TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Jet Cars, Still Nice To See In Person.

captdave

Out at Island Dragway this weekend. I was testing my new Sony/Zeiss 16-35mm f/4.0 & Sony G 90mm Macro F 2.8. New Sony A7R-II shipping this week from B&H, I hope!

Watch out for the Jet Cars. In all my 35 years of flying I don't think I heard anything as loud. When they take off (and you are standing right next to them) the sound is like a Concussion Grenade going off. Their 1/4 mile is like a Supercars 0-60 time, I missed it. Anyway, I worked for that shot.

19564697614_beb4ff2619_c.jpg

Someone posted a YouTube of the run. I'm standing so close I can almost touch Top Secret, yeah...that was a good idea!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-GZTHVIW0

CaptDave

Are they using J-85 as the powerplant? Just curious cause we used them as huffers for starting NAVY Jet aircraft (A-6/F-14) engines back in the day.

Are they using J-85 as the powerplant? Just curious cause we used them as huffers for starting NAVY Jet aircraft (A-6/F-14) engines back in the day.

I only shot the side & front from this location, they were to busy to talk!

The decibel level was nothing I ever heard.

They also burned 2 holes in the metal wall behind them at the Dragstrip, and I'm the only one in this location getting this shot!

CaptDave

Brings back a memory from the 70's at Utica Rome Raceway in upstate NY. They had a jet car racing a dragster. The 1st pass it blew over the Popcorn Stand with the owner in it. We righted it up. The 2nd pass the Jet car was in the outside lane and he blew the stand over again with the owner still in it. This time the owner said to leave it untill the 3rd pass was run. Fun Time.

I only shot the side & front from this location, they were to busy to talk!

The decibel level was nothing I ever heard.

They also burned 2 holes in the metal wall behind them at the Dragstrip, and I'm the only one in this location getting this shot!

CaptDave

They sure do light up the night, makes for a great photo.

• 1 month later...

Archived