TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ENGNE TICK REVISITED

Mustang5

Hi Guys, not to beat a dead horse, but I feel inclined to readress my previous posting about the dreaded Engine Tick. Having driven another 400 miles I now have more specific information. First of all the car now has 1700 miles on it. The ticking sound is some what elusive, but I have figured out two criteria for hearing it. First of all the car has to be at normal operating temperature. Secondly and this is the important one, after I do a couple of hard runs on the car taking it up to redline as I go through the gears.

The sound I am hearing is a fairly sharp lifter type clatter. It can be heard most prominantly near the front left wheel well. In fact it sounds like it is in the header area. The sound I am hearing is not the fuel injectors and in fact the clatter is not as prominent from above the engine.

I took the car to my local SVT dealership yesterday and they kept it for a day and a half. They hooked up an electronic stethiscope and the technician noticed the same thing, that the noise seemed to be coming from the left header area. With that in mind they pulled the exhaust off to make sure nothing was out of place. Unfortunately they did not discover any thing. To make a long story short the technician couldn't find the source of the noise. They stopped short of saying the sound was normal, but just couldn't figure it out.

I would sure like to hear your thoughts on this.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Guys, not to beat a dead horse, but I feel inclined to readress my previous posting about the dreaded Engine Tick. Having driven another 400 miles I now have more specific information. First of all the car now has 1700 miles on it. The ticking sound is some what elusive, but I have figured out two criteria for hearing it. First of all the car has to be at normal operating temperature. Secondly and this is the important one, after I do a couple of hard runs on the car taking it up to redline as I go through the gears.

The sound I am hearing is a fairly sharp lifter type clatter. It can be heard most prominantly near the front left wheel well. In fact it sounds like it is in the header area. The sound I am hearing is not the fuel injectors and in fact the clatter is not as prominent from above the engine.

I took the car to my local SVT dealership yesterday and they kept it for a day and a half. They hooked up an electronic stethiscope and the technician noticed the same thing, that the noise seemed to be coming from the left header area. With that in mind they pulled the exhaust off to make sure nothing was out of place. Unfortunately they did not discover any thing. To make a long story short the technician couldn't find the source of the noise. They stopped short of saying the sound was normal, but just couldn't figure it out.

I would sure like to hear your thoughts on this.

Wonder if it could actually be coming from your clutch assembly? I think it could be as simple as one rocker arm or a loose spark plug? Did they say anything about checking spark plugs or for proper rocker arm assy installation? Mine does not make any noise like that (for now), and I have about 2400 miles. I have driven a couple others and heard several others, never noticed the noise you are describing. My neighbor is a Senior Master Technician for Ford, I will ask him what he thinks you should do next.

Wonder if it could actually be coming from your clutch assembly? I think it could be as simple as one rocker arm or a loose spark plug? Did they say anything about checking spark plugs or for proper rocker arm assy installation? Mine does not make any noise like that (for now), and I have about 2400 miles. I have driven a couple others and heard several others, never noticed the noise you are describing. My neighbor is a Senior Master Technician for Ford, I will ask him what he thinks you should do next.

Hi, thanks for your interest. While the technician and I were listening for the noise, he had me engage the clutch and then release it. There was no difference in the noise. I don't know if that would be enough to rule out the clutch.

I'll be curious to see if your neighbor has any ideas.

Hi, thanks for your interest. While the technician and I were listening for the noise, he had me engage the clutch and then release it. There was no difference in the noise. I don't know if that would be enough to rule out the clutch.

I'll be curious to see if your neighbor has any ideas.

I apologize, no luck.

Greetings,

Usually its a stuck hydraulic lifter. They get pumped up on a hard run and its not bleeding off properly. That said, Im far from a mechanic, but this was a problem with old Ford engines like the 302 and 351's. Not sure if this would apply to a DOHC engine or not. Anyway, my guess is its in the valve train somewhere. Good luck, hope you get it straightened out.

KC666

Greetings,

Usually its a stuck hydraulic lifter. They get pumped up on a hard run and its not bleeding off properly. That said, Im far from a mechanic, but this was a problem with old Ford engines like the 302 and 351's. Not sure if this would apply to a DOHC engine or not. Anyway, my guess is its in the valve train somewhere. Good luck, hope you get it straightened out.

KC666

Thanks, everyone I have spoke to about this comes up with the same conclusion: a lifter problem of some type. I was told my someone very close to Ford that it was likely a lifter bleeding off after a hard run. I'll be talking to SVT about it again tomorrow.

I just got home from my local Ford Dealer that was looking for a clatter in engine exactly as you described. After my 2007 GT 500 gets warm I get this erratic clatter/knocking noise that you can hear real pronounced behind the left rear wheel. The first time I heard it was backing in to my garage and I thought I had a rod knock. After listening for a while I could tell it was valve train that appeared to be not getting enough oil pressure after hot. By simpling giving the engine a little more RPM noise goes away.

