TEAM SHELBY FORUM

blew out a spark plug

konakenny

Hi all,

Looks like a spark plug has blown out of the motor on the drivers side. I will report more after I get the car to the dealer and they look at the motor. Curious if anyone has heard of other 13-14 Shelbys blowning out spark plugs? I would hate to have this happen after the warranty has expired!

Cheers

Edited by konakenny

Haven't heard of this problem yet with the Shelbys...Ford did have a spark plug blowout problem back in 99-03.... Hope that our Shelbys aren't having this problem. Numerous motors, specifically the 5.4s had aluminum heads that didn't have enough threads to hold the spark plugs, so around 50-70K miles, they would start shooting out, starting with the #7 and #8....and then the others. I had a 99 F150 with the 5.4 Triton that did just this, took it to Ford, and the head mechanic told me that this was common, and advised me that a head replacement or a heli-coil would be my two options to remedy the situation. Ford denied the whole thing, even though there were thousands of people filing complaints and reporting it to the NHTSA. Ford wouldn't do a recall, but there were numerous small claim suits that were done per each state, and each one of them was won. I doubt, and I hope that this isn't the situation though, I truly hope not. Keep us informed!

Edited by GT500EA

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious to know how this plays out. It's funny how Ford has had both ends of the plug spectrum going on. Some 5.4s can't keep plugs in and most you can't get the darn things out!!!

Yeah, I was going to mention that I thought the history was more of a problem getting them out than keeping them in. In fact, a whole cottage-too-industry cropped up around extracting broken plugs in Fords.

First I would like to say that I am happy that the local Ford dealer in town will warranty my car as the SVT dealer where I purchased the car is 400 miles away. That said...the head mechanic told me that it looks like the plug did not spontaneously blow out...but had backed out to where the threads could no longer hold the plug in the head. For the last month I heard a quiet tic tic tic sound when the motor had warmed up (like a lifter making a tic sound)...this sound was not present when the motor was cold. I was going to mention it to the SVT dealer on my next trip to Vancouver which would have been the following week after the plug blew out. The mechanic said the head needs to be replaced and it would take a couple of weeks to get the parts...he did not see any damage when he looked into the cylinder with a scope. I will stop by the Ford dealer this week and have a look at the motor with the head off. I will report back how this plays out.......cheers

Edited by konakenny

• 3 years later...
On 9/23/2015 at 2:56 AM, konakenny said:

First I would like to say that I am happy that the local Ford dealer in town will warranty my car as the SVT dealer where I purchased the car is 400 miles away. That said...the head mechanic told me that it looks like the plug did not spontaneously blow out...but had backed out to where the threads could no longer hold the plug in the head. For the last month I heard a quiet tic tic tic sound when the motor had warmed up (like a lifter making a tic sound)...this sound was not present when the motor was cold. I was going to mention it to the SVT dealer on my next trip to Vancouver which would have been the following week after the plug blew out. The mechanic said the head needs to be replaced and it would take a couple of weeks to get the parts...he did not see any damage when he looked into the cylinder with a scope. I will stop by the Ford dealer this week and have a look at the motor with the head off. I will report back how this plays out.......cheers

so how do it play out?? I was having the same symtoms with my 14 GT500. I pulled out the coil, along with it came the spark plug. and the electrode was bent. is it possible the piston hit it?