TEAM SHELBY FORUM

NASCAR paint job lead to new GT-H?

JeffJ

Love Joey Lagano's paint scheme for this weekend. Obviously the Hertz/Shelby relationship is still on the minds of all the good folks at Hertz! hmmmmm........

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/darlington-raceway-paint-schemes-joey-logano-team-penske-xfinity-series-083115

Great looking car!

A 50th anniversary car simply makes sense... The last 2 times was during the second year of a NEW Mustang, too, so why not? I sure hope it happens.

Wow, it's crazy to think that our cars are almost 10 years old. Time flies when you're having fun! :peelout:

It sounds crazy, but my guess is Penske will put together the 2016 GT350 -H. They just finished a "trial run" (you could call it) with the Hertz Penske cars, and this car (race car in the article) is a Penske team car. It sounds nuts but Hertz pretty much has said in the past that they would not deal with Shelby again, and they are dealing with Penske. I had hopes that when Shelby hired A.J. again that might be the key to make it happen again for Shelby, but I don't have that feeling anymore. Ford is making the GT350 and I think Penske will make the GT350-H

It sounds crazy, but my guess is Penske will put together the 2016 GT350 -H. They just finished a "trial run" (you could call it) with the Hertz Penske cars, and this car (race car in the article) is a Penske team car. It sounds nuts but Hertz pretty much has said in the past that they would not deal with Shelby again, and they are dealing with Penske. I had hopes that when Shelby hired A.J. again that might be the key to make it happen again for Shelby, but I don't have that feeling anymore. Ford is making the GT350 and I think Penske will make the GT350-H

Possible. The funny thing about that entire Hertz Penske Mustang, is that Roush actually built, striped and did all of the assembly of those cars.

+1 ... if that is the case then it may be a Hertz GT350-H but it will not be a Shelby GT350-H, still a great car but in my opinion a lower benchmark and it won't make the same news as a Shelby GT350-H, my vote is for the Shelby version to maintain the heritage.

All good discussion. My thought on Shelby American is that they are moving forward and not really wanting to re-create history as much as creating new history and legacy in a new environment. (Hope that sentence makes sense). OK, some exceptions will present its self such as the 50th Anniversary Daytona Coupes. Very limited production cars. Not sure they want to mass produce like they did with the GT-H, SGT & KR. However, AJ is the man to make that line work. Rather, move forward with new concepts especially with the new platform and global opportunities with post title upgrades. Trying to reach a different crowd/generation of car enthusiasts beside baby boomers that grew up during the 1st generation Shelby era. That said, time will tell and it is All Good!.

Shelby licensing still owns the trademark for G.T.350H

I doubt Penske will build one with that name. Ford doesn't need Shelby to build this car since they are already building the GT350s without Shelby. They are licensing the GT350 name, so it would make the most sense that they simply make a black/gold GT350, pay for the licensing to call it a GT350H, and make it available exclusively to Hertz on the rental lots. Not very complicated to get this done, I would think. The 2006 car was the most unique as it was really it's own car/concept until the SGT followed it. In 1966 the GT350H was just a specially labeled GT350 with it's own chrome version of the wheels.

• 2 months later...

Shelby licensing still owns the trademark for G.T.350H

I doubt Penske will build one with that name. Ford doesn't need Shelby to build this car since they are already building the GT350s without Shelby. They are licensing the GT350 name, so it would make the most sense that they simply make a black/gold GT350, pay for the licensing to call it a GT350H, and make it available exclusively to Hertz on the rental lots. Not very complicated to get this done, I would think. The 2006 car was the most unique as it was really it's own car/concept until the SGT followed it. In 1966 the GT350H was just a specially labeled GT350 with it's own chrome version of the wheels.

They are also licensing the "Shelby" name as well - and have been for a while. Sometimes hard to tell outwardly which Mustangs are the converted Shelby's and which ones are from SVT. So, if Hertz doesn't do another partnership with Shelby, I guess that will make the '66 and '06/'07 cars that much more unique/collectible.

Archived