Anyway, same noise as you are describing. When I first stopped at the dealership they thought I should park the car and not drive because of the noise. After picking up my car the repair order reads, tech did not hear noise-normal injector supercharger noise. Neither of those noises is what I am hearing. After quizzing the service writer he admits they both hear the noise but don't know what it is other that sounds like valve train noise. He said they called tech assistance and they had no other complaints and it is probably just a normal noise. WOW! I guess if you are the first one with a problem it has to be normal until others complain or break. Anyway thought I would let you know your not the only one. I stopped by to talk with another local that just bought a GT500 and he is going to listed to his engine tomorrow to see if anything similar. My car has 1800 miles and his has 2300.

Steve Edgar

Missoula, Montana

I just got home from my local Ford Dealer that was looking for a clatter in engine exactly as you described. After my 2007 GT 500 gets warm I get this erratic clatter/knocking noise that you can hear real pronounced behind the left rear wheel. The first time I heard it was backing in to my garage and I thought I had a rod knock. After listening for a while I could tell it was valve train that appeared to be not getting enough oil pressure after hot. By simpling giving the engine a little more RPM noise goes away.

Anyway, same noise as you are describing. When I first stopped at the dealership they thought I should park the car and not drive because of the noise. After picking up my car the repair order reads, tech did not hear noise-normal injector supercharger noise. Neither of those noises is what I am hearing. After quizzing the service writer he admits they both hear the noise but don't know what it is other that sounds like valve train noise. He said they called tech assistance and they had no other complaints and it is probably just a normal noise. WOW! I guess if you are the first one with a problem it has to be normal until others complain or break. Anyway thought I would let you know your not the only one. I stopped by to talk with another local that just bought a GT500 and he is going to listed to his engine tomorrow to see if anything similar. My car has 1800 miles and his has 2300.

Steve Edgar

Missoula, Montana

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for responding. I took my car back to my local dealer today and after talking with them they decided to get the local field service engineer involved. The engineer won't be available until this Friday, so I'll be taking the car back then.

Just to give you some more info on the sound. I haven't noticed it when starting the car cold in the morning. It always seems to be after I have driven it a while. The only time I hear it is at idle or around 1000 RPM. This morning when I took it to the dealership, I wanted to make sure that it was good and hot so I drove the car about 20 miles before I showed up. As luck would have it there were 6 or 7 cars ahead of me, so I let the car idle. While I sat there for 10-15 minutes the sound came and went 3 times. Which was something I hadn't noticed before. The sound is definately not normal, ie injectors or any thing else. It is a very distinctive sharp metal on metal type of sound. Like you said it is erratic as opposed to rythmic. It also picks up with engine RPM.

I'll let you know as soon as we figure any thing out. By the way my car now has 2600 miles on it and the problem is getting very slightly worse as time goes on.

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for responding. I took my car back to my local dealer today and after talking with them they decided to get the local field service engineer involved. The engineer won't be available until this Friday, so I'll be taking the car back then.

Just to give you some more info on the sound. I haven't noticed it when starting the car cold in the morning. It always seems to be after I have driven it a while. The only time I hear it is at idle or around 1000 RPM. This morning when I took it to the dealership, I wanted to make sure that it was good and hot so I drove the car about 20 miles before I showed up. As luck would have it there were 6 or 7 cars ahead of me, so I let the car idle. While I sat there for 10-15 minutes the sound came and went 3 times. Which was something I hadn't noticed before. The sound is definately not normal, ie injectors or any thing else. It is a very distinctive sharp metal on metal type of sound. Like you said it is erratic as opposed to rythmic. It also picks up with engine RPM.

I'll let you know as soon as we figure any thing out. By the way my car now has 2600 miles on it and the problem is getting very slightly worse as time goes on.

I have this noise also...although it's very soft and you have to really listen for it. Keep us posted.

Sounds like the 03/04 Cobra Mustang tick to me. Something to do the rear cylinder on that side getting too hot. So we had a fix of some cooling mod to help.

I was thinking the same thing. With my 03 Cobra, I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get them to do anything. After several phones calls and a few visits to the dealer, a SVT tech ordered the dealer to replace the entire head. Problem solved.

The noise you are describing sounds identical to the noise in my car. How many miles do you have. Yours sounds like mine when I had under 1000 miles. As I got up close to 2000 miles it started get constitant with the noise. Now I hear it all the time once car is warmed up. Hard to hear from top of motor if at all. Very pronounced when listening behind left rear wheel. Good luck and will look for update from you.

