TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Airbag Safety Recall

kawwy600

There are already several topics on this subject. Here is a link to the one with the discussion on the most recent recall:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/85489-ford-air-bag-recall-affects-05-07-mustang-05-06-ford-gt-04-ranger/

Please, let's try to keep all of the relevant discussion in one place.

Just got the letter today. One letter listing my 2007, 2010,2011,2012 and 2014 Mustangs. I never seem to have trouble finding something to do !

And I thought mine was good, listing my 2005, 2008, and 2011...... :clapping::clapping: You win......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always wondered why race cars do not use air bags? Seems like a good restraint (and helmet) and good crumple zones are good enough for 220mph sans air bag...

Mostly because race cars are designed a lot differently. Race cars have full cages around the driver. And the driver has restraints - full harnesses and the Hans device. But they can only reach the steering wheel. So we mortals trade a little comfort and mobility for being locked in a very constrained space.

Plus, that constrained space leads to a lot of compromise. There is very limited visibility except for forward. When you are on the track situational awareness is the key. You don't care about rear view mirrors or blind spots when changing lanes because you don't. If you are changing lanes you do so because you just went around (at 150mph) the guy on your right side so you don't care about what the mirrors say (there aren't any).

I've driven my Ford GT and Corvettes on the track, but nothing can compare to what you get when you're in a Formula Mazda - a mini F1 car. With that little thing wrapped around you, you get it. I was driving a street car in the Vette and my GT, but in the Formula car, I could only look one direction - ahead. You had to "know" what was going on around you from the rear.

Tony,

You own my dream car! A Heritage Edition Ford GT, did you buy it new? Those models now are commanding great prices. I had to "cheap out", and get a GT500 lol. I like the fact that on some level, I am "driving the drivetrain" of a Ford GT, even though it's not an exact nut and bolt version. Wow, that GT is a great car! I watch all the Mecum and Barrett Jackson auctions I can, and always fast forward to either the Ford GTs, any Shelby, or the Bosses (429 is my favorite).

My air bag post was more rhetorical than inquisitory, but I find it ironic that the device that is supposed to save your life, could now be a factor in ending it! What Formula Cars lack in rearward, or peripheral vision, they more than make up for it with the forward view, without a doubt. My first time wearing a 5 point harness, was in a Porsche GT3, and it was a little awkward. You could not move an inch off the seat and almost felt claustrophobic, but it made driving SOOOOOO much easier, because you didn't have to brace yourself, like you do with only a seatbelt, when cornering. It allowed for a lot finer grip on the steering wheel, and more finesse in cornering.

Take care.

Archived