TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lost My Dad, Best Friend, And Fellow Team Shelby Member

CSSHELBYKID

On Saturday, August 15, my father Glen Guy, also known as "Shelbyguy" here on the forum, passed away. My father was the longest living Heart Transplant recipient in the country, and possibly the world at nearly 32 years! As some of you know, Carroll Shelby also had a heart transplant. Before Carroll received his heart, he found out through a few friends that my father had gone through a heart transplant, and soon got in contact with my father to ask him questions, discuss life as a heart transplant recipient and how it affected everyday life. Through the similarity of having a heart transplant, a love for cars, and the need for speed, a friendship was formed between my Dad and Carroll. Over the years, starting in 2006 when the GT-H came available as a rental car, this love for Shelby's and the connection with Shelby became alive again. In 2007 my Dad ordered his first Shelby. A 2007 Shelby GT/SC. From there, the Shelby herd grew to add a 2006 GT-H, a 2007 GT-H, and a 2007 SGT for me as my first car. I may have only gotten 20 years with my Dad, but the fun, the memories, and the stories that I have with my Dad and my family with these beautiful cars and the great people here on this forum, at the Shelby events and the people behind the scene at Shelby American are enough to last many lifetimes. I plan to continue his legacy of making the best of everything, having fun, and following his motto "if its worth doing, its worth over doing"

My Dad may have left earth, but he will never leave my heart and my memories of having fun with him in the Shelby's.

I feel that Carroll and my Dad are probably racing laps and laying rubber down on that big race track in the sky.

post-37192-0-04618700-1440184207_thumb.jpg

post-37192-0-36665800-1440184444_thumb.jpg

Very sorry for your loss. Very well written post also. I got a lump in my throat and choked up reading it. It didn't take long to tell you are a very well grounded, and very strong person for your age. Wise beyond your years. Stay strong and move forward in honor of your dads legacy. Time will help heal some of the pain and gradually replace it with appreciation for all the great memories and the hope of joining him again.

Sorry for your Loss. I know what you must be going thru, I lost my Mom a few Years ago. She to had a Heart Transplant which gave her another 20 Years of Life.

Wow. Great to hear of another heart transplant success story. Sorry for your loss as well. I'm sure that the new lease on life that she got with getting the transplant brought her many years of fond memories and better outlook on everyday life.

CSSHELBYKID

I am sorry to hear of your loss, I am sure your dad would agree he has left the best parts of him down here with you and the others he left behind.

RIP Glen

I definitely feel that my Dad would be proud to know that all his hard work and the time he spent with us has formed me and the rest of my family to be the modern day representatives of the great reputation and person he was.

CSSHELBYKID

My condolence to you and your family , your dad being a true car guy left you with many fond memories you will cherish for the rest of your life.

Yes indeed. Many great memories that forever keep me smiling and laughing, and I plan to continue those memories knowing that he is forever with me, cruising the streets and lapping the track.

CSSHELBYKID

Sorry for your loss. Always remember memories are the lifeline of life...

Thank you. It is with the memories that I have with my dad that keep me smiling and going throughout the day, creating new memories of my own

CSSHELBYKID

Very sorry for your loss. Very well written post also. I got a lump in my throat and choked up reading it. It didn't take long to tell you are a very well grounded, and very strong person for your age. Wise beyond your years. Stay strong and move forward in honor of your dads legacy. Time will help heal some of the pain and gradually replace it with appreciation for all the great memories and the hope of joining him again.

Thank you very much for your comment. I think my Dad is very proud to see that the time and effort that he and my mother spent in raising me and my sister has formed me to be a better person, just like him. I am very proud to say that I am the son of my dad, Glen Guy

CSSHELBYKID

I would just like to thank all the people here on the Team Shelby Forum that have taken the time to read my post about my dad and comment. It makes me very happy to know that there are still good people out there that care for others, even though they may not have ever met face to face. Everyone here part of the "shelby family" has always been nice and caring of others.

CSSHELBYKID

I think it's awesome your Dad shared his love of cars with you, the family picture is amazing. Maybe someday you'll pass that along to your kids and keep your father's memory going.

It's going to take some time to feel like yourself again so be sure to cut yourself a break now and again. My condolences.

Let me start by saying your write up is awesome. Nicely done! I am sure Carroll and Glen are looking down at you and Glen saying proudly, "that's my young man". Cherish the memories. Very sorry for your loss and prayers to you and your family. I am Glad that I was able to meet Glen. God Speed

I'm sorry to hear of your Dads passing,time does make it easier as you move forward!

Your fathers legacy is still alive and well in you!!!!!

He not only help raise you to be a caring,compassionate guy but also shared his love of cars with his son,that is priceless!!!!!!

You are now going to continue to honour his memory every time you drive your Shelby and I am damn sure he's riding along with you in the passenger seat every time!!!!!

Keep on driving!!!!!!

My condolences to you and your family.

We've had the pleasure of meeting a few times and it was all four of you, always cruising together in your Shelby's, which I thought was way cool.

Certainly it is a sad time for your, but I'm sure your dad would be the first to tell you he was blessed to get 32 years after his transplant.

Keep his Shelby spirit rolling and maybe you can join us for the Baja Cantina cruise to Carmel Valley in October (exact date tbd)

Tom

I think it's awesome your Dad shared his love of cars with you, the family picture is amazing. Maybe someday you'll pass that along to your kids and keep your father's memory going.

It's going to take some time to feel like yourself again so be sure to cut yourself a break now and again. My condolences.

Thank you. I will for sure instill a passion for cars and the love for life into my family once that time comes (many years from now). My Dad impacted so many people, more than anyone can imagine. I always love hearing the crazy stories about my dad and the wild things he did in his car when he was young. My dad once said that if I did the things that he did when he was my age, he would have never bought me a shelby. I guess it's a good thing that my parents taught me to treat everyone and everything with care and to always have my priorities in the right place: God, family, school, fun, etc.

CSSHELBYKID

Very sorry for your loss, my thoughts go out to you and your family.

May he RIP

Thank you for your sympathies. I am so happy that the people here on this forum are so caring and supportive of others. It's great to see so many have a heart for others.

CSSHELBYKID

Thanks for sharing this with us........ :grouphug:

Sorry for your family's loss.

As you mentioned, there's more to the Shelby community than just the cars. Be strong bud.

Yes indeed. There is much much more to the shelby family than just cars. There is compassion, support, trust and motivation. The shelby group really is a unique group.

CSSHELBYKID