TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1967 Shelby found at the OK Corral

That is easy to explain. I never said that ford never made a 289 5 bolt. What I said was that in august/Sept of 1964 as ford was changing from the 260 to the 289 they went from a five to a six bolt bellhousing. They did so to reduce noise and vibration. Ford quit making the 289 with a five bolt pattern some time in the latter part of august 1964. There was then the august/Sept 1964 changeover period to use up existing inventory of 260s and 289s with 5 bolts and integrate the 6 bolt 289 in to production and phase out the 260 5 bolt and 289 5 bolts in the Mustang Production lines. So yeah during those couple of transition months and maybe a month or two after that a combination of 260 5 bolts, 289 5 bolts, and 289 six bolts got shoved in to Mustangs. After that point in time, all 289s for the Mustang were then 6 bolts. One should remember that Ford was producing an unprecedented 50,000 Mustangs per month and barely keeping up with demand and in some instances they were even robbing engines from Falcon and Galaxie production to try and keep up with demand. Hope that helps "splain" it in more detail for you.

Excellent "splaination". Makes sense, Thanks!

No problem. You obviously have experience with old mustangs to know about the ol' 5 bolt/6 Bolt issue. Your dates were just off. Its all good.I also owned a hi-po stang but it was a 67 GTA fastback and it was a 6 bolt. Had a 1964 1/2 with a 260 that was five bolt. Owned a couple others from 67 and 68 and wrenched on a lot of 65 thru 68 models many years ago. I don't think the old stangs were junk but I do prefer the 2008 Shelby I own over the old ones. Enjoy your ride.

No problem. You obviously have experience with old mustangs to know about the ol' 5 bolt/6 Bolt issue. Your dates were just off. Its all good.I also owned a hi-po stang but it was a 67 GTA fastback and it was a 6 bolt. Had a 1964 1/2 with a 260 that was five bolt. Owned a couple others from 67 and 68 and wrenched on a lot of 65 thru 68 models many years ago. I don't think the old stangs were junk but I do prefer the 2008 Shelby I own over the old ones. Enjoy your ride.

The last two we did were '67 GTs, specifically one GT and the other a GTA, both big block 390s. The GT was Whibeldon White/blue interior with 4:10s. Both were absolutely gorgeous vehicles but such POS otherwise.