TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas 2015. Auctions that make you go huh.......

shelbymotorsports

Wow.....that is all. My mama told me if you can't say anything nice, then say nothing at all... :drop:

Actually, that looks like a really good deal on the Camaro. Fresh engine, stick shift. Put some wheels on it and drive a decent car.

187502_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Final selling price $11,770

There's a market for a B-210 ?

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1981-DATSUN-B210-SL--187502

I saw that one on the streaming. The mind boggles on it. I think it was too early to have been a "powered by alcohol" purchase. The thing is there were two people that brought it there... Maybe there's something going on in the collector car space we don't know about.

I saw that one on the streaming. The mind boggles on it. I think it was too early to have been a "powered by alcohol" purchase. The thing is there were two people that brought it there... Maybe there's something going on in the collector car space we don't know about.

Although I like poking fun at these type of sales there always might be a "that makes sense" story attached to the purchase. Perhaps someones first new car was a beige Datsun B-210 or perhaps someone learned to drive on their grandparents beige Datsun B-210? Well then the purchase is understandable in my opinion.

But then again why would anyone take a 1984 Camaro with a zillion miles on the odometer to Barrett-Jackson? Yes I know the seller says the engine was rebuilt but is there really a market for a 1984 Camaro?

And in all reality how boring would Barrett-Jackson be if we didn't have cars like this. Lets see what today brings :)

Steve

BJ is just trying to make a buck, like usual. They don't care what gets consigned as long as it is no reserve and they get their commission, who cares? The slick looking "sunglasses at night" hypester and his long haired hippie dude friend love all cars, they all make money for them.

I wouldn’t make too much fun of the Datsuns. Pete Brock designed and raced Datsun cars back in the early 1970s and it helped pave the way for their racing and sales success in America in the 1970s and early 1980s. Yes, that is Pete Brock, the Shelby Daytona Coupe Designer and former Shelby Employee. Go look it up. He surprised a lot of people by winning with Datsuns. There are die hard Datsun Fans out there just like there are die hard Shelby fans. Love the old 240Zs myself. Lots of my high school and college buddies drove those 510s and 210s. You could dog the hell out of them and they were easy to work on.

In regard to the Datsun 210 auction car, as someone mentioned before, it was probably too early in the auction for somebody to have their beer goggles on. This particular 210 is a real 1980s time capsule and was probably bought by someone overcome with a big case of nostalgia. These cars even in excellent shape normally go for around $3k to $4k in the Datsun fan world.

So, don’t discount the old Datsuns. Pete Brock kicked ass with them. He won the SCCA C Class and the Trans Am 2.5 Liter Championship in the early 1970s with them. He has also built a Datsun called “Datzilla” that will outrun most old Shelbys and a lot of new Shelbys. Below is a video about 25 minutes long. It features some bad ass old 70’s Datsun racing video and an interview of a young Pete Brock (He is the one wearing the “groovy” scarf around his neck in a lot of the video). Plenty of mellow 70s music playing in the background too. And, for those of you who don’t like the sound of a “4 banger” just listen to the exhaust note on Pete’s cars. It is impressive. Learn and enjoy.

ps: didn't mean to high jack a thread, just thought some of the Shelby Enthusiasts might be interested in some other stuff Pete Brock did besides Shelbys.

I wouldn’t make too much fun of the Datsuns. Pete Brock designed and raced Datsun cars back in the early 1970s and it helped pave the way for their racing and sales success in America in the 1970s and early 1980s. Yes, that is Pete Brock, the Shelby Daytona Coupe Designer and former Shelby Employee. Go look it up. He surprised a lot of people by winning with Datsuns. There are die hard Datsun Fans out there just like there are die hard Shelby fans. Love the old 240Zs myself. Lots of my high school and college buddies drove those 510s and 210s. You could dog the hell out of them and they were easy to work on.

In regard to the Datsun 210 auction car, as someone mentioned before, it was probably too early in the auction for somebody to have their beer goggles on. This particular 210 is a real 1980s time capsule and was probably bought by someone overcome with a big case of nostalgia. These cars even in excellent shape normally go for around $3k to $4k in the Datsun fan world.

