TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 Shelby GT - Steering Column ticking/binding/popping

Hi Guys,

I have been researching this topic everywhere and really cant find my specific issue. When turning at low speeds (parking, pulling out of driveways) I am hearing and slightly feeling a ticking/binding noise inside the car, from the steering column. It almost sounds like there is a bind on something mechanical inside the steering column. I talked to my mechanic and he suggested lubing the U joints under the hood on the steering shaft. I did this and it did not fix the issue.

The sound is definitely coming from the steering column inside the car, I don't think I would hear an issue from the steering linkage in the engine compartment.

I have seen a few popular threads on steering issues with the 05-08's but not this type. Any help, guidance, or info would be great I appreciate it!

In addition, Ive owned the Shelby since new, only 10k miles, no damage history and the car has been babied its entire life.

Thanks!

JC

I haven't tried lifting the car and turning, but I would guess there would be no noise - When I turn the wheel on a rough concrete driveway the clicking/binding sound is worse vs. when I turn the wheels on the smooth finished surfaced of my garage. It is for sure more prevalent under duress.

I looked at the thread you posted. Not sure if this is a similar problem.

Thank you though

I haven't tried lifting the car and turning, but I would guess there would be no noise - When I turn the wheel on a rough concrete driveway the clicking/binding sound is worse vs. when I turn the wheels on the smooth finished surfaced of my garage. It is for sure more prevalent under duress.

I looked at the thread you posted. Not sure if this is a similar problem.

Thank you though

You're welcome. Hopefully someone will chime in here that knows a lot more than me!!!

Does this happen even if both front wheels are off the ground?

You're welcome. Hopefully someone will chime in here that knows a lot more than me!!!

I think you gave him a lot to start with.... even if you jack up one side at a time and have someone underneath listening while the wheel is turned. Sound can travel and cause something else to vibrate. Rule out the simple stuff first before you pull the column apart!

With that aside Just because I chimed in doesn't mean I know more than you!! ;)

Archived