TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Addition To The Garage

For years my wife's dream car has been a 1965/66 red Mustang convertible with a white Pony interior. We finally brought home a 1966 last week. It's a very solid car with what appears to be all original sheet metal. It is a true A code with the 225 hp engine. It's badged as a GT but wasn't advertised as such. However, all the visual cues so far indicate it might be a true factory GT. If someone made it into a GT they did a good job. It even has the correct brake pedal for the disc brakes. I still have a couple more things to check when I get it on a lift.

1966 Mustang

looks nice. FWIW, GT's didn't have the rear quarter ornamentation, and none of the '66 cars had the trim around the wheel lips. Enjoy your wonderful convertible!

Thanks. The rear quarter ornamentation concerned me initially until I discovered it's held on by double sided tape, so it wasn't born that way. The wheel lip trim was certainly added during its lifetime.

Hard to tell from 1 photo, but the front fender "MUSTANG" lettering within the GT stripe looks a bit crowded compared to the original GT spacing. Again, could be the photo? Rear quarters might be replaced? The replacements obviously don't have holes for the trim. Check the rear frame rails for the CRUSH tubes. When you fick on the fogs WITHOUT the headlights do the tail lights come on? Do you have a buck tag in the engine compartment?

Hard to tell from 1 photo, but the front fender "MUSTANG" lettering within the GT stripe looks a bit crowded compared to the original GT spacing. Again, could be the photo? Rear quarters might be replaced? The replacements obviously don't have holes for the trim. Check the rear frame rails for the CRUSH tubes. When you fick on the fogs WITHOUT the headlights do the tail lights come on? Do you have a buck tag in the engine compartment?

I'm getting mixed signals as to whether it is a factory GT or not. The fog lights and tail lights operate as they should. It has the proper disc brake master cylinder as well proper calipers and brake pedal. It has the exhaust hanger reinforcement in the driver side frame rail (checked via hole in trunk). I haven't pulled the back of the rear seat to see if it has the reinforcement plate on the floor pan. I can't tell if the fog light holes are drilled or punched but from what I've read there's no definitive answer on what it should be.

However, It does not have the13/16" sway bar.

No buck tag so I'll probably never know for sure. A lot of things could have happened in the last 50 years. I didn't buy it as a GT so if it's not I'm not disappointed.