So, don’t discount the old Datsuns. Pete Brock kicked ass with them. He won the SCCA C Class and the Trans Am 2.5 Liter Championship in the early 1970s with them. He has also built a Datsun called “Datzilla” that will outrun most old Shelbys and a lot of new Shelbys. Below is a video about 25 minutes long. It features some bad ass old 70’s Datsun racing video and an interview of a young Pete Brock (He is the one wearing the “groovy” scarf around his neck in a lot of the video). Plenty of mellow 70s music playing in the background too. And, for those of you who don’t like the sound of a “4 banger” just listen to the exhaust note on Pete’s cars. It is impressive. Learn and enjoy.

ps: didn't mean to high jack a thread, just thought some of the Shelby Enthusiasts might be interested in some other stuff Pete Brock did besides Shelbys.

Not discounting Datsun's one bit, just this 210. If the car was a 510 that would be different. If it was a Sportster or early Z that too would be different.

But a beige colored 210 in a Collector Car Auction?

And yes BRE Enterprises was pretty cool.

Steve

Recent acquisition: 1:18 Datsun 510, number 12 of 46 made, signed by Brock and John Morton..

19105279831_f9608b9151_c.jpg

The B210s cut a wide swath through "C Sedan" in SCCA racing, as well. When I was racing my Chevy VEGA GT I put BRE springs on it.

Now, back to your regularly-scheduled derisive opinionizing.

Yes, he started with the Datsun Fairlady, an amazing car that beat the British cars of the late 60's in hillclimd and road course tracks. It was the predecessor to the 240Z, brought in first in California through McKenna Motors. One of Bob's early students using the Datsun 510 was Paul Newman.

Yes, he started with the Datsun Fairlady, an amazing car that beat the British cars of the late 60's in hillclimd and road course tracks. It was the predecessor to the 240Z, brought in first in California through McKenna Motors. One of Bob's early students using the Datsun 510 was Paul Newman.

Yep, the Fairlady's. A neighbor had one when we lived in Colorado Springs. They were pretty spartan. He was a civilian attached to the military and brought it from Guam.

Both Bob Bondurant and Peter Brock have Datsun connections.

In the 70's (77-78?) a friend of mine had a 280Z as a company car. I couldn't believe what it could do.

It is interesting.

It could mean the collector car business is good. It could mean it is in the proverbial toilet. It could mean people currently just don’t want to part with what they have. It could mean anything that people want to interpret.

Like several others on here, I was a bit surprised at some of the cars selected for auction as well as what they sold for. Whatever the reason for the unusual lots and unusual bidding, a few odd lots and one auction event does not make or break a market.

It hurt my eyes a bit too, I can appreciate all the work that went in to that Bronco/Stang. However, I used to own a 1967 GTA Fastback and I feel doing something like this to such a beautiful and classic design as the 1967 Fastback is..........well, I try to not be negative..... but it is just sort of like cutting off Christy Brinkley’s head and sticking it on Rosanne Barr’s body………

i was at the auction again this year. i sold my 67 fastback. lot 715 i got 87500. being canadian i did very well, that coverts to about 117k. i also sold a 61 mg roadster and got 27 canadian. this was the first year i promised myself i wouldn't buy anything and sit on my hands. i was overall not that impressed with the quality of the cars and felt the prices seemed low this year. and yes that mustang bronco thing is the ugliest i have seen.

It is interesting.

It could mean the collector car business is good. It could mean it is in the proverbial toilet. It could mean people currently just don’t want to part with what they have. It could mean anything that people want to interpret.

Like several others on here, I was a bit surprised at some of the cars selected for auction as well as what they sold for. Whatever the reason for the unusual lots and unusual bidding, a few odd lots and one auction event does not make or break a market.

Usually Wednesday, Thursday & Sunday are full of the Lower Dollar Cars because the Whales don't show up until Friday & Saturday. I never saw Ron Pratt before 5:00pm on Friday and he never showed up on Sunday, just like all the other Whales. If you had a CSX Cobra at the Auction, would you want it to go across the Block on Thursday or Sunday or would you want it going across the block Friday Night or Saturday Night?

Usually Wednesday, Thursday & Sunday are full of the Lower Dollar Cars because the Whales don't show up until Friday & Saturday. I never saw Ron Pratt before 5:00pm on Friday and he never showed up on Sunday, just like all the other Whales. If you had a CSX Cobra at the Auction, would you want it to go across the Block on Thursday or Sunday or would you want it going across the block Friday Night or Saturday Night?

Like I said, you can get a pretty good idea of the Barrett Jackson perceived value by when the car is slotted. Even if you have a plain jane car, if it is on (in Vegas) Thursday evening they think it will do better than a Thursday morning car. Then things go down hill. You'd no more want to be the 10th to last car on any given evening than the 10th car in the morning.

You can get a pretty good idea of when a car will run by giving 3 minutes per vehicle.

Archived