TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Does Changing From Stock To Colder Plugs Require New Tune?

MississippiMustang

Alright, so my gt500 has: headers, exhaust, intake, 2.6" aftermarket pulley, and a tune of some sort (idk what kind, I got the car like this.) I just discovered that although it's pulling 12 lbs boost right now, it's still running the plugs that came in it from the factory. I'm gonna put some NGK TR6's in it, and I've gathered from this forum that I should gap them .035".

However, does this change require re-tuning? I sure hope not.

Any help would be appreciated1

Alright, so my gt500 has: headers, exhaust, intake, 2.6" aftermarket pulley, and a tune of some sort (idk what kind, I got the car like this.) I just discovered that although it's pulling 12 lbs boost right now, it's still running the plugs that came in it from the factory. I'm gonna put some NGK TR6's in it, and I've gathered from this forum that I should gap them .035".

However, does this change require re-tuning? I sure hope not.

Any help would be appreciated1

They probably should have been changed to a cold plug when they did the pulley & tune .

Colder plugs are recommended to be safe when increasing boost. You don't need to change the tune for the plugs. Companies selling Stage 2 kits and above include the colder plugs. My Evolution Performance kit recommended the NGK TR6 plugs. Fred said gap them .032.

Archived