology plus my guess is these will wind up being very limited and not sell a lot of units.

My 5 + year old 11 has 9106.6 miles.

My 2 + year old 14 has 1731.5 miles, don't drive either that much.

There is nothing Ford is offering, MY 15 or 16, that I would consider trading either for.

If you wanted to add an ecoboost or GT to your stable, keep the GT500 for weekends / cruise nights / shows, etc., that would be a good option. ..........................( just my opinion )

i am really leaning towards a 2016 ecoboost auto. i drove a stick and auto saturday really loke the auto the stick has a really wierd clutch and the auto is nice

the new model is really smooth and the independent rear suspension makes a huge difference this car can turn like the boxster i used to own. i liked the power of the ecoboost with the auto and putting it in track mode or sport mode the car moves pretty well

the interior of the car is much better

we will see what i end up with

joe

i am really leaning towards a 2016 ecoboost auto. i drove a stick and auto saturday really loke the auto the stick has a really wierd clutch and the auto is nice

the new model is really smooth and the independent rear suspension makes a huge difference this car can turn like the boxster i used to own. i liked the power of the ecoboost with the auto and putting it in track mode or sport mode the car moves pretty well

the interior of the car is much better

we will see what i end up with

joe

Good for you- and if you still like straight line performance, with just a performance tune alone the ecoboost brings 427rwtq and 12.60's in the 1/4! :thumbsup:

I would only add that I'm sure Ford has some awesomeness in store for us. The 2015-2017, I suspect, are going to be a lot like the 2005-2008 model years. This is when sales are great based upon the new style etc. Come 2018 and beyond it will be about further refinement and performance...again my opinion. I like the new cars but rather than buy early, as I did with my 2007, I think I'm going to hold back a few more iterations before I seriously consider one. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2018 GT had as much or more power and better handling than the 2016 GT350...it's just the natural roadmap of these things. Not to say you shouldn't buy! Just something that's been on the back of my mind every time I've considered it and because it's not a "need to buy" I've decided to wait a little longer and hope I'm rewarded for it! :-)

I would only add that I'm sure Ford has some awesomeness in store for us. The 2015-2017, I suspect, are going to be a lot like the 2005-2008 model years. This is when sales are great based upon the new style etc. Come 2018 and beyond it will be about further refinement and performance...again my opinion. I like the new cars but rather than buy early, as I did with my 2007, I think I'm going to hold back a few more iterations before I seriously consider one. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2018 GT had as much or more power and better handling than the 2016 GT350...it's just the natural roadmap of these things. Not to say you shouldn't buy! Just something that's been on the back of my mind every time I've considered it and because it's not a "need to buy" I've decided to wait a little longer and hope I'm rewarded for it! :-)

+1, I would agree, best to wait and see what gets sorted out and get some real objective reviews and data on the new offerings. But, I waited after 1971, thinking the government couldn't possibly screw up the rapidly increasing muscle car wars, and sometimes you are wrong about that, things can end in an instant.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived