TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why you will not see a Super Snake BOM

I moved this from another thread because some member isn't happy that SAI isn't providing a B.O.M. at this time, so here is my unvarnished opinion. (Flame suit :superhero: activated)

IMO here's the deal on why you WILL NOT see a BOM yet.

B.O.M. = (Bill of Materials/individual items/parts used to create this car)

1st off, they have only one prototype car & it’s heading to Tulsa show. Any & all parts on that car are first piece submission parts from all the vendors that plan on supplying SAI with parts to build this Super car. With that being said, I'm sure that most pieces didn't fit exactly correct when bolted on the first time & will need to go back to the vendors for more tweaking or redesign before being massed produced to SAI standards.

Second, the Prototype car probably hasn't been tested yet for reliability or proper handling & performance. I'm sure this car was rushed thru SAI just so it could be shown at Tulsa show & once it gets back they will then put the car thru its paces, give it plenty of testing on the track, and Dyno it. They will then change some settings on the suspension, CPU, motor or change part manufactures all together until they have exactly what they want before creating a final BOM. By the way, all the prototypes that you read about in magazines are never exactly what they are when the story went to print, so don’t try holding SAI to a different standard then the rest of the automotive parts manufacturing world.

Third, I’m sure SAI put out the KR & Super Snake news to help slow down the loss of market share to the aftermarket vendors. So what if they prematurely released info, but had they not & you went in another direction for modifications & then heard about this car after it was finalized, you would be pissed. The list of goodies they have told us about is either enough to make you want to wait it out or not at all and for someone to continually whine, cry & publicly criticize SAI for not releasing a finalized BOM before the final product has gone thru all it paces & testing is just plain old selfishness BS.

Last but not least, your down payment is to hold your spot inline & before they sign off on the final product, you won’t see a BOM, so get over it; it’s not going to happen. Because if they do publish one right now, someone like Mr. Iwantitdonemyway will go ballistic by ranting & raving about how SAI changed this & that, and that's why I placed my down payment because of what the BOM said it was going to be. The bottom line is either you want the dam SUPER SNAKE or YOU DON'T. If you don't trust SAI to do the right things for performance & reliability, then you don't deserve to have one in the first place. Now quit your :censored: bitching about needing a BOM.

:rant: Rant over :soapbox:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, you're the guy with the online dictionary :waiting:

bom

bom [bom]

n (plural bombs)

1. arms explosive projectile: a missile containing explosive or other destructive material

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

CW, not defending anyone here.

My feeling about this issue is this:

Whenever I'm going to spend this kind or money for something I want to know exactly what I'm getting for my hard earned money. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for a BOM on the finished production version. That said I do realize that it might be too early to finalize that list due to the factors you have pointed out.

So I will wait until things have been tested , fitted and all the final decisions have been made and all the facts & figures are presented before I committ 1/2 the cost of the package ($15,000) . I would regret my decision if something important to me was either changed or ommited and I've already placed a deposit.

To me this is the prudent thing to do after all ,I have to be a good steward of my resourses.

Quite often the actual production version is different than the concept version which is why the order banks are not open until things are finalized and ready for production and everyone knows what it will look like and what's included.

CW, not defending anyone here.

My feeling about this issue is this:

Whenever I'm going to spend this kind or money for something I want to know exactly what I'm getting for my hard earned money. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for a BOM on the finished production version. That said I do realize that it might be too early to finalize that list due to the factors you have pointed out.

So I will wait until things have been tested , fitted and all the final decisions have been made and all the facts & figures are presented before I committ 1/2 the cost of the package ($15,000) . I would regret my decision if something important to me was either changed or ommited and I've already placed a deposit.

To me this is the prudent thing to do after all ,I have to be a good steward of my resourses.

Quite often the actual production version is different than the concept version which is why the order banks are not open until things are finalized and ready for production and everyone knows what it will look like and what's included.

No offence taken. Your points are similar to the ones I was trying to make. But some folks want exclusivity with a really low production number & they want it now or at least they think they do but must have a list 1st. IMO You can always get your deposit back by waiting it out until it's finalized & like the new & most recent photos show, some things have already changed, but I have a feeling they are testing our reactions to see what the 1st hand responses are.

No offence taken. Your points are similar to the ones I was trying to make. But some folks want exclusivity with a really low production number & they want it now or at least they think they do but must have a list 1st. IMO You can always get your deposit back by waiting it out until it's finalized & like the new & most recent photos show, some things have already changed, but I have a feeling they are test our reactions to see what the 1st hand responses are.

Yes, yes, exactly. People have to remember that this is nearly as close to custom-on-demand as you can get, and that they are sorting things out even now, I am sure.

So, I expect change as this car is conceptual and very near production. I wouldn't even be surprized changes are made during production.

Why not? Every manufacturer actively changes the BOM even during production. It happens all the time, and generally the mfr replaces said part with something as good or better than the initial part. I am not saying this to make anyone nervous. I am sure that SAI will keep the content high on their flagship car. It's just the SOP (standard operating procedure) for any manufacturer.

Add to this the fact that SAI is doing this whole thing in a time-compressed manner, and I think it will give you a better understanding of why the product is not static right now, and may not be up until very close to the actual production date.

Overall I think they really hit the mark on this car- both from a stylistic and performance point of view- and if anything the changes would be minor from this point forward.

Just my 2 cents :)

As far as opinions, they are all good, so long as they are not posted in a bitter, ascerbic manner. After all, we're all adults here? :hysterical:

:cry:

The squeaky wheel always gets the grease, so quit squeaking!

Coldy,

Quit squeaking? Are we calling the kettle black? I was surprized to see you had some disappointments with the SS and comments on changes desired on another thread. Seems as though the show car doesn't exactly represent the press release. While this is not unusual, maybe you can begin to undershand where I am coming from and why I want a BOM before I plunk down a 15K deposit, especially when it appears that there has been no component compatability testing yet, so things could change significantly over time.

You view my comments as being negative or whatever, I view my comments as being realistically cautious. Now if you truely want a negative comment from me - I will say that I do not like the hood. The 08KR hood flows much better and more closeley resembles the hood on my 68. But, as I understand it, big brother will not let SAI use the KR styling cues on the SS.

I am more proactive in helping folks on this site then you ever thought about being. Since day one you have posted negative comments & nothing positive. Your only focus has been on what you want or what you don't like, or what SAI hasn't done. You’re just a critic. We have all heard you say over & over again that you want a list before you plump down a deposit; well it’s not going to happen when you want it to, so I guess you can just sit on your money & wait until the final product is done before putting a deposit down. I’m sure you’re not the only one who wants one, but the others are not as anal as you are about it.

If you have questions, ask them, but do it in a respectful manner & quit continually reposting the same squeaky question over & over & over again or continue to complain about what's not right with the car. It’s ok to say you don’t like this or that w/o being sarcastic. Try interacting or socializing with folks around here & most of all, try making some positive comments for a change. Many folks including myself (Toot, Toot) spend many hours searching the web for the latest info so our members are the most up to date members there are & without their positive contributions to this site, you would have one heck of a boring site consisting of off topic material & thong photos.

Okay....no naming names, no retorts, no thongs...... just keep on topic. Trying to be fair to everyone, and yeah, some people are questioning the BOM, and yeah, others are not.

Soooooooooooooooo, let's keep it civil, reasonably non-sarcastic, and definitely NO thong pics! :redcard: Carry on...

I am more proactive in helping folks on this site then you ever thought about being. Since day one you have posted negative comments & nothing positive. Your only focus has been on what you want or what you don't like, or what SAI hasn't done. You’re just a critic. We have all heard you say over & over again that you what a list before you plump down a deposit; well it’s not going to happen when you want it to, so I guess you can just sit on your money & wait until the final product is done before putting a deposit down. I’m sure you’re not the only one who wants one, but the others are not as anal as you are about it.

If you have questions, ask them, but do it in a respectful manner & quit continually reposting the same squeaky question over & over & over again or continue to complain about what's not right with the car. It’s ok to say you don’t like this or that w/o being sarcastic. Try interacting or socializing with folks around here & most of all, try making some positive comments for a change. Many folks including myself (Toot, Toot) spend many hours searching the web for the latest info so our members are the most up to date members there are & without their positive contributions to this site, you would have one heck of a boring site consisting of off topic material & thong photos.

You got a problem with thong photos, John-Boy?

Ruf's counting to 10.

Okay....no naming names, no retorts, no thongs...... just keep on topic. Trying to be fair to everyone, and yeah, some people are questioning the BOM, and yeah, others are not.

Soooooooooooooooo, let's keep it civil, reasonably non-sarcastic, and definitely NO thong pics! :redcard: Carry on...

Ok Crispy, the name has been changed in post#1 to protect the Impatient.

Okay, Coldy - we're cool. (!) :hysterical2:

Please try to keep your Sicilian temper in check.

These forums need tech talk and fun stuff, too. Right?

You can deal mostly with the former - I'll do the same with the latter.

And the beat goes on.

Archived