TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New owner, shifting question

187Cobra

Hey guys, I just bought a 2012 svt package yesterday and have a quick question for you. I came from a supercharged corvette c6 so I am used to driving a stick, but I am having an issue. When I am just normal driving the car and go to shift gears the rpms appear to just hang and then falls slowly. When I shift the car normally, which is fairly quick, when I release the clutch pedal the rpm has to fall quite a bit. So what I'm getting at is that the revs are not matching the shift the way I think it should. In the vette when I would shift the rpm fell right in line with where it should be for the next gear, but the shelby rpm seems to hang higher than they should for the next gear. I hope that makes sense to yall.

I just wanted to know if this was normal or if on these cars I'm supposed to wait a good amount of time before releasing the clutch pedal so the rpm can come down to the right level. I just don't want to be causing damage to the transmission.

I noticed the same thing when I got my 2012 as well. I've learned that if you have any throttle in as you push in the clutch it will do this.

Make a conscious effort to fully release the throttle before pushing in the clutch and you'll see the RPMs fall immediately. You'll get used to it and be able to shift faster and have your foot off the throttle a millisecond before pushing in the clutch and it'll work out perfectly.

I will try that out, thank you for your help. When I was driving a little bit ago and watched it it almost looked like the rpm jumped up about 100 rpm when I pressed in the clutch, like when you blip the throttle. I wonder if maybe I am not coming completely off the gas pedal and it is causing that. I will check it out and report back.

Wow, I feel dumb lol that is exactly what I was doing I guess. I typically am letting out the gas and pressing the clutch almost simultaneously so my timing was a hair off.. I guess I just need to get used to the behavior of this car. I do still need to shift a little bit slower. Doing what you said helped a lot but it still doesn't drop quite fast enough for as quick as I shift. I have gotten my timing for the car closest worked out though. Just need to get used to the car a little bit. Thanks again man!

• 4 weeks later...

So I have been driving the car and got used to it where it is not raising the rpm on my shift, but I'm still having the issue of the rpm not falling quick enough especially in low gears.. When I take off in 1st and get to about 3 or 4k rpm and go to shift I still have to wait a while for the rpm to fall to where it should be. I wouldn't be able to do a wot run through the gears if I tried because on that 1st to 2nd shift the rpm takes too long to fall and I waste a ton of time before I can get back on the throttle in second.

Archived