TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake Kit Advice

So i'm about to start on my DOB supercharger build, I hope I can make some safe power without blowing up the engine. 500-550 hp (crank) would be awesome.

But before i start, I want to make sure my braking is upgraded also. I don't want to end up in a wall after my first test run ^^

I want to start with the front, and for more then a year I was convinced I would be going with a take off gt500 set and tweak that a bit.
Now that I dig into it...i don't know anymore.

With my bigger wheels, a big brake kit would look great, and might give me just that extra power to make me feel a bit safer :)

Now I am looking at the Shelby Wilwood 6 piston big brake kit, which seems like an awesome bang for buck
I have 20" Razor's with the correct (+24) offset for a big brake setup.

Any advice on this?

I think the Shelby/Willwood is a good choice! I am going to purchace them in the future.I also have the 20" Razors but with the 40" offset. I have been told that the Willwoods set in a lot more than other big brakes so I hope they fit. If not, I might need a very small wheel spacer, 1/8" to 1/4", I hope! Enjoy your new car with the SC!

• 2 weeks later...

Either of those is a good choice. I've been running the Brembos for a few years now and have no complaints. I think the main advantage you'll get from the Shelby kit is the 2 piece rotors.

Ditto running Brembo's off of a GT500 with slotted rotors and braided brake lines, huge upgrade from the stock setup.

Don't forget the original Baer Shelby Pro Plus Brake System - Two piece rotors and uses corvette C5/C6 pads that are always available in any performance grade. Have 25,000 miles, several set of pads, including track days, with no issues. Still available Shelby branded.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the original Baer Shelby Pro Plus Brake System - Two piece rotors and uses corvette C5/C6 pads that are always available in any performance grade. Have 25,000 miles, several set of pads, including track days, with no issues. Still available Shelby branded.

I also went with the GT500 brake package for the front end from a freind who converted his car to a Super Snake. They were purchaced cheap had low miles and he was not going to be using them again. On the back I went with the 14" drilled and slotted rotor kit purchased from the same guy who went with the large calipers in the back. This was all done to help add more stopping power after the supercharger install. -Kevin

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a great choice! I just purchased mine when they offered the15% discount. I plan to put them on next month, and I hope they fit my 40 mm offset razors. I have 3/16 wheel spacer ready if they don't.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I believe the correct offset is 24mm front, 44mm rear. I may be off a digit or two, but its more important to note that they differ from front to rear. As I have noticed from years of participation here, "correct fit" can be elusive just when changing tire sizes, but correct IS attainable, stay with it.

I do not wish to start an argument, but I have not been comfortable using spacers. I have nothing negative to note about them, but I am haunted by my own experience. I am a lousy road course driver with lots of bad habits. Nevertheless, i have lost only one wheel over 25+ years of driving hard.

As a former LEO, I have learned how to punish a car. It takes only a few high speed runs to reveal the shortcomings of any automobile, including those "police interceptors". I could write a book about them alone, however, if you are heading into road course events, my recommendation is to try and avoid spacers if at all possible.

Just my own .02C, y'all be safe.

PS: Happy holidays to y'all and BE a "designated driver", don't need one. It's the best gift you can give to others.

• 1 month later...

Archived