TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Checklist For Ss?

You can go to the Shelby Build One link at the top of the page and see exactly what is included in the build as well as the options.

My car is done and waiting forme at Shelby. I remember when I got myGt500 there was a bunch of crap that seemed to be consistently off like the fluid levels etc. just checking in to see if Shelby tends to forget some random cap or other thing.

Oaktown, Only things I found on mine were: Make sure you check the brake duct holes in the front grill--make sure the plastic caps at the ends of the ducts are off--mine were left on. Also check the underside and engine for any fluid/grease spots/etc. - both to ensure there's not a leak but also to ensure you don't see it later and wonder if it signifies a leak rather than just something they forgot to wipe off. Definitely listen to their directions about breaking the gears in. I've heard others say that they ended up with some items that were "Shelby" versus the required "Super Snake". Can't remember which parts or which thread.

Good luck and enjoy the pick up experience.

Curt

It really depends on the options you picked. I would recommend checking the rear differential for leaks if you did a gear upgrade. Check your interior for stitching mistakes. I just ordered a new alternator and underdrive pulley. Check your brakes, make sure the new pads feel good. Check all the decal stripes, especially on the side with the "GT500 SuperSnake". The lettering is small and I had issues with mine not properly sticking to the paint. Other parts of the stripe have peeled up as well.

Posts on the SVTP site indicated that the tune on some of the SS conversions wasn't right.

One guy was still trying to get his fixed several weeks after taking delivery.

Another member went to Lund, after several attempts by SA failed to correct his tune.

Edited by 1 Alibi 2

Going to check out my SS. Anybody have a checklist of things to make sure of on the car, ie common flaws, mistakes or accidental omissions?

Any help would be welcome.

Make sure carbon fiber rocker panels are up in position far enough as I had one about 1/4" too far down in the front. Didn't see it at first being a black car. Shelby did pay to correct it locally for me. Also make sure Super Snake mats are in the trunk still in boxes. Look paint over very carefully, although I didn't have any issues there. Have your list of options with you to check off. Fluids were all good on mine.

I have a 2011 so I didn't know they changed that in the Super Snake builds. I was told by Shelby Parts that they are not making/selling "Super Snake" specific fuse box covers, etc. because of quality issues with the manufacturers. So it seems the majority of parts will be "Shelby" if offered at all. That's why I bought a "Super Snake" brake reservoir cover before they ran out, howvever I was too late to even get a "Shelby" battery cover.

• 7 months later...

Got another one. Both of my rear SS wheels have a 2nd valve stem on the rotor side of the spokes, closer to the calipers. Apparently this is for the TPMS sensor since it won't fit in the regular valve stem, which is also inside the spokes but closer to the outside of the wheel. One of these inside valve stems looks just like a nut on the end of a bolt. The other, however is a full length valve stem. I had the wheel with the longer stem on both sides of the car in the rear at some point. On both sides I later found out (while changing brake pads) that the stem had been wearing a hole in my e-brake line. While on the track last weekend, the stem cap was ripped off, the end of them stem looked like it had been filed down, and the stem broke at the wheel, making my rear tire go flat. On the passenger side, there was enough pressure on the e-brake cable, that it was ripped out of small bracket that holds it to the frame about 10" in front of the rear wheel. Driver's side cable bracket is still intact.

Lesson learned: Don't assume that any of the new parts have passed a fitment or clearance test. Check everything that was added on during your upgrade!!

• 4 weeks later...

Next item: gear upgrade. I had the 3.73 gears put in to replace the 3.31 gears that are OEM. A couple months after delivery, the pinion seal was leaking. Ford dealership replaced it and SAI paid for it under my warranty. Almost a year goes by and pinion seal is leaking again. I take it back to same dealership, and they replace it, no charge. 3 weeks later my rear axle locks up, pinion is shattered and drive shaft is separated from differential. Fluid everywhere. When it happened I was driving 45 mph in 4th gear and at a slight acceleration. Once I get the car back to dealership for inspection, more details to follow......