TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 - MSRP or close?

SLB8SNK

This is an interesting thread to me, and very insightful as the dealership I work for is working on what price to charge for 2008 GT500's. Our list is 60+ customers long, but I'd say only 20-25 are hardcore customers who are really, really serious about buying from us. We get four 2008 GT500's (versus six 2007's).

I'm our dealer's SVT Team Leader, so I'm the guy fielding all the calls and emails to our dealership about GT500's (and the KR's and Shelby GT's, too). I've been soliciting advice on pricing from the customers on our list so that we can be competitive, while charging a price that makes the owner happy, and the customers, as well. About 10 - 15 customers said they'll pay markups in the $10K to $15K range. A handful have said no more than $5K over MSRP. Half of the list is waiting for MSRP. And a few are hopeful for less-than-MSRP. Of course, most of the guys holding out for MSRP or less have been waiting on our list for 1-2 years now, and will likely continue to wait as we have more guys OK over MSRP than we'll get cars for. I personally think $15K over MSRP is the market for an early 2008. Maybe $10K over MSRP later in the model year. It'll be interesting to see what our owner sets the price at, as he gets the final word.

Last year, we pre-sold our 2007's for $10K over MSRP and everyone thought we gave them away too cheap. Most dealers around us were getting $20K to $25K over MSRP here in the Seattle metro area.

On a sad note, even as our store's SVT Team Leader, I have to pay market price if I want one. And, I have to get in line like any other customer. That is sure to keep me in my 2007 Mustang GT with no GT500 in my immediate future. Oh well, I'll just keep living vicariously through you all that have GT500's.

I don't disagree with that. They know how much they can get. They are choosing to sell to local loyal customers and keep their business running in the future. They know I will be replacing my truck, wife's van and buying my 3 kids cars all in the next 8 years. Not to mention service, parts and referals.

I have to admit, I'm still nervous about it. When I think it over, it just does not make sense as to why they would have called me about this car if they intend to do otherwise with it. I guess we'll see in about 2-3 months.

Are you buying from Jordan in Mishawaka? I ordered the first one they got, in March 2006 for MSRP. I took delivery the first week of last August. They have sold all their Shelby's at MSRP, but only to local guys. If these are the guys that you are dealing with, then you have nothing to worry about.

Five oh B -

Here is my take, not as anything more than a simple guy waiting two years and reading many other sites. I live in MI and 20 miles away from where the GT500 is built. Dealers within a 30 mile area differe greatly. The deal direct across from the plant sold ALL his GT500 at MSRP. Every one! If you were lucky and on the list is went in order. Then there are dealers within a few miles of him, that got 10-15-20k over MSRP. No logic at all. To further muddy this up, I am a Ford Fleet customer... I used to buy 20-30 cars a year from two dealers... you would think... no stop... no way! Both wanted 10-15k over and asked if I wanted on the list. Over the past two years I have called sealers asking 25k, and actually argued with them as to how they could sleep at night.... most said, very well! Long story short, I lost out on the 2007 lot as I was unwilling to pay those prices, and did not need the bragging rights. So when the 2008 data start coming in, I once again made my 100 calls to dealer mainly in the tri-state area....MI-ID-OH. However I had a friend in NY and a dealer who promised me a deal.... which by the way ended up being a 2007 that I did not want, and for 10k over. Anyways, I had three deals going at anywhere from 2-10k over. All fell through. I had many in low density areas of MI and OH willing to move at 5k, but they must have realized the market and changed the numbers. HOWEVER, here is what I did see, if you are serious and can call a dealer in a low density area that may have 1 or 2 allocation, and if you talk a large cash deposit (I was willing to put 10-15k cash down) they WILL listen.

Bottom line, I got lucky. I made a random call to a dealer in northern MI who I called last year, who remembered me, who finally said ok and wrote me a deal at MSRP. I got word on Thursday ok-ing from the owner, then word on Friday that the car was ordered to my spec's... I am hand delivering a check for $5k on Monday.

So I think they are out there. Guys willing to work at it, call managers at dealers, offer a large deposit, can get a deal. I seen a post last year for the 2007's and it was a survey (might be this site) and even for that model year there were a good number of MSRP deals. So as long as you can wait, and willing to work, good things can happen. On the other hand, I was also willing to walk away from the car if it did not, so maybe that helps!!!!

Glad I am in, and a part of this forum!

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jun 15 2007, 11:35 PM) 164345[/snapback]
This is an interesting thread to me, and very insightful as the dealership I work for is working on what price to charge for 2008 GT500's. Our list is 60+ customers long, but I'd say only 20-25 are hardcore customers who are really, really serious about buying from us. We get four 2008 GT500's (versus six 2007's).

I'm our dealer's SVT Team Leader, so I'm the guy fielding all the calls and emails to our dealership about GT500's (and the KR's and Shelby GT's, too). I've been soliciting advice on pricing from the customers on our list so that we can be competitive, while charging a price that makes the owner happy, and the customers, as well. About 10 - 15 customers said they'll pay markups in the $10K to $15K range. A handful have said no more than $5K over MSRP. Half of the list is waiting for MSRP. And a few are hopeful for less-than-MSRP. Of course, most of the guys holding out for MSRP or less have been waiting on our list for 1-2 years now, and will likely continue to wait as we have more guys OK over MSRP than we'll get cars for. I personally think $15K over MSRP is the market for an early 2008. Maybe $10K over MSRP later in the model year. It'll be interesting to see what our owner sets the price at, as he gets the final word.

Last year, we pre-sold our 2007's for $10K over MSRP and everyone thought we gave them away too cheap. Most dealers around us were getting $20K to $25K over MSRP here in the Seattle metro area.

On a sad note, even as our store's SVT Team Leader, I have to pay market price if I want one. And, I have to get in line like any other customer. That is sure to keep me in my 2007 Mustang GT with no GT500 in my immediate future. Oh well, I'll just keep living vicariously through you all that have GT500's.

This is why as much as I wanted msrp, I ordered at 5k over. I really did not think that msrp was going to become widespread. Many dealers are in the same boat. A list of 20 odd people looking to buy at various amounts for only a few cars. Definitely a sellers market. There may be dealers and areas selling at msrp but they will take all of a second or two to sell their alotment. If someone has the "either I get one for msrp or I don't get one at all" attitude they may succeed. If someone wants to insure they get a car then they will have to seek out the lowest ADM they can find and live with it. Many want to blame the dealers but the ratio of buyers to vehicles is the real cause of the market.

I still think 5 over is a great deal and more than likely the best out there unless you are on a list, or find the needle in the haystack as I did. I could have slept well with the 5 over deal I almost did hours before I found mine.

Are you buying from Jordan in Mishawaka? I ordered the first one they got, in March 2006 for MSRP. I took delivery the first week of last August. They have sold all their Shelby's at MSRP, but only to local guys. If these are the guys that you are dealing with, then you have nothing to worry about.

No. Mishawaka is a little far from me. About 3 hours. I would have called them had I known they were this way. If they would have considered me local, anyway. I would bring it to them for service and parts if we had dealt.

Archived