Steve

The noise you are describing sounds identical to the noise in my car. How many miles do you have. Yours sounds like mine when I had under 1000 miles. As I got up close to 2000 miles it started get constitant with the noise. Now I hear it all the time once car is warmed up. Hard to hear from top of motor if at all. Very pronounced when listening behind left rear wheel. Good luck and will look for update from you.

Steve

Had that problem on cars owned before. Most times, ends up being just a very small exhaust leak between the head and the exhaust manifold, especially if it noise picks up with higher rpm's. Location of behind tire is a suspicious exhaust leak also.

AZbud

Had that problem on cars owned before. Most times, ends up being just a very small exhaust leak between the head and the exhaust manifold, especially if it noise picks up with higher rpm's. Location of behind tire is a suspicious exhaust leak also.

AZbud

The mechanic at the dealership actually thought there might be something in the catalytic converter, so he pulled the exhaust off and inspected it. Everything was fine and the sound did not change any, so I think we could rule that out. Thanks for your input though, I want to get to the root of the problem.

I was thinking the same thing. With my 03 Cobra, I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get them to do anything. After several phones calls and a few visits to the dealer, a SVT tech ordered the dealer to replace the entire head. Problem solved.

I think you guys are on to something. A very experienced Ford mechanic told me the same exact thing. Thanks

Steve

Hey Steve, My problem surfaced around 1300 miles and has gradually gotten worse now that I am up to 2600. I'll let you know if I come up with any thing.

Rob

• 8 months later...
Hey Steve, My problem surfaced around 1300 miles and has gradually gotten worse now that I am up to 2600. I'll let you know if I come up with any thing.

Rob

I have this same problem on the right side. Has anybody found a fix for this?

My car has about 5000 miles and it is getting louder....tks for any feedback

Hey Guys,

I've had the same problem since about 1000 miles. Currently 3000 (1-1/2 years old - picked up Sept 8 - 06)

I hear the noise more when the car is ran normally. It's lou denough to hear but the source can't be determined.

I, also, took it to the dealer - they said I was too anal - they heard nothing. It's still there - 1 year later.

Don't know what to do about it.

To be honest, at times, I really don't feel like I'm driving a HP Shelby.

At times, it really sounds like a '61 Ford Falcon. It has become a very annoying situation.

Hope we can resolve it together, here - because the dealers seem to wash their hands of it all.

Bob

Hey Guys,

I've had the same problem since about 1000 miles. Currently 3000 (1-1/2 years old - picked up Sept 8 - 06)

I hear the noise more when the car is ran normally. It's lou denough to hear but the source can't be determined.

I, also, took it to the dealer - they said I was too anal - they heard nothing. It's still there - 1 year later.

Don't know what to do about it.

To be honest, at times, I really don't feel like I'm driving a HP Shelby.

At times, it really sounds like a '61 Ford Falcon. It has become a very annoying situation.

Hope we can resolve it together, here - because the dealers seem to wash their hands of it all.

Bob

i had this problem after the car was run hot. my tuner noticed it first. I took it to the dealer, and they tightened up something on the driver side head (i think a cam lasher or something) and it went away.

I to have this tick...First noticed it around 1800 mi..I put a thicker oil [15w50] and it got worse..so I removed it[25 or so mi] and put the Ford 5w50 back and it was reduced. I to think its in the valve train..dr side on my car.

Hey you can see from my earlier post last July 2007 I still have the same tick in the engine other than it no longer does just when hot. It now rattles all the time. After 2 visits to my local ford dealer they told me they were aware of the prob as they had one other Shelby making the noise but there was no fix for it. Here we are almost a year later and still no answers. I emailed the wonderful Form Motor Company this week to explain and i got back a form letter stating to take back to dealer. I emailed again saying read my email I state I have already taken in twice and they told me they couldnt fix and they again emailed telling me to take back to Ford Dealer. I think I am going to sell the car and go back to driving Corvettes that I had prev for past 8 cars with no problems. What a bummer I get my dream car that has problems and no one can fix. In my opinion the way Ford handled this I think they Suck.

Steve in Missoula

Your ride doesn't tick. It doesn't even run! :hysterical2:

:hysterical:

Sowy Dave.

Going to my corner now.

Thanks.......... :banghead: But it will.....soon. :happy feet:

I just watch the vid link below and I get all gitty........... :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Thanks.......... :banghead: But it will.....soon. :happy feet:

I just watch the vid link below and I get all gitty........... :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

U want I can record my GT 500 as it rattles like a diesel. That might cheer you up!

U want I can record my GT 500 as it rattles like a diesel. That might cheer you up!

Oh snap.. :hysterical2:

"rattles like a diesel" LMAO....I think I just pee-alittle..... :hysterical2:

Do you think a can of STP oil treatment will fix this??? :happy feet: :happy feet: :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2: JK.

